Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #21
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
I had Reese 18K switch to Trailer Saver BD-3 Hitch for the new Montana about 18 months ago. The BD-3 has very positive lockup, is a nice hitch, but not cheap.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 02:55 AM   #22
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I like the B & W Companion, when it is off the truck the bed has no rails. Plus I pull stock trailers and 5th wheel flat bed equipment trailers that just use the ball in the bed.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #23
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
I have the hensley TS-3 air bag hitch. Absolutely no chucking and the ride has a much more cushion to it but is very expensive. If you just take short trips then it isn't worth it but if you travel long distances then it is. It all depends on what you are willing to spend. I had a 5th wheel with no mor-ryde on it and a curt hitch and the truck was very rough. On concrete highways it felt rougher than a rub board. I purchased the air-bag hitch and no more chucking and bouncing up and down the highway. The biggest draw-back to the TS-3 is it is one piece and weighs over 400 pounds so i use a front end loader on my tractor to install it each time i travel. The BD-3 hitch is two piece so that you can handle it much easier.There's a lot of choices out there so good-luck.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #24
sq320ret@yahoo.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #27116
If you have a newer truck with the puck system I strongly suggest you consider the Anderson hitch. It is a gooseneck related hitch which weighs only 35 pounds and is fully installed or removed in 30 minutes. Had Reese hitches for 20 years but find the Anderson is quiet and eliminates the bucking motion and the noise which goes with it. Needed to change hitches when our new 2019 truck came with a short bed. Glad we did. Without the bucking there are a lot of things which do not fall off tables or out of cabinets. A great bonus: much cheaper than a slider, about half especially without the installation labor. Hate to say it but Camping World has them for $560-850.
sq320ret@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #25
Bro. Paul
Established Member

M.O.C. #24531
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have only had long beds. Had a Pullrite Super 5th in the previous truck. Have a Reese Elite in the current truck. Pleased with both. Both have a wrap around latch mechanism that encircles the king pin. B&W and Curt are also liked by those who have them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the latest name brand hitches.

Andersen hitches have become popular recently. They are not gooseneck, but do have an adapter for a ball type hitch connection. Many have reported being very happy with them. But there have also been some recent reports of some bed damage and some pin box damage. So I am not convinced of that one yet. Pullrite also has a somewhat similar hitch to the Andersen.
I have the Andersen system and long bed 3500 Silverado. Love it. I use my truck bed slot to ease of removing and putting back very important to me.
Bro. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote