Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2004, 01:11 AM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Pantry

Our 2005 3295RK has a great kitchen, BUT the pantry is almost useless! Instead of pull out drawers it has pull out baskets (4) and one has to be careful as the baskets tip out. I am at loss as to what to use this area for Too heavy for can goods, too small for boxed items; maybe store bread & potatoes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
No pantry in our unit but I am sure someone out there will have a suggestion or two for you.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:32 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
syplace,

Don't have the wire baskets, but, how bout: napkins, paper towels, toilet paper, kitchen towels, etc.??

That stuff is light, but also rather bulky.

Also,have you tried finding plastic storage containers that fit in the basket, fill them with dry goods that are light, like noodles, macaroni??

Another example of needing to be creative if living the RV life style. I am always challenged and always looking for new "fixes" to my problems. Note, I say ALWAYS as in STILL.

Let us hear your solutions to this dilema, I am sure others will benefit from your experience.

Happy Trails!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:01 AM   #4
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Our unit also came with the four pull out baskets in the pantry. First thing hubby did, was add a piece of wood to one side of the rail system to tighten up the shelves. This prevented the tipping out/over problems. Secondly, we took out one basket and placed it under the sink (after hubby took out lazy susan and put in a shelf) to neatly store items. Now I have more space in panty for larger things (like boxed cereal) and no problems with canned goods which I store in the bottom basket.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Our unit came without baskets and no sliders or whatever where baskets might have been--just one large space with a shelf. We installed extra shelves and use for whatever--light weight groceries and etc as Pat is short and sometimes has to use the step stool and a long wooden spoon to fish things out. We have never had a problem figuring out what to store. More like what NOT to store--as the tendency is to think of everything but the kitchen sink....
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:26 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I'm not sure where your wire baskets are located or what would be considered the pantry but we don't have that in our 3295RK so am curious where that would be. Good luck with fixing it. I'd like to have what you do.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:39 AM   #7
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have the baskets in ours and I am not too fond of them. I may try what you did.

I went on e-bay and got a "gopher grabber" for the trailer that works very well with getting the things from the upper cabinet over the refrigerator. Now I don't have to get on a step stool every time.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:26 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Our pantry has vinyl covered wire shelves installed. Since it's used, don't know if that came in the unit or not, but seems to work pretty well so far. My main problem is where to put pots, pans and baking pans. Right now I have the bigger items in the bottom portion of the pantry which doesn't have the shelves installed, and the smaller ones on the lazy susan under the sink. May end up taking that "susan" out and putting a shelf in there.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:21 AM   #9
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have those wire baskets. We took two out so I could store taller cans. The little cans fit great, but then if you put too many in the basket falls. More women have to be involved with designing these things. If we keep this unit, Chuck will be making me some wooden drawers or wooden shelves that pull out.
Since we had the booth put in, I store most of my pots and pans there.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:16 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Ok, I went out to the Keystone site and pulled up our floor plans to see what they call the pantry and it's what I thought, between the fridge and TV, the bottom is where the garbage is, in the middle are 2 pull out trays and the top is just a cabinet. In the middle with the 2 pull out, deeper trays we keep the kids play station games, movies and DVD's and the one above that we have nothing. There isn't a shelf or anything in there it's just a big open space. Is that where the wire baskets are or is it where we have the trays?
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
In the 2005 model of the 3295RK, the slide out drawers found in the 2004 model was replaced with a cabinet door to the right of the intertainment center and left of the refrigerator. Metal baskets were used instead of shelves or pull out drawers. We also have a problem with the bottom 2 baskets falling off the tracks if filled with items. I also placed a thin strip of wood on the left side of the track rail, this tightened the baskets and so far have kept them from falling off the track. I am looking for a slide out rack to replace the baskets, but so far haven't located the right size. I have considered buying an in stock type at Home Depot and making a retrofit. Haven't talked to anyone to see if I can get a special size ordered.

Also I am still looking for a splash guard to go behind the kitchen faucet. Saw one in a motorhome at a fall RV show that was at the Kansas Speedway. So far haven't made it to the dealer that is about 60 miles SW of here.

Gary

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #12
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I have pull out shelves in my kitchen cupboards at home, and have seen the tracks at places like Lowes or home depot. I would think you could get those and then make a shelf to fit with a bit of edging around it so that things don't slide out when you jerk on the pullout.
When I was looking at the 95's I wondered if those little baskets would take the weight of anything.
We got to see a Big Sky 3295 at Amarillo.... fell in love!!!
But.. STill waiting for the house to sell!!!!! Grr.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote