Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #1
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Texas State Fair Camping

Planning a trip to Texas SF October 2019. Can you recommend a campground nearby that would be close enough to make several day runs to the fair. Would like FHU for 35ft 5er.

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Based on my experience I can only recommend Cedar Hill State Park on Joe Pool Lake. It is about 25 miles from Fair Park and about 40 minute drive (depending on traffic). It would be worth it to me to be in a good state park even with the drive. I am not aware of any other good possibilities.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/cedar-hill
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Though I have never stayed at these parks, there is:

. Lakeside RV park in Forney
. Dallas/Arlington KOA

One that I have stayed at is Treetops RV park in Arlington. My only other advice to you is be very careful of just any RV park close to Dallas. Some can be very sketchy.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There is nothing close to the fair. At least anything you would want to stay at. Other than above recommendations, the Plantation Place RV Park east of Dallas and a little south of I-30 gets decent reviews on campgroundreviews.com.

Fair park (location of the fair) is just off I-30 and just east of downtown Dallas. Traffic on I-30 or anywhere near downtown is a nightmare during morning and evening rush hours. So making multiple daily trips can be a problem. The DART rail system is s good way to get there when traffic is heavy.

Traffic wise Cedar Hill SP may be the best choice. You could take I-20 east to I-45 north to I-30 east for a short distance. I-45 is typically easier getting near downtown than the other main highways.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
Gary and Buffy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22582
Went to the Texas Fair in Oct. 2017.
Stayed at the city park on Lewisville Lake, Lewisville TX. Nephew lives there.
It's just north of Dallas. Short drive to get the train (station in Carollton I think). Train will take you to the main gate at the fairgrounds. That is the best way to get there. Driving in Dallas is not for me.

Campground was pretty basic. Electric hookup, free dump site. Nice restroom/shower. Camp sites not paved but also not crowded. With senior discount was only $6/night. Number for the campground is 972-219-3742.
Had a TT then, but would not hesitate to go back with the Montana. Right on lake, quiet and nice. Nice management.
Gary and Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I can recommend Plantation Place, on the east side of Dallas near Mesquite and Garland. Freeway access is good, but as mentioned, driving in Dallas is a nightmare, just about any time. There is a decided lack of camping facilities in Dallas, and I would be careful choosing a site.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Texas State Fair

From time to time I have to work in our Dallas office which is downtown on McKinney Ave. We stay in Traders Village in Arlington. I find the commute to the office to be tolerable and it would be better now that the big Trinity river bridge construction is complete...but that is during rush hour. You will not need to hit the roads during rush hour to do the Fair. Traders Village has easy access to the George Bush Toll road then up to IH30 then east to Fair Park...I would guess 30 minutes one way. We love the trees and the pool at Traders Village.

We have stayed at both parks on Joe Pool Lake (the state park and the city of Irving park which the name escapes me). They are both nice. I would prefer the commute from Traders Village over the route from Joe Pool Lake.

In my opinion the BEST place in all of DFW is The Vineyards in Grapevine - but it’s too far and lots of highway construction for going to the Fair...but again you would not be driving during rush hour. Don’t take it off the list.

We have not stayed at Treetops in Arlington but we have driven thru and it’s nice - but it’s 15 minutes farther away from Fair Park than Traders Village. The KOA is minutes away from Treetops. For us the KOA is our last choice in DFW based on the week we stayed there in 2015 while I was working in Dallas. The dude across the street sat in his chair smoking and staring at DW all day. Creeped her out. The livers trailers in the back section could use a good pressure wash...they scream “this here is a trailer park”. Treetops has lots of shade which is a plus for TX in October.

There is a place called Sandy Creek north on IH35 at the George Bush tollway. We have never stayed there, just drove by the gate and the curb appeal did not strike us as WOW WE HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS PLACE. It may be fine - I don’t know.

We have never stayed at Lake Lewisville but I think it is a typical Corp park - nice but austere facilities. Haven’t been in DFW since March 2018 but there was lots of interstate construction thru Lewisville then.

We have never been by Plantation Place RV Park. You would have a 30 minute commute to Fair Park and the reviews are good. Traders Village or Plantation would be great choices.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote