Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
LED Strips

Both of my LED strips on the CAP of my 2013 Montana have several LED's not working. Are there replacement LED strips out there?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:23 AM   #2
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
We had several go out within the first few months. Got them replaced at CW under warranty.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I also have a couple that are out. Any other suggestions other then going to CW.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
this seems to be a norm with the montana. i hope to get my montana's led lights replaced at the next rally.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Both of my LED strips on the CAP of my 2013 Montana have several LED's not working. Are there replacement LED strips out there?
I had the same issue. My unit was out of warranty so I did some searching and replaced mine with a waterproof set, much better quality than original. Not too expensive, but more expensive than some that you can find out there. I didn't want to have to replace again as quickly as the OEM ones. Easy job, the hardest part is the removal of the adhesive. The wire connections will need to be cut and soldered to the new LEDs. Make sure that all your connections are waterproofed and seal the hole that passes into the cap. LEDs are sensitive to polarity, thereby understand you need to get the plus and negative correct or the lights will not work. You will not damage them, but will not let current pass in the wrong direction as they are a diode,....Light Emitting Diode.
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
jhudson: Where did you get the new LED's? And is there enough extra wire stuffed into the cap to pull out to allow working on them?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #7
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

jhudson: Where did you get the new LED's? And is there enough extra wire stuffed into the cap to pull out to allow working on them?
I bought the LED's from superbrightleds.com 2 items WFLS Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strips. WFLS-B60-WHT:100cm[39.3in] Blue. You will have a little extra per strip to cut, and use in another area if you want. You have a choice of copper, black or white strips. I went with white strips and blue lights like the OEM, but I understand that the 2015 now have white lights instead of the blue.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/14

There is plenty of wire in the cap to allow you to pull out to work on the new strips. The replacements are slightly wider than the OEM, but fit nicely into the area. They are Underwriters Laboratories (UL) rated unlike the OEM ones.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jhudson

Quote:

I bought the LED's from superbrightleds.com 2 items WFLS Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strips. WFLS-B60-WHT:100cm[39.3in] Blue. You will have a little extra per strip to cut, and use in another area if you want. You have a choice of copper, black or white strips. I went with white strips and blue lights like the OEM, but I understand that the 2015 now have white lights instead of the blue.

There is plenty of wire in the cap to allow you to pull out to work on the new strips. The replacements are slightly wider than the OEM, but fit nicely into the area. They are Underwriters Laboratories (UL) rated unlike the OEM ones.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered mine.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #9
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the Link: Just what I have been looking for. I want to put some of these in my truck bed also.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Mine quit working after about 5 months. 1/2 do not light. Since I do not use them, they are still non-functional.

Just another example of Keystone trying to save a buck.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:20 AM   #11
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:

Quote:

Got both my LED strips in, and replaced the junk on the cap. Holy COW! They are so bright! I love them, and so easy to replace!

They look great!

Thanks for the link to that website.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:56 AM   #12
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Quote:

Quote:

Got both my LED strips in, and replaced the junk on the cap. Holy COW! They are so bright! I love them, and so easy to replace!

They look great!

Thanks for the link to that website.
You are welcome and you noticed they are brighter and so much better quality.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #13
egregg57
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15998
Send a message via Yahoo to egregg57
Did mine today. The LEDs are blue in color, but not a deep blue, kinda the color of this pages border. They look great. I am very happy with them!
egregg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

I have done it 3 times leemedic and posted it many times here on this forum(try the search Function on this) and I am the KING of the Bling eyebrow lights and have a cheap place to buy them AND after you install them smear Dielectric grease all over them and wipe off the excess and you will be all good http://www.ebay.com/itm/281191302117...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 09-04-2018, 03:06 PM   #15
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhudson View Post

Did you buy 2 sets of the 100cm [39.4in] ones? One for each side of the front cap?
Kellyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
Bought mine from Amazon....LED ribbon light strip.........less then 20 bucks and much brighter then originals.....and many different colors to pick from.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
I followed the recommendation from jhudson above and bought the LED's from superbrightleds.com 2 items WFLS Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strips. WFLS-B60-WHT:100cm[39.3in] Blue. I also chose the white strips and blue lights. Super easy to replace and looks great. I only needed 22" per strip so I had to cut a good amount off. Not sure how you would use the excess as there were no wires to connect to. Very happy with the install.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #18
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
My driver side is out on my 2016 front cap now and want to replace both sides now with better quality. Thinking about going with the Superbrightleds.com ones. I noticed the wires on those are Black and Red . Haven't attempted to remove mine yet but the ones on here who have replaced there's with these from Superbrightleds, were the wires from the factory Black and red so i can just match up the same color wires. Also when i cut to the length that i would need, what happens to the end that was cut ,do they supply a way to protect the cut off end or just place clear silicone over cut off end and the end that wires go through the cap. Thanks Chuck.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:38 AM   #19
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
I think the Montana wires were black and white no problem wiring superbrights up. We cut to 22" which fit perfectly and applied silicone to top where cut and entry hole.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #20
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Kellyjones, what year camper do you have and what length of LED,s did you get. I see there showing three options. I have to use which ever white color i choose, my camper had white light. Also which ever length i will need for mine are there certain spots were you must cut only for the length so it fits your length and is there a double stick tape on the back side to stick it on.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote