Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2011, 02:55 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Got my 'Burner' phone

Which brings the question; Does Sprint hate old people visiting Northern Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota?
We haven't had a signal since we left Loveland, can't retrieve messages, don't know who, if anyone called, just a major PITA.
One of the things a new long timer learns, I guess.
So, after much hand-wringing and confusion, we went to Wally world and stood in line with all the drug dealers and bought a 'Burner'.
The dang thing is about as nice as a regular phone, has all the features a regular phone has, as far as I can tell. Could have got it for $9.75, splurged and got one for $14.00 that is a 'Flip' phone.
Came with minutes, but bought another 150 minutes. Got an additional 150 minutes free, I understand how ever many minutes you buy, it is doubled. They might as well just tell you they are half-price. Same deal..
So, now we have two electronic paper-weights and one drug-dealer phone. Hope no one calls and wants some sort of delivery, we don't know our way around these parts too well.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
You got some 'splainin to do Ozz!

How do you know about burner phones??????

We have ATT and the only place with no service was Tualatin, Oregon where daughter lives and inside Yellowstone.......

Betty and Paul
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Freon,maybe?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We had another service when we hit the road in 99- Very spotty service- Signed on with Verizon before the old contract expired- We were astounded by the improvement in coverage although there are some dead areas on US 50 in Nevada- It is impossible for any carrier to blanket the USA for economic reasons- So what if you are unavailable for a period of time? Our Verizon air card also works everywhere we have service so we can catch up via email when we return to covered areas- Just relax and enjoy your retirement- JHMO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, You may need a small external antenna. We travelled with a Wilson trucker antenna and a 3 watt amplifier. Rarely were we without service. We had everything thru Verizon including a Verizon air card for our computers. The folks at 3Gstore.com set us up and they are very RV friendly if you need them. It's hard to find a phone nowdays that doesn't cook you breakfast. I went looking the other day and the clerk asked: What do you want out of a phone? I said I wanted to make phone calls (DUH!!!) and maybe take a picture now and then. She called the phone I had a stupid phone and said I needed a smart phone. I told her I did not want a phone smarter than me so I stuck with my stupid phone...... Have a great day Jim..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
All of a sudden it seems like everybody is picking on OLD Ozz. lol
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Isn't the point to relax and enjoy the quiet w/o a phone ringing? So now that you have your burner phone, will you be learning a new language to go with it?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz, we have muddled along with our Sprint phones, when they don't ring, messages go to voice mail, which is fine as long as there are not any emergencies.

Sprint air card, however, was put on suspension in Las Cruces NM and we have a month to month Verizon wannabe which for the most part has been functional. There are days it will not stay connected, and we have to reboot, reboot, reboot, did I say we have to reboot???

We have a Wilson antenna, which as far as we can determine has done NOTHING to improve our connections. I know, everyone else swears by them, but, since when have CountryGuy and I ever done the normal, eh?? SIGHHH

We went through a month long saga, painful, fruitless, saga with Wilson, 3G store and amplifier(s). They, yes, they, went back.

So, that's our story, and we are sticking to it! LOL Not even Wilson could get us better results. And, believe me, it was not for lack of trying, hours and hours of trying, by them and by us.

Our Sprint phones did work in Custer, but, they did drop calls now and then.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I left sprint after years of service because of no service on the road, went with ATT same thing, drop them too. Now with verizon so far good. Better reception while on the road.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Everyone has a different lifestyle, different stages of retirement. You folks are forgetting that just 2 month's ago, I was doing 10 hr days servicing my customers. I had a very hectic life, one does not just slam the door on that. I have a nice young family man that is taking over my business, but there are people that I have served for 20 years and then some. Friends as well as customers. Gradually I am handing off that service to my guy. I would not be so nice just cutting them off. So, we have to make an occasional call, answer worried folks' concerns. It will taper off, already has.
We have the Sprint Sierra 3G-4-G hot-spot, it has been stellar, a couple of glitches, but absolutely reliable, not once have we not been able to get out, I call it our 'Hockey Puck' even had the Sprint guy calling it that when we took it back, had a bad battery. I have 3 batteries now, actually, one lasts about 9 hrs when plugged in to 120 volts (charger) it pulls more than it charges.
Dick, I learned all that language when I owned rental property in the 'Hood' 7 years of Hell. Been there, had the T-shirt stolen
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ain't rentals a hoot? We have been out of the landlord business for a long time now but are considering renting our home out when we go to Florida, NOT. I forgot about your previous comittments which require your availability.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote