Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Montana vs Mountaineer

Did any of you look at the Mountaineer as you were looking at the Montana? What did you not like about the Mountaineer that made you pick the Montana?

Thanks!

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I tried to figure out the difference on these. One of the main things I saw is just the available options. Something that was standard on the Montana was an option of the Mountaineer, or it was not even available on the Mountaineer. For example it says Free Standing Dinette w/ 4 Chairs on the Mountaineer is an option, whereas it is standard on the Montana. On the Montana you can get the Level-Up, and it is not available on the Mountaineer. Same with the vacuum I remember - not available on the Mountaineer. To me the Mountaineer "felt" basically the same, you just can't get all the features as with the Montana. I don't know if they are actually built differently or not, or if the fixtures are any cheaper on the Mountaineer.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Check out the Montana 3582RL and the Mountaineer 358RLT as examples. Almost the same floor plans, with the Montana having a larger tub and being almost a foot longer and about 1100 pounds heavier than the Mountie. I'm having trouble getting into Keystone's web site right now, but if you look at both models and compare the cosmetics and the "standard" specs you can get an idea of the differences. I would guess there's at least a $5K difference in price, too.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
Also, when we were buying, the Mountaineer wasn't available with a king bed. Haven't looked lately to see if that is still true.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We are seeing Montanas and High Countrys arrive but no Mountaineers. We've not been told anything yet, just sayin. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our Montana was the only one we looked at that we liked the entire floor plan. It has booth seating, which we wanted, and they couldn't sell it so we made a great deal and we got what we wanted and they got rid of a rig they couldn't sell so we really didn't investigate the differences.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Weight.

The hickory edition has all the goodies I could want without needing a one ton dully to drag an extra 3000 lbs. up and down the road.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
for us it was easy as the Montana line didn't offer a Toy Hauler like our 2011 Mountaineer 347THT
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #9
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
They are built on the same line with the same frame and construction as stated on my factory tour. The Montana gets a lot of upgrades on gel-coat, flooring, cabinets, equalizer and better insulation etc. My Mountaineer was about 2000 lbs and $10,000 less than the closest Montana floorplan. My 2005 has held up so well I plan on keeping for the long haul. I've added wet bolt shackles, EZ flex equalizer, BFG Comm T/A tires, lazy boy Recliners, fireplace, Jack digital antenna, LED TV. I added a big drawer under oven, a hamper cabinet in toiler room, and a couch with full storeage instead of sleeper. (now I can honestly say it only sleeps 2) Fully loaded I weigh 12,000 lbs and it tows great.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
This is great information! The weight difference was a concern for me. The Montana line does NOT have a bunkhouse model that I know of. The Mountaineer is probably more rig than we truly need but the other lines did not have the features nor quality we wanted.

The Glacier Package gives the Mountaineer the same insulation as the Montana (R38roof, R9sides, R21 floor). The one we are hoping to buy has a king bed.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Not to hijack this but hey it's my thread .. what is a wet bolt?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by osgoor

A wet bolt kit is just usually larger shackles and bronze bushings versus the nylon bushings and the bolts have grease fittings on them.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #13
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Back cap on the Montana was important to me
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by osgoor

A wet bolt kit is just usually larger shackles and bronze bushings versus the nylon bushings and the bolts have grease fittings on them.
Thanks for the info but I still have no clue as to what it is. I am not sure what a shackle is as it relates to RV's. Does anyone have any pictures?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:A wet bolt kit is just usually larger shackles and bronze bushings versus the nylon bushings and the bolts have grease fittings on them.
Thanks for the info but I still have no clue as to what it is. I am not sure what a shackle is as it relates to RV's. Does anyone have any pictures?
[/quote]

The Montana's come with a heavy duty wet bolt kit.

It's just basically a shackle bracket kit on a leaf spring suspension system:

http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/r...pgrade-23.html

Old 07-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #16
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:A wet bolt kit is just usually larger shackles and bronze bushings versus the nylon bushings and the bolts have grease fittings on them.
Now I get it.... thanks
The Montana's come with a heavy duty wet bolt kit.

It's just basically a shackle bracket kit on a leaf spring suspension system:

http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/r...pgrade-23.html

[/quote]
Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 AM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
No problem. When I first heard of it I didn't know what it was, but I wanted it because everyone seemed to like them LOL. Then I found out it already came on the Montana - at least the late model ones, but must not be on the older ones and the Mountaineer...
Old 07-11-2012, 03:47 AM   #18
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Here is some pictures of when I had my wet bolt kit installed.

http://www.5thwheeladventures.com/tiresandshackles.html

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #19
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Here is a quick list I posted back in March of 2011. Some of it has changed as the Montanas now come with an arched ceiling. Feel free to join in and make mods to the list. Its kinda nice knowing at a glance what the differences are.

Having a 313RE and looking through numerous Montana's and Mountaineer's, I feel the High Country line falls between the two.

Here are some of the differences and similarities between the two.

Post from March.......
Oh my word... after much research on my part... We just pulled the trigger on a 2011 313RE. So I will spew as much as my reasearch as I can. Here are most of the items that was important to us when we looked. We wound up buying a 313RE High Country.

Montana
1.) 1/2 shackles and wet bolts are now standard
2.) Hardwood stiles around the cabinets, not just the doors
3.) Fiberglass back cap with backup lights ( same in my HC as well) no rear bumper, but most do have a hitch. (HC's we looked at did not have hitches.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears
5.) Name brand electronics inside Samsung...ect..
6.) Usually a little heavier
7.) A little thicker Gelcoat on the sidewalls (outside) ( same in my HC as well)
8.) More insulation R-21 floor R-34 roof R-9 sidwalls
9.) Slam baggage doors with hydraulic piston assist. ( I think the HC and Mountaineers are coming with this feature too 2012)
10.) Electric front jacks all the rear jacks I saw on the Montanas were electric ( same for HC)

Mountaineer
1.) 1/4inch shackels and plastic inserts ( same in my HC as well)
2.) Hardwood doors on the cabinets, wood grain sticker material on the stiles. ( same in my HC as well)
3.) Standard backcap with integrated backup lights, They usually had a bumper as well, Spare mounted to the bumper.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears ( Towmasters on my HC )
5.) Electronics are Vizio(made in USA) ( same in my HC as well )
6.) Usually a little lighter not by much ( HC is lighter yet )
7.) I found that the gel coat outside walls is not quite as thick as the montana.. Could just be me tho. and the mountaineers I looked at.
8.) R-14 in floor and roof R-9 in sidewalls (Unfortunatly I dont know what the HC is.. if I had to guess Id say its the same.)
9.) Standard no slam baggage doors.
10.) Electric front jacks optional electric rear jacks ( some you would have to use a powerdrill or something).

The most important part is floorplan. You have to like what your living in. At least that was the most important to us. Im pretty mechanically inclined so Ill add the 1/2 shacles and wet bolts down the road. As well as a 5th airborne or Mor/ryde pinbox if needed.

I would also add a good TPMS system as well.

Hope this list helps.

Ren
Old 07-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ren

Here is a quick list I posted back in March of 2011. Some of it has changed as the Montanas now come with an arched ceiling. Feel free to join in and make mods to the list. Its kinda nice knowing at a glance what the differences are.

Having a 313RE and looking through numerous Montana's and Mountaineer's, I feel the High Country line falls between the two.

Here are some of the differences and similarities between the two.

Post from March.......
Oh my word... after much research on my part... We just pulled the trigger on a 2011 313RE. So I will spew as much as my reasearch as I can. Here are most of the items that was important to us when we looked. We wound up buying a 313RE High Country.

Montana
1.) 1/2 shackles and wet bolts are now standard
2.) Hardwood stiles around the cabinets, not just the doors
3.) Fiberglass back cap with backup lights ( same in my HC as well) no rear bumper, but most do have a hitch. (HC's we looked at did not have hitches.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears
5.) Name brand electronics inside Samsung...ect..
6.) Usually a little heavier
7.) A little thicker Gelcoat on the sidewalls (outside) ( same in my HC as well)
8.) More insulation R-21 floor R-34 roof R-9 sidwalls
9.) Slam baggage doors with hydraulic piston assist. ( I think the HC and Mountaineers are coming with this feature too 2012)
10.) Electric front jacks all the rear jacks I saw on the Montanas were electric ( same for HC)

Mountaineer
1.) 1/4inch shackels and plastic inserts ( same in my HC as well)
2.) Hardwood doors on the cabinets, wood grain sticker material on the stiles. ( same in my HC as well)
3.) Standard backcap with integrated backup lights, They usually had a bumper as well, Spare mounted to the bumper.
4.) Same ol chinese goodyears ( Towmasters on my HC )
5.) Electronics are Vizio(made in USA) ( same in my HC as well )
6.) Usually a little lighter not by much ( HC is lighter yet )
7.) I found that the gel coat outside walls is not quite as thick as the montana.. Could just be me tho. and the mountaineers I looked at.
8.) R-14 in floor and roof R-9 in sidewalls (Unfortunatly I dont know what the HC is.. if I had to guess Id say its the same.)
9.) Standard no slam baggage doors.
10.) Electric front jacks optional electric rear jacks ( some you would have to use a powerdrill or something).

The most important part is floorplan. You have to like what your living in. At least that was the most important to us. Im pretty mechanically inclined so Ill add the 1/2 shacles and wet bolts down the road. As well as a 5th airborne or Mor/ryde pinbox if needed.

I would also add a good TPMS system as well.

Hope this list helps.

Ren
Great info Ren and much appreciated