Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Toilet Flapper (Fixed)

Well, I ordered a new seal kit from Dometic as I have replaced it before, however, before I could replace it something happened to the ball flapper in that it feels really weak when you let it go after flushing and it doesn't come close to closing.

Has anyone experienced this? Seems like it might be a spring or something. I'm wondering if it could be replaced or am I looking at a new toilet?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks Phil

UPDATE: There is a cartridge like device on the side of the toilet that controls the flapper to flap. Inside this cartridge there is a round spring that is wound about ten times. This spring causes the flapper to return and close on the seals. Well, upon inspection the spring was broke causing my flapper to not flap. Called Norris RV in Casa Grande and they had a replacement, went and picked it up, $20.00 and installed. Flapper now closes like there is no tomorrow.
Also replaced seals and me toilet now holds water again. Maybe this will prevent the smells from coming in the unit. I suppose I will have to replace the seals again sometime. Using these units full time takes its toll. Glad I am able to do some of these things myself, probably saved me $150 for a service call and labor. Think I will take the DW to dinner tonight on the money we saved.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!

BTW, Both those screws were on tight. First thing I checked......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Phil, while on the road, spoke with a guy who spoke of a similar (?) problem with his toilet. He was told that his problem may have been hard water build up around the seal...further told to attempt cleaning the deposits off in order to fix the problem. Sorry, I do not remember if he said cleaning off the hard water deposits fixed the problem. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Michael, Once I get the thing apart, tomorrow, I will look at the water situation. I still believe that something gave way also.

Still looking for someone that has had a similar problem

Phil
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, when ours started to do that I called dometic and they said to pull the mechanism cover off the left side of the toilet and check the screws that hold the whole pedal/flush assembly to the toilet. Sure enough they were lose, once I tightened them I had no further problems...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, will certainly check that today, Thanks and have a great winter.....
Old 11-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #6
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
I had the same problem that Dave described, loose screw behind the pedal cover there are 2 of them. Don't over tighten or it still won't work.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm not sure that is water scale that builds up on the seal! Actually, I remove the seal and using rubber gloves and a scaper, remove the scale buildup about once a year. Seal has been cleaned probably 3 times, and is still good.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote