Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Basement TV

If I use a TV in the basement and plug in the coax to the basement connection and have a dish setup, will I be able to pickup the dish?
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Jack,

If you are feeding the RF signal out of your receiver back to your amplifier then yes it will. Can you view the satellite signal in the bedroom?? If so you are good to go. Don't forget to turn the amplifier off when viewing in that mode. I use Directv and can watch it on three TV sets. I also have the RF remote which allows me to change the channel inside and outside of the rig. Finally if your dish receiver does not have RF out then you can purchase an RF modulator from radio shack that will allow you to convert the s-video or composite output of the receiver to RF.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by druryg

Jack,

If you are feeding the RF signal out of your receiver back to your amplifier then yes it will. Can you view the satellite signal in the bedroom?? If so you are good to go. Don't forget to turn the amplifier off when viewing in that mode. I use Directv and can watch it on three TV sets. I also have the RF remote which allows me to change the channel inside and outside of the rig. Finally if your dish receiver does not have RF out then you can purchase an RF modulator from radio shack that will allow you to convert the s-video or composite output of the receiver to RF.
Thanks, that's the info. I needed.
I also have Directv,how did you get the signal from the living room to the bedroom?
Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Jack,

What model Directv receiver are you using
Old 05-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by druryg

Jack,

What model Directv receiver are you using
Model R-15
Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Jack

The R-15 will work great for your application. There are two coaxial jack plates in the entertainment center, a single and a double. One jack on the double plate feeds from your outside connection for cable/satellite. The other jack feeds back to the antenna amplifier. The single jack plate has a coaxial cable that feeds a splitter where one cable goes to the TV and the other to the antenna input on the surround sound / DVD player (for FM radio reception). There is a short jumper cable connecting the two jacks on the double plate as installed from the factory. The jumper should be installed when at a site that has cable available. When using Directv remove the jumper and connect the jack for the feed from outside to the jack marked satellite in on the receiver. Connect another coaxial cable from the Directv receiver jack marked out to TV to the remaining jack on the double plate. Set the switch on the back of the Directv receiver for channel 3 or 4 as desired. At this point if you set the amplifier power switch in the bedroom closet to off and tune all the TV’s to channel 3 or 4 accordingly, they should all display signal from the Directv receiver. Please note that all of the TV’S must view the same channel in this type of setup. If you want to watch different channels on two or more TV’S at the same time then additional cable and receivers are required at each TV.

I recommend moving the coaxial cable from the splitter that feeds the living room TV to the jack marked OFF-AIR input on the Directv receiver. Replace it with an S-Video cable and Left/Right audio cable from the Directv receiver to the TV. This will give a much better picture on the living room set and also allow off air channels from the batwing antenna to be received and viewed through the Directv receiver. Finally I would purchase an RC64R remote control from Directv or from Solidsignal.com. It comes with a short antenna that you connect to the back of the R-15 receiver. This remote is an RF remote and will allow you to change the channels from anywhere inside our outside your rig. Hope this helps answer your questions.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks druryg! I just tried a tv in the basement and it works great! I do have everything inside hooked up as you suggested and also deleted the splitter and replaced with a s-video cable to the living room tv. My one and only problem now is that the bedroom tv has inteference going through the picture,were as the basement tv doesn't.
I appreciate all the good advice,thanks again!
Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Jack,

I am glad the info helped. You might want to check the connectors on the coax in bedroom as it sounds like there is a bad connection. If you purchase the RC64R remote remember that you must "pair" it with the RC-15 receiver before it will function with the RF capability. This is accomplished through the guided setup on the RC-15 receiver.

Gerald
Old 05-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Jack,

One other note about removing the splitter is you will loose the "FM radio" reception to what I would guess is a QR4000 Quest Home theater system. I would leave the splitter in and hook it up as previously described. Also for all other readers of this post please understand that all Directv receivers are not the same and may require some additional equipment. As for Dish Network equipment I will not offer any advice but imagine they are very similar.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I just ordered the remote as you suggested from Solid Signal. When I hooked up the basement tv the interference in the bedroom disappeared.
As for the splitter I just deleted it and hooked up my XM to the receiver which now I can get in all rooms.
I was trying to figure out how to get some music out in the patio area,now with the tv in the basement I just use the XM on Directv.
Thanks so much Gerald,You've made my day!
Jack