Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Progressive Industries HW 50 C

I went ahead and ordered a " Progressive Industries HW 50 C" for our 3160. Starting to get nervous about hooking into a bad pedestal and cooking some expensive electric appliances. In reading some of the posts I have heard of some bad/expensive results. I did have to replace my converter in our Vanguard as it quit charging the batteries. I am wondering if it just failed or if maybe I got plugged into a bad pedestal. I ended up buying a new one with some slight modifications necessary to the cabinet etc for the new one to fit correctly. I think I am capable of wiring up the new Progressive unit but I am curious where most people put the remote. I was considering installing it in the cabinet with all the light switches or on the wall above a counter but under the upper cabinets.

Tom Marty

Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Once you get it installed you will enjoy more peace of mind. We have a portable so I can't really give any advice about location of the remote.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Dam Worker; Not sure of the layout of your unit but I installed my Progressive behind the wall of the basement, that was where I found I had enough wire coming from the rear plug to the main panel to splice it in without adding any wire or junction box.

I mounted my readout right above my thermostat which is directly above the main switch panel as you go up the stairs in our 3402RL. It is handy and did not require drilling any holes other than the mounting screws, the wire comes up behind the thermostat. See below

You will be glad to have it although you may never need it. Mine has never tripped at a campground but does at home if I try to use the AC on 30A with a long cord, it cuts off power to the unit due to low voltage. The HW50 does not "auto" reset you have to remove power to the RV before it will reset.

Good luck with the install, the only hard part I found was getting those heavy/stiff wires to fit in the rather small space in the unit itself.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a portable, but it's shut us down several times and probably saved us a lot of money. High voltage in Kansas, low voltage in Arizona and an open ground in Indiana. Went back the next year to the same campground and even though I pointed the problem out to them the year before the pedestal still had an open ground. Going back again this fall, it will be interesting to see if they still haven't fixed it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I mounted my remote in the cabinet next to all the switches. Looks like it belongs there.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Good choice for purchase, reliable unit
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have a Mountaineer and the light switches are on the hall wall. To install the remote readout, I took off the cover and the basement back wall and shoved a somewhat stiff wire up. I drilled a hole in the wall several inches away from the switch panel and could feed the wire thru from the back of the wall. Actually was pretty easy.
I did NOT hook up the unit, as I think you have to cut the original wire cable and splice in a short piece to the main panel.
Good luck.
p.s. I blew out the A/C unit in Nebraska when the voltage kept dropping (prior to Progressive unit). Another year, Progressive kept tripping in Lake Pend Oreille, Id. due to low voltage. Worth the money.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
I also mounted my remote unit in the "control center" with all the other switches. Below is a picture of the installed panel. The HW50C was located behind the basement wall, and behind the main circuit breaker panel. The wire run to the remote panel was up a void in the wall between wall studs, into the void behind the control center and to the panel. The was a bundle of wires following this same route that went to the control panel for various functions. I didn't remove the wood face of the control center, I was able to pull the black engraved switch plate and work behind the control center from there.

The Progressive remote panel is made to "surface mount" instead of "flush mount". I was able to cut a square hole in a plastic project box and mount the remote panel behind it with long screws. I wish Progressive offered the remote panel in a flush mount version - that would make mounting like this easier.

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Tom,

I mounted the remote panel for the EMS in the same place as all of the switches and the monitor panel, the cabinet above the clothes closet in the hall of our 3160.

I mounted in the actual EMS underneath the steps going to the bedroom. Removing the rear DS panel in basement allows direct access to the service entry cable behind the steps. My cable had enough slack in it that I was able to cut it and install the EMS.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:17 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I mounted the remote panel right by the thermostat. Wished I would have mounted it out of sight. The constant changing display bothers the grand kids when they are with us and sleeping on the pull out couch. No more than I need to check it opening the entry closet door would not be a big deal.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:13 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good buy.We have had the PT 50C for 10 years on two Montana's and it has saved the day many times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #12
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
Just finished installing mine today. Pick up my 3950 yesterday. Removed the back panel in the basement, cut the power cord which had enough slack. Then ran wire for remote up the wall chase with the other wires going to the control center and mounted the remote in the control panel. I agree the hardest part is getting the wires bent in the box.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
As stated it has saved us a number of times. I mounted the remote in the pantry wall. if need to do constant monitoring then I just need to leave the pantry door ajar.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably try to tap into the line in by the stairs which is where my transfer switch is located, as some of you have done. As for the remote I was thinking by the switches in the little cabinet or by the thermostat as the one picture showed. My other option is to put it inside the basement area on the off door side by the water and cable hook up. I usually have that door open when getting ready to setup as that is where I store my cords. I really liked the picture of the flush mount in with the switches.

I am supposed to pick up my unit from a different dealer that took over the repainting (front and rear cap) from my original dealer as they were not able to get it accomplished. Drive to Portland Thursday afternoon for Dish Trav'ler installation. I still have two fantastic fan covers sitting in my garage to install and the new Progressive Industries HW 50C should be here next week also. Have not been able to do much with the unit at the dealership since last fall.

Looking forward to starting the camping season. Part of our trip to Portland is to make sure things are working correctly before our warrantee runs out.

Tom Marty
Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Tom, it was pretty easy for me overall, but the wires can be tough as Ed said earlier, to get them in the box. Mine is located under the stairs behind the basement wall. I had plenty of extra wire to work with. I'm no electrician, so cutting through the main source of power to my new 5th wheel wasn't easy, but the rest was. I located the monitor on the stairs along with the rest of the operative buttons. Thankfully, the unit has worked, as advertised since day one. You made a good choice in monitors and it is another reason, for me at least, to rest easy.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:53 AM   #16
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
You made a great choice! Piece of mind is priceless. Replacing fried components is not. I love pulling up to a slot, walking over to the pedestal and plugging in my portable unit to check the pedestal before I even put my rig into the slot. It saved me once while in Santa Fe NM. A bad pedestal.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #17
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will probably try to tap into the line in by the stairs which is where my transfer switch is located, as some of you have done. As for the remote I was thinking by the switches in the little cabinet or by the thermostat as the one picture showed. My other option is to put it inside the basement area on the off door side by the water and cable hook up. I usually have that door open when getting ready to setup as that is where I store my cords. I really liked the picture of the flush mount in with the switches.

I am supposed to pick up my unit from a different dealer that took over the repainting (front and rear cap) from my original dealer as they were not able to get it accomplished. Drive to Portland Thursday afternoon for Dish Trav'ler installation. I still have two fantastic fan covers sitting in my garage to install and the new Progressive Industries HW 50C should be here next week also. Have not been able to do much with the unit at the dealership since last fall.

Looking forward to starting the camping season. Part of our trip to Portland is to make sure things are working correctly before our warrantee runs out.

Tom Marty
May I inquire as to your paint issue? Ours has a nasty blend line on the front, the guy must've painted it in the dark.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote