Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Manual Slide Retraction

We just took delivery of our new '07 3500RL and enjoyed a successful maiden voyage last weekend. Is there a way to manually retract the slides if there is an electrical or hydraulic failure? This was not covered in the "walk through" and I thought it would be best to consult the experts before calling the dealer. Thanks.

kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Shame on them for not telling you. In the front storage should be your hyd pump. Did they tell you about checking the hyd fluid level? Anyway on the end of the pump is a little sticker you can remove. You put an allen key,not sure of the size, into a drill motor and turn the pump that way. Might be a good idea to keep a battery operated drill with you when traveling. And learn from me - keep it charged so when you need it you don't have to wait on the charging process.
Did they also tell you that you have two gray tank dump valves?
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
kjtogo
Established Member

M.O.C. #6667
Thank you so much, I knew there would be a quick and accurate answer out there. We found the Galley Tank my noticing the label for it on the interior gauge. It took a little bit longer to find the valve handle, but we did and all is good.
kjtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Great, if you run across any more questions please ask. You know sometimes I think our Moc family here knows more about these units than the sales people do. I think you will find we are a great resource.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I just checked this afternoon and found the allen wrench size in the end of the motor to be 1/4". I just cut off the handle of an 8" T handle allen to get the length needed and left it in the drip pan so I wouldn't be hunting for it. If your setup is like mine, you'll have to drill about a 1/2" hole in the brace rod that supports the drip pan that the motor sits on to allow access to the motor end housing.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

There are two sides to these pumps. There's the 12V Elect. motor which drives the Hyd. Pump.
If there's a failure in the Elect side one can as mentioned use the Hex drive to turn the Hyd. pump and operate the slides. If however the pump side fails ( which has happened to at least one of our Members) you would need to disconnect the hyd. lines and with help you can actually push the slides in by hand.
The Member that had this happen had the slides out and was ready to leave the campground when this happened and couldn't get the slides in. He was successful pushing the slides in and He did the right thing by hooking the lines back up before heading down the road as this would keep the slides in while traveling.
The other failure that could happen would be the cylinder piston seal. If that happens you would have to push the slides in by hand and and use a Motorcycle tiedown or something like that to keep it in while traveling. I may have that problem now I'm going to talk with Lippert Mon. about it and I'll post what I find out.
Hope this is helpful info.
Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Push in by hand sounds a lot like WORK. On ours you can put a wrench on the square bar that connects the gear drives under the slide. I done this on another Montana to get the guy around a broken hose. BTW There is also a square woodruff (?) key between the motor and pump that has failed on other Keystone model.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote