Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rconkin

Is the portable surge/spike protector that CW sells good?
In my opinion what you need though is an EMS (Electrical Management System), which not only cuts power if too high, but also cuts power if the voltage is too low. Too low of voltage is just as bad as too high.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:01 AM   #22
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

In my opinion what you need though is an EMS (Electrical Management System), which not only cuts power if too high, but also cuts power if the voltage is too low. Too low of voltage is just as bad as too high.

The one I'm looking at on CW cuts power below 102 volts and above 132. I found them a little cheaper on another site, but, here's a link to the 50 amp one.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-50-amp/58465
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #23
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Our fix would be to adopt another campground as our favorite...if we wanted to "rough it," we would live out of our cargo pockets! Since we spent the extra bucks to have more things which run on electricity, we want to use those things. Can we adapt? Of course!
Our home/favorite local campground is owned by the company my wife works for and we only pay $10 per night for full hookup. It's very well maintained and has a great playground area for the grandkids so putting up with the 30 amp should be ok. Maybe DW should become president of the camping club and see about getting services updated to 50 amp.
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #24
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
For what it's worth: we find adapting to 30 amp to be simple and straightforward. The process has been described well by posts above. We have both 50 and 30 amp and adapters for the power cords. At home we have ONLY 30 amp at our storage, and often in campgrounds we either choose to use 30 or find only 30 available. The only time we feel we really HAVE TO have 50 is in the summer heat in Texas when we need both AC to cool down--even then we do not need both after the the original cool down--at least not yet.

Just remember: microwave, electric water heater, hair dryer, curling iron, etc. NO 2 at the same time. This is the one situation where water heater should be set to propane. That way you don't have to think about that one.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #25
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

The one I'm looking at on CW cuts power below 102 volts and above 132. I found them a little cheaper on another site, but, here's a link to the 50 amp one.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...y-50-amp/58465
Hi Ray,

Oh yeah, that's a good one - I was thinking you might be looking at just the surge protector. Progressive Industries also makes a good portable one in 30 and 50 amps that has a digital readout:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...rotection/9614

They also have the hardwired versions, one with onboard digital readout and one with remote display. I went with their 50 amp Hardwire Surge Protector EMS-HW50C.

Greg
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a 30 amp power cord and adapter as well as the 50 amp OEM cord. There are occasions that only 30 amps is available like some rallies.
Adaptable sure. We just have 70 less amps to work with. We like to use everything we can so we stay away from 30 amp service where possible.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #27
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Our fix would be to adopt another campground as our favorite...if we wanted to "rough it," we would live out of our cargo pockets! Since we spent the extra bucks to have more things which run on electricity, we want to use those things. Can we adapt? Of course!
Our home/favorite local campground is owned by the company my wife works for and we only pay $10 per night for full hookup. It's very well maintained and has a great playground area for the grandkids so putting up with the 30 amp should be ok. Maybe DW should become president of the camping club and see about getting services updated to 50 amp.
Good luck with the president thing! I would think that those campgrounds that do not have 50amp service will not survive in the future...too many of us who want to use all of our toys.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #28
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
By putting in these inexpensive meters (which we showed to Aram at last year's Fall Rally in the hopes that he would make a pitch to have them installed in new Montana's, and btw we gave him all the contact information for the company) we know exactly how many amps we are using. Because we know what we are consuming, we have comfortably stayed in state parks (like Letchworth in NY) and used just 20 amp service. If you know what you are using you can adapt as needed...Right now, sitting in New Orleans with fair weather, we are using just 4.3 amps while connected to 50 amp service (of course our lights are all LED's )...

We have eleven interior 12 volt lights on; a 32" TV along with the satellite dish and DVR; our router and Pepwave; refer on electric, 3 Fantastic fans on; a printer, 3 laptops; our scare, porch, stair & frame lights on; ice maker; and a myriad of other devices on...

We also use and recommend a surge protection device; we have a portable 50 amp SurgeGuard.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote