Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
EMS vs Surge protector

My question is that i am looking at the EMS vs the portable Surge gaurd/Polarity tester. Both are from Progressive. I know there are a few that will say deffinately the EMS. With the cost difference I want to know how much I will be missing out on by going with the surge protector.

Cost is right around $350 for EMS and $100 for the Surge Gaurd.

Thanks
Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am a big proponent of the EMS simply because of low voltage protection. Typically when voltage drops below 104 Volts or so,damage is imminent to higher end electronics, namely air conditioners, microwaves, televisions, computers, stereos, etc. The EMS shuts off the low voltage feed to the rig before damage can occur to sensitive devices. The surge protector will protect you in the event of high voltage instances but offers no protection in the event of low voltage. It is a presonal preference, but hopefully this informationprovided will help in your decision.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

My question is that i am looking at the EMS vs the portable Surge gaurd/Polarity tester. Both are from Progressive. I know there are a few that will say deffinately the EMS. With the cost difference I want to know how much I will be missing out on by going with the surge protector.

Cost is right around $350 for EMS and $100 for the Surge Gaurd.

Thanks
Dave
By the price difference I definitely feel you are look at apples and oranges.
I suggest you compare the specifications on both. My first guess is one is 50 amp (EMS) and the other is 30 amp (surge guard).

I like the EMS because it gives you a six reading on my 50 amp system. Phase frequency, L1 voltage, L1 amperage, L2 voltage, L2 amperage and error code.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I watch my voltage with a volt meter when I get to the CG and then more often in hot weather. When voltage drops or is low we will change to gas, this will help the voltage till we find a different CG. I have a 30 amp surge guard.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
John here is the surge protector that I was refering to at this web site http://tweetys.com/50-amp-portable-surge.aspx It is a 50 amp as you see. I am very intersted in what you think of this item. Thanks

Bingo I am not so good with electricity but you explained that well. Still a little confused here. Main reason I do not want to hardwire an EMS in the unit because of my capabilities in electricity. The portable one outside for the same money makes me a little nervous due to the fact that someone could just walk up and help themselves. Would rather gamble a $100 than I would $350.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I am also looking at a surge portable protector rather than the hard wired as I am technically deficient when it comes to certain things like electronics. I have noticed that the price for the 50 amp is about $350 for which prompts me to ask if the $99 one is worth it. My biggest question is if the unit indicates that the connection has problems, what do you do? Are there some problems that are acceptable over others or do you just look for another site?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I bought the more expensive 50 amp EMS with the same concerns about theft. After speaking with a rep about this concern I he explained it has a built in metal plate for locking it on to the electric box or 50 amp cord. I feel it is secure when I leave the camp site. I didnt like the idea of having the hard wired version in the event there was a problem with the unit it self then I wouldnt have power at all.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49

John here is the surge protector that I was refering to at this web site http://tweetys.com/50-amp-portable-surge.aspx It is a 50 amp as you see. I am very intersted in what you think of this item. Thanks

Bingo I am not so good with electricity but you explained that well. Still a little confused here. Main reason I do not want to hardwire an EMS in the unit because of my capabilities in electricity. The portable one outside for the same money makes me a little nervous due to the fact that someone could just walk up and help themselves. Would rather gamble a $100 than I would $350.

Thanks
Dave,
Here is the one I was talking about and the one I have.
This one has relays that will open when low and high voltages are detected and a time on the relays that delay the flow of electricity to protect the air conditioners.
Again it was apples and oranges.
Here is a pedestal one similar to what you were looking at but with the features I was talking about. The $100 is better than nothing but if the money is there I recommend the more expensive.
The one you are looking at is a surge protection only.
I hope this helps

Dave and I got PI hard wired units for $289 and Steves got one for about $260 so there are places where they are lower.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Thanks John I understand what you are saying. Now that I read the post by sfish on being able to lock it I feel much better about the portable. Thanks all for your help. Guess its time to just decide and get the right thing. Good bye $300.00+. But I think the true EMS by PI is the way I will go now.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We've had the SurgeGuard 50 amp portable (the over $300 unit) for over 3 years. It has a contactor that releases at 103 and 132 volts. Also, it will not contact if there is a problem with the wiring. Having said that, if we were to do it again, we would probably go with the Progressive EMS because of the display for voltage, amperage and error codes, etc.

To maximize our initial investment with the SurgeGuard, we installed meters that provide us with the info we are looking for: Amps, Volts, Freq and Kw.

We have the locking hasp for the SurgeGuard and have not been concerned about theft. If you think about it, the thief would be better off to take the SurgeGuard and the anaconda cord (close to the same price as the SurgeGuard) and run like the wind.

Just have to hope for the best...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Guys, when you start worrying about the prices of things, remember that you usually get what you pay for.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I went with the EMS since it pretty much protects against all electrical faults, not just surges, and it gives you information about voltage and current consumption.

I have read that even with a surge protector on your supply, you should still protect sensitive equipment within the RV.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave (Champ 49) I use a bicycle cable lock on ours to lock it to the park's post.

Occasionally when we're overnighting and the power appears to be strong I don't bother to use it because it's a power booster and is rather heavy. Recently I realized if someone saw that (it's bright yellow!) sitting in our locker while I'm setting up, they could rather easily open the locker and walk off with the booster. So now I use that cable lock to secure it to the plumbing inside the locker when it's not in use outside. Call me paranoid but that thing is too expensive to let it get away.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I have the PI 50A hardwired. With the help of Countryguy I installed it using 50A plugs and receptacles. Now I have a hardwired 50A with remote readout that is removable and out of sight. I choose the PI because I felt I got more for my money.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote