Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
3400RL wet floor

We have a 3400RL for seven months now and have only one problem to date. The kitchen slide has a small cabinet between the stove and the refridgerator and after cleaning out the cabinet noticed the carpeting was wet. After inspecting the exterior slide seals, slide roofing, and refridgerator access panels for any potential leaks, I was at a loss as where the water was getting in because everything looked tight.There is an opening on the refridgerator side of the cabinet and thought maybe condensation from the refriderator was causing the carpet to be wet. Has anyone come across this problem and if so please advise us how to fix it.

madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just a thought, but make sure the condensate hose for the fridge is sticking out from the lower exterior refrigerator grille on the slide. It's a short black plastic hose with a white end cap, and sometimes they get pushed back into the grille allowing it to drain inside.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:02 AM   #3
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Thank you for your reply. We did that also and even poured water into the refridgerator tray to see if the drain hose was cut or leaking somehow. No luck on that one either.Even removed the access panel to see if any water was leaking at the fridge guts. It's driving us bananas as to how it's getting wet.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think you could rule out the fridge then. Has it been raining - or snow?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
We are in the panhandle of Florida and had some rain in the past few weeks but Keystone has a much better slide sealing system today than a couple of years ago. When it rains we are always on the lookout for any potential leaks because we did have slide seals leaking on our '04 3570RL.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Perhaps you might call your dealer or the factory -

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There have been several folks that have had leaks on the 06 - 07 3400 slides. Here were some of the found solutions:

Rubber slide seals not turning out on the kitchen when extended because of the short stroke of the slide.

Rubber slide seal too short or out of adjustment causing a gap in the center of the slide roof.

White tape covering the metal strip holding the rubber slide roof down at the outer edge of the slide was too narrow and would shrink and lift, allowing water to run under the tape and into the slide cupboards or down the wall (this was predominate on your manufacturer date based on the "7-months" you stated - Keystone now uses a wide tape).

Refrigerator improperly supported at the rear causing the fridge to push out on the vents causing leaks at the vent seal.

I do not know the specific folks that had these problems, but they have all been posted here on the MOC. You might try a search using key words like- slide- leak- 3400- etc. I'd go back about 120 days.

And of course there is always the Dealer option - assuming you have a good Dealer.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
WOW! Seems like you know how to use this forum. Thank you very kindly for your suggestion. We try to steer away from any dealers if any problem is fixable by us. History has taught us to fix it ourselves unless the cost would be to high or to involved and had to be fixed by Keystone. Also, we are fulltimers and not tied into one dealership. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hope you get-er fixed

We had a 3400 on order over the holidays, so I just made notes of everything that popped up on the 3400s so I could check it myself when it came in. We've had it now for 2-weeks, but I haven't even taken the plastic off the carpet yet.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
madeforeachother,

I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they found that the refrigerator trim was improperly installed from the factory. The dealer had to remove the trim and shim the rear to correct the height and reinstall the trim. Then they caulked and also drilled 4 weep holes on each side of the corner tabs to further channel the water. So far the fix has worked.

Good luck!
Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #11
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
Thanks for the tip. Was the water from the refridgerator? I didn't quite understand why the fridge trim had to be removed and where were the shims installed? The tabs you refer to, are they the four corners of the fridge?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had exactly the same leak. We had it once and only once. I finally went outside and found one of the vertical slide seals was turned under, part way down. I took the awning rod to get it straightened out and had no more leaks despite some very hard rains. We were in the same site. No more leaks.

Normally, these seals turn out fine on this slide, for us. In this case, when setting up something got between slide and wall inside the coach so after opening the slide part way we brought it part way back in, removed the obstacle, then finished running it out. This maneuvering did not allow the seal to fully turn out as it should have.

If the other suggestions don't help, check those outside seals.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:53 AM   #13
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by madeforeachother

Thanks for the tip. Was the water from the refridgerator? I didn't quite understand why the fridge trim had to be removed and where were the shims installed? The tabs you refer to, are they the four corners of the fridge?
The problem was from rain water coming in through the refrigerator vent door located outside. Apparently, the refrigerator and the trim were installed incorrectly at the factory creating a gap and allowing water to enter the trailer and get the slide carpet wet. The shims were placed underneath the fridge to level the fridge and trim followed by caulk to eliminate any gaps. The corner tabs I refer too are the two tabs that you use to open the outside refrigerator vent door. Here they drilled channels so when ever water entered through the vent door it would channel the water right out. So far I have not had any more problems with water coming in the trailer. I hope I've answered your questions. Let me knowif you need additional information.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had a problem with my kitchen floor being wet after traveling through rain. Actually the problem surfaced while going to the Service Center and the MOC rally last fall. The great folks at Keystone found that there had been a pan that was not installed in the bottom corner of the slide(just above the wheel) and the water spray off the tire came right into my coach. I do not remember exactly what they did to fix it, but whatever they did, through the 2,200 mile journey home in the rain, I had no leaks... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote