Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
water filtration

I was just wondering how many MOC'ers filter their water as it comes into the 5er, and how many filter just kitchen sink cold water for drinking. I thought it might reduce the flow to the shower if filtered at the inlet. Jim

beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I use a whole house filter in series with a whole house pressure regulator and don't see any decrease in flow. I think all the faucets have flow restrictors on them anyway.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We use the blue disposable filter sold at Wal Mart...filters all water coming inside, does not seem to be any loss of pressure.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
Ditto with TLightning, we use the same. It has 3.5 gpm flow.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I installed an inline filter in the garage with no loss of pressure or flow. I did remove the flow restrictor in the kitchen sink. That made a huge difference.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As others have stated, all your faucets have flow restriction. Usually it is a disk in the connection that has a small hole in it to allow flow. Removing them will increase flow.

Pressure is a different matter. Most simple screw-on inline regulators are preset to between 40 and 50 psi. I use a better regulator that can be manually set where I want it. I use 60 psi.

I use the built in water filter with a anti-cyst, anti-heavy metals filter. Most of them are carbon block. Ahead of that filter and outside I use a sediment filter. The sediment filter is cheap and replaced every 3-4 months. The carbon block is more expensive and with the sediment filter ahead of it only has to be replaced once a year.

The sediment filter has a flow rate of 4-5 gpm and the main filter has a flow rate of 3-3.5 gpm. This dual system seems to be the best arrangement we have used.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We use a Seagull iv filter with separate taps in the kitchen and one in the bathroom and a blue filter from Walmart to remove sediment.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
We have a 2003 3280RL. I have thrown away the standard CW pressure regulator, installed the CW high-flow inline regulator ( $1 more ), and installed a System IV filter from CW (5 gpm). Big improvement in water flow! After the pressure regulator and filter, I have 7.5 gpm as tested with a gallon container filled in 8 seconds. Now I am cleaning all the faucet heads. I drilled out the holes in the tub aerator for faster tub filling.
royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
So far we have used the inline filter by Camco. Now that we have the Big Sky with the built in filter, I think we'll do as Stiles does. That is as soon as we understand how all the systems work!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bob,

I went around for a couple of months thinking I had a filter in the canister and that I had a spare. To my surprise the "spare" was the filter that had not been installed. The filter seems to filter the whole house. A new filter put the initial carbon dust through at the sink, lavatory, shower and even in the toilet.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We double filter the water coming into the rig.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Stiles -

Where do you get the anti-cyst/heavy metal filter? Any idea what they run? We had used a standard whole house filter in tandem with a charcoal filter after that. With the Big Sky, we will probably use a better filter as you suggested in the built in canister and a different one ahead of it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I bought my canister for The RV filter store. I chose the first one in the list with good hose connections. Then I chose the RV-SED5 sediment filter. It is 5 microns.

I chose Model: F1Pb (CFB-PB10)cartridge to put in the built-in canister.

As you can see, the prices are marked on the links I gave you as follows:
  • Canister w/hose fittings---------- $29.95
  • Sediment Cartridge/2 pack----5.95
  • Combo Cartridge removes cyst, lead, heavy metals----18.95
The rep at The RV Water Filter Store is very knowledgeable and helpful. Call and quiz him. Tell him what you want to do.

I have a 10' water hose and a 25' water hose. My adjustable regulator attaches to the water source. The outside canister is positioned between the hoses. I put the filter under the edge of the RV, out of the sun and then connect to the convenience center fresh water inlet. To travel, I coil the 25' hose and connect the ends. I coil the 10' and connect the loose end to the canister inlet/outlet.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
tulwick1
Established Member

M.O.C. #7209
We have a o8 3075 with the little cubby hole for the water inlet and fill valves. I permentaly mounted a filter can I purchasced from Lowe's. Used short hose to connect to the water inlet on the trailer. Put a longer one on the inlet for the filter can which makes it easier to hook up the water supply. To winterize Just remove the filter out of the can and blow out the lines. Works good for me and there is nothing else to do for filtered water.
You can get the filter of your choice for the filter can. We just use the carbon filter and it seems to do fine.

tulwick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:43 AM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Those sediment filters take a real pounding. We use a double filtration setup as well and the water supply at some campgrounds can be rough enough to plug that sediment filter in one outing. Grab a couple spares while you are there.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know we have one of those water purity checkers that you can buy at C.W and many other stores. A friend who worked at our cities water plant once said that there are federal standards for water purity and content that are strictly enforced and can be requested from your city at any time. We purchased one to check our city water against "spring water" or "bottled water" and found that it checked , in all cases the same or better. In everyplace we have been we have found the " purity and content" of the local water to be in most cases equal to or better than "bottled water.Now taste another matter. We have 3 filters in place here in Florida to get the Florida water to have a acceptable taste to us.However the purity and content was unchanged. We seldom purchase bottled water anymore, execpt when traveling, as it is , In our opinion..a rip off. Also in many cases even with filters in the system, water traveling through the pipes in your home or hose in the camper can contaminate the water.
Local C.G well water can be a problem as the C.G may not adhere to the federal standards..that is until the local board of health or EPA catches up with them. We actually had a C.W well system pull sand into our system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:32 AM   #17
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There are a lot of pros and cons about filtering water for RVs. We have found during all of our time in this lifestyle that it is better to filter than not. Many places we park have excellent tasting water and others it is almost putrid. For example, in Desert Hot Springs, CA, it is said that they have the best water of anywhere in the U.S. I admittedly have to agree with them. However, we still double filter. We have been other places where the water was so full of sulfur that you couldn't hardly stand it. Double filtering there helped immensely. You have to make sure that the filter you use is extremely good and Stiles has mentioned one of the best.

Truly, if you want the straight scoop on water filtering go to the Water Filter Store and click on Ask Rick. Ask him any question you want and he will give you the straight answer. He's been in the RV water filtering business for a number of years and won't steer you wrong. No question asked is too simple. If you don't know the answer, he does.

I know him personally and have relied upon him for all my fresh water accessories.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #18
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
That's the same place I go for my needs too Orv...he's been very helpful and it actually matters that you are taken care of.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #19
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The reason I filter the water I drink is that both Dianna and I have been tested for heavy metal toxicity, not by one of the fly-by-night whackos, but by a responsible physician, a former Chief Medical Officer for NASA. I have (or had) extremely high levels of mercury and tin. Dianna has moderately high levels of mercury and arsenic.

While there are many sources to accumulate these toxins, water is certainly one of them. All of the water consumed by both of us prior to testing came from certified city water supplies.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The "safe water drinking act" is the federal standard that regulates the purity of our drinking water no matter what the source. It is interesting and to those folks who may have a intolerance to certain chemicals should perhaps take a look. We got into this while a safety officer for the Federal Government concerning the suspected Mercury and lead content in the drinking water in a facility. We had to know what the Standards were in order to see if the tested level was within tolerance. These levels are sometime measured in parts per million or per billion. Trace amounts of Mercury can be introduced into the body from food and industrial sources and are normally not a issue. but high levels are very dangerous and Mercury has a half life of several months in the body. High levels in the body would be criminal on the part of the system delivering the water. BTW the levels in the example above were high due to a abandoned coal mine nearby.,A well drilled for the facility was contaminated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote