Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #21
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
We just made the same trip leaving Lake Tahoe on September 15th 2018 and we were gone 9 weeks, 63 days exactly and stopped at 27 RV parks. We went hwy 80 and many more toll highways and went under the Great lakes and to Niagara Falls and to Boston, and then down the east coast as far as Savannah, and then headed home from there. I can give you a complete list of things we saw and did, like Gettysburg, and Vicksburg, and Niagara Falls, and Erie Canal and the Gone with the Wind Museum, and Colonial Williamsburg, etc. etc. I think our favorite spots were Charleston and Savannah.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #22
GEWilson49

M.O.C. #21140
There’s an App for it

Roadside America app has offbeat roadside attractions US and Canada. Unlocking all regions is $5.99. I have been looking forward to seeking out the road trip attractions from the movie Michael. LOL
GEWilson49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 AM   #23
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
If you are going from New England to DC, DO NOT skip Gettysburg! I highly recommend a bus tour, as this is the only way to see the park. The guides are thoroughly trained, and compete for these jobs. This was one of the highlights of our 2014 trip! DO NOT skip it!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermanden View Post
We just made the same trip leaving Lake Tahoe on September 15th 2018 and we were gone 9 weeks, 63 days exactly and stopped at 27 RV parks. We went hwy 80 and many more toll highways and went under the Great lakes and to Niagara Falls and to Boston, and then down the east coast as far as Savannah, and then headed home from there. I can give you a complete list of things we saw and did, like Gettysburg, and Vicksburg, and Niagara Falls, and Erie Canal and the Gone with the Wind Museum, and Colonial Williamsburg, etc. etc. I think our favorite spots were Charleston and Savannah.
I have done this trip also. Savanna and Charleston were both great places. Long car tour for Gettysburg. We didnt get the CD for the tour but it was a mistake. If I ever get there again I would get the CD.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #25
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
If you come back the southern route New Orleans is cool. Get some alligator meat. It taste good. Also there is a RV place close to the French Quarter that is nice. However you can walk there from the park but it's not the nicest part of town. So we made sure that we got back before dark. There is so much to see and do in America i dont know why people think they have to go overseas to see stuff. Route 66 has some cool stuff to see along the way. We stopped at the crater in Arizona just outside of Winslow just like the song. Ya you have to stop there. Sandia Peak in Albuquerque new Mexico. Trip Adviser .com is a nice thing to check out.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM   #26
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I would like to add one more. The Archway is a museum just east of Kearney, NE. It straddles I-80. It tells the story of the pioneers and beyond. There is also an Indian house and a sod house next to it. It’s well worth visiting. We were there in 2012 and still have good memories of the place.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #27
Mikep44

M.O.C. #19040
Did this trip in 2016 from Oregon. Was on the road from 1 May to 1 Oct.

Agree with the fellow who recommended the Amana Colonies in Iowa. Stopped there on the way back - great place to see history. Also on the way home we wandered around a bit in Nebraska and found a little known museum (Pioneer Village) in Minden, NE. What a find! Lots of great stuff to see, cheap as can be and an RV park right next door. It is rundown - seen better days but the museum is great.

Stayed outside of Washington, DC for 7 days and rode the Metro (subway) to avoid crazy traffic. Also visited Beaufort, SC. An incredibly beautiful city left in intact by the Yankees during "The war of Northern Aggression."

Rode the blue ridge highway to DC from SC. Also took in West Point outside of New York City. Visited Cape Cod and then up into New Hampshire and Maine Crossed into Canada and visited Prince Edward Island. A very special place. The colors were not too important to us as we grew up in New England. Have a wonderful time . . . this is a great country with lots of helpful folks.
Mikep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #28
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
There is a bit more to add to North Platte. Not only the largest repair facility and the Baiey Yard for UP (ask about the hump), there is the Canteena. Ask any military person that passed through by train about it. Then there is Cody Ranch where you can tour Buffalo Bills house and Scouts Rest Ranch. Next to the Ranch is Lincoln County Historical Museum. Quick tour but you'll see a lot of neat things. South of town is Lake Maloney. Not as nice as Lake McConaughy just west of there but still nice. Lot of history there, as in many other places.