Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Slide chatters

I just took delivery of our new 2011 3455. During the PDI, I noted that the main slide (passenger side) chatters very noticably when retracting; its not smooth like the other slides. I acts like something is too tight or out of alignment. The dealer's mechanic looked and said he didn't see anything wrong or out of alignment. He sprayed it with dry silicone spray and said it would "break in".

I know it's under warrentee so I'm not too concerned, but does this sound ok to you folks? Do you think it will "break in" or should I become insistent on them taking a more in depth look at it?
Thanks for the advise.

BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IMHO the answer is "NO!" It seems like your dealer and service mechanic just didn't want to be bothered by the problem. Glad you used the PDI and caught at least that problem in the inspection. The "chatter" is not normal and your dealer should be taking care of it! If he does not want to be bothered then I would be contacting Keystone and ask them for another THAT WILL!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

IMHO the answer is "NO!" It seems like your dealer and service mechanic just didn't want to be bothered by the problem. Glad you used the PDI and caught at least that problem in the inspection. The "chatter" is not normal and your dealer should be taking care of it! If he does not want to be bothered then I would be contacting Keystone and ask them for another THAT WILL!
Thanks for the reply. I'll take it in and make them smooth it out.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
No here too. That makes no sense. How come the other slides don't need breaking in? Challenge them to go to other rigs and check their slides and see how many of those need breaking in.

You gotta give them credit for imagination, but that credit will not fix your rig...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I agree 100% with Art. Don't take that kind of answer from a service tech!!! Those slides should move smoothly and without chattering. Sometimes they will squeal a little meaning time to spray the dry lube on the gears underneath.....The problem might arise when you are out camping and you cannot get them in or out because a gear has broken. Then you are really in a pickle. Make them fix it NOW!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:46 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The slides do not need a "breaking in" period. It sounds to me like the slide is binding. Our big slide will bind if I don't put a little pressure on the front corner of the slide as my wife retracts the slide. My dealer will be checking it this summer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
bill maietta
Established Member

M.O.C. #9955
Not only that, but you definately dont want to be stuck somewhere with a slide that wont come in. have it looked at again.
bill maietta is offline   Reply With Quote