Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2004, 03:22 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Wash before wax

Just a heads up for those who have not tried it yet. We acquired a heavy bug load this last weekend. (Admit that we have not yet waxed) Got out the Dawn dish detergent (not sure what the actual name is, they have several types, but it was purple color.) Used it at a reasonable strength with a soft brush and it did a great job of getting bugs and road filth off 5er and truck including nose, grill and wheels. Took about an hour to do whole rig. Sparkles nice. BUT we WILL be waxing before we take off on our cross country trip!!

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wondered about using Dawn but figured since it removes grease it also would remove the wax. Since you're waxing soon, no problem. I need to wax ours, too. At least the nose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:42 AM   #3
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Yep, most all dish washing liquids will remove wax, washed my trucks for years with dawn, always wondered why they dulled so quickly. *L* did some checking, now i spend the big bucks $4.00 for a gollon of that discount auto parts auto wash or simular, works well and leaves the wax in place. even used it on the RV's and so far. it does ok.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:07 AM   #4
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Dish washing liquid will remove the wax. Just like Flastro, I use to wash all my vehicles with it until I learned better. I've been using the car wash that BJ's sells in gallon jugs. I can't remember the name but it's gold in color and works fine. I bought the 4' to 8' extendible soft bristle brush that CW sells to reach the upper portions. You can connect the hose to the end of the handle and water will run through it to rinse / wash but as soon as you twist the hose the water comes on. It's more of a pain than a help so I've been just dunking it in the bucket, scrubbing, then rinsing with the hose.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote