Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Help! We have Company

Opened the basement door tonight and found that we were hosting a few mice....YUK...Went and got some spring traps loaded them with peanut butter and will wait it out. Any other suggestions. I have read dryer sheets...where do you put them, and what holes should you seal up. You would think that if this an issue with all rigs they would plug them up at the factoryAll and any help requested. We are new to fifth wheels, never had a mice problem in our motorhome. Teresa

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When we got ready to go full time, I asked the pest control service that we had used for years on our stick house to do a thorough pest control job on the Montana. He did and I find from time to time these little packets of rat and mouse poison under something or behind a panel.

Since I have never had rodent visitors, the packets are intact, but they are there, ready to do their job. I regularly spray the landing legs and rear stabilizers along with the tires to control pests of all kinds.

I find that ants love to use the water connections as a major thoroughfare, so I use a short-lived, biodegradable solution to wipe down the hose often, being careful not to contaminate the water supply.

I would wager that even though you were fortunate never to experience rodents in your MH, other MH owners have.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have used sheets of Bounce for years successfully. When placing the rig into storage, we place them in the basement, in drawers and under counters. We also place a few on the floor.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Just use a KING SNAKE. HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Tie a raisin on a trap it is less messy. My wife has used it quite successfully when she has found mice in the stick house
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
When I worked for Terminix, I learned to use a "Slim Jim" piece about 1/4- to 1/2-inch long on mouse traps. Mice seem to love it, it is hard enough to stay on the trap lever, it can't be licked off and, most importantly to many, it has enough preservatives in it that it will seldomly, if ever, turn moldy - unlike peanut butter or raisins.

If you don't know where the mice are coming in, spread a small amount of baby powder around each possible entry point and watch for paw prints. The powder is easy to vacuum up when you locate the entry points, and it smells good too .

The small, edible packets of rodenticide and the pellets in boxes do work, but the problem is the mice often dehydrate and die between wall layers on in places where you can't find them or get them for removal. This smells bad and is also unhealthy since it draws scavengers .

I hope this of help to you with your "visitors."
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
And the BIG advantage of using the Slim Jim is whatever you don't use you get to EAT !!!

That's why you want to always buy that foot long one and then maybe you need a big beverage to wash it down!! Ahhh the joys of RVin'!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote