Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Replacing the Marathons with-(Decision P. 2)

This is a rather old topic, but an important one to say the least. Went down to the local tire store today to find out what I could replace the Marathon Chinese bombs with and the dealer recommended G614s running at 90#s pressure which I think is a good idea. But, the rims are rated for 3500 pounds and therein lies the problem. Is the recommendation they gave me and using the rims/wheels I have on the rig a viable option? I sure don't need to run them at 110 pounds and 90# would be good for me.

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Too bad tires don't have a min/max value. Running at too low a pressure, even if per a load chart, could cause the tire to break seal at the bead, especially in a tight turn when putting max side force on the tire. Had a friend who wanted a softer ride in his Pontiac, but went into a hard corner a little to fast and rolled a front tire right off the rim. Just my idle thoughts, I'm running my 614s at 105
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When the Goodyear dealer put my 614's on they put them on at 100#. I asked about it and they said for my trailer that's what they would do.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
donr827
Established Member

M.O.C. #11937
I run my G614 at 100 pounds. The Goodyear Wingfoot dealer where I purchased the tires from told me to not inflate tires at more then 100 pounds. He said to use the inflation table and add 10-20 % increase over that figure.
Don
donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Whoever these "tire experts" are that recommend running tires at max inflation need to explain what a tire pressure loading table is for. Why would the tire manufacturer put out such a table if they recommended that the maximum pressure be put in the tire. Go to Goodyear's website and download the table and do your homework based on your rig weights. I do know that on our rig, I run around 95-100 psi which is in compliance with the load tables. If you need further assistance, e-mail or PM LonnieB here on the MOC, a reputable tire dealer who is trusted by many of us here on the forum. I hope when he reads the thread, he is not drinking a soft drink or other carbonated beverage, because the reaction that he may have will prove that that stuff burns like crazy when it comes out your nose!! I am pretty sure the only Tredit rims that will carry 110 psi are the ones that are rated for 3750 pounds per rim, but many on the forum have the 3500 rims and do just what you are proposing to do (Running at a lower pressure). Just trying to be of help!! Oh, by the way, we are very satisfied with our G614's, they are a very good choice in my opinion, but I, personally, would not recommend running your 3500 pound rims at 110 psi.
Bingo
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Bingo, I have no intention of running the 614s at 110 pounds with 3500# rims. In fact the dealer recommended no more than 90 pounds and I agree with that. Tim
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We run our 614's at 95PSI.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with you Tim, another poster recommended running them at 110 psi, that is simply wrong and could be dangerous information if someone abided by the suggestion. This can as always be taken only as my opinion, but I believe this time the opinion is strongly rooted in fact.
Bingo
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I would ask Lonnie B.'s opinion on this one.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The tire pressure vs load charts are there to get the proper pressure for that weighted load. If the tire is over inflated, it will tend to round out the tread and wear faster in the center. Plus the traction will not be as good as if it were properly inflated for the weight. Properly inflated it will put more rubber on the road and spread the weight more evenly across the width of the tread. Better traction/better wear.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:18 AM   #11
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

The tire pressure vs load charts are there to get the proper pressure for that weighted load. If the tire is over inflated, it will tend to round out the tread and wear faster in the center. Plus the traction will not be as good as if it were properly inflated for the weight. Properly inflated it will put more rubber on the road and spread the weight more evenly across the width of the tread. Better traction/better wear.
I agree that the pressure should be adjusted to put the maximum tread to the road. Incidently when I purchased my G614's from Discount Tire they put them to 90# BUT told me they inflated to 90# because that was the max their compressor could inflate to!!
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Quote:
quote:By bncinwv

If you need further assistance, e-mail or PM LonnieB here on the MOC, a reputable tire dealer who is trusted by many of us here on the forum. I hope when he reads the thread, he is not drinking a soft drink or other carbonated beverage, because the reaction that he may have will prove that that stuff burns like crazy when it comes out your nose!!
Bingo, coffee burns just as much as carbonated beverages, but it is much easier to clean off the desk and keyboard.

Quote:
quote:By BB_TX

BB_TX, you hit the nail square on the head. I would add, over inflating the tires for the load they are carrying makes for a rougher ride. You may not feel it in the TV, but the trailer suspension, the trailer itself, and its contents feel every jolt. The tires, set to the proper inflation for the load, are the first component in the suspensions shock absorbing function.

Quote:
quote:By tim43

This is a rather old topic, but an important one to say the least. Went down to the local tire store today to find out what I could replace the Marathon Chinese bombs with and the dealer recommended G614s running at 90#s pressure which I think is a good idea. But, the rims are rated for 3500 pounds and therein lies the problem. Is the recommendation they gave me and using the rims/wheels I have on the rig a viable option? I sure don't need to run them at 110 pounds and 90# would be good for me.
The G614 set at 90 psi will work just fine IF the weight of the trailer doesn't require a higher pressure. If possible, weigh your trailer (on a certified scale) while loaded for a trip to see what the actual weight is on the axles. Weighing each individual tire would be ideal, but is difficult in most cases. The only concern I really have is the wheels. If they aren't rated for 110 psi and the dealer installs tires on them rated at 110 psi, someone could mistakenly inflate the tires 30 psi above the psi rating of the wheel. Chances of anything catastrophic happening are probably slight, but the chance is there, and someone could find themselves held liable for something very bad. If your wheels aren't rated for 110 psi, and the dealer installs the G614's on them, it is your responsibility to tell anyone working on your tires that the wheels aren't rated for 110 psi. Most tire shops will know this when they disassemble a tire/wheel for repair, but most will NOT know if they are just checking air pressure for you.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Lonnie and all others, Thanks you very much for your input and especially to you Lonnie for closing it out so nicely. I do plan to get the 614s and also weigh the rig. Plan on no higher pressure than 90# and less if possible. I fully understand it is my responsibility to inform anyone working on or filling the tires to inflate no more than 90#. Thanks again, Tim
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Took the rig down to the local scales today and weighed the truck and Montana. The gross weight on the trailer axles was 10580# with the right side being a little heavier at 5410#. Left was at 5170#. Based on those weights which are about what I usually carry, less some water in the fresh tank if it is a long trip, I plan to go with LT235 85R16E tires, probably the B.F. Goodrich Commercial TAs. Thanks for your previous input and any that follows. I should have weighed the rig first and it would have saved a lot of time. Tim
Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tim43

Took the rig down to the local scales today and weighed the truck and Montana. The gross weight on the trailer axles was 10580# with the right side being a little heavier at 5410#. Left was at 5170#.
Was this empty, loaded?
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Loaded as I usually roll.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Weighing an empty trailer is a waste of time (and money if you have to pay for the weigh-in). This is why shipping weight or weight out of the factory is also a waste since it can easily cause you to miscalculate what to use for towing it and select a tire. Then a tire's construction and reputation are becoming more important these days.

The most important numbers are the GVWR and the axle weights. The second most important are the actual weights especially at the axles. The tires should be purchased with some margin to support the axle weights. I believe the tires and wheels should be able to carry the maximums, but the inflation might vary if you are not at the maximum.

LonnieB, would you please confirm that for a tire table, that one should not go below the minimum that is listed. Like someone mentioned in a prior post, there IS a minimum and that minimum also depends on the road type. For example most hard packed dirt, gravel, asphalt, concrete, etc. roads are what the tables are intended for. Running on less psi can be done (even when trying to soften the ride), but must be maintained for the weight of the vehicle, empty or not and the road conditions. For example, my truck requires 65psi in front and 70psi in the rear to satisfy the GVWR, but when I'm not towing I can run as low as 55 psi because the tire tables for my tires allow this for the weight of the truck at the time. I do reinflate when necessary. I've heard but have not done even much lower psi when driving on soft sand, but i hear you better inflate them back up as soon as you get on harder surfaces or you are in deep trouble.

This part is a little off-topic but inflation is mentioned here throughout, but maybe a new topic should be created to explain when running less psi at times is okay, but it's very precarious and you better know why and how to do this and be prepared to make adjustments as conditions change like going from sand to hard surface, or going from no load to towing a trailer or carrying a load.

I hope LonnieB takes this on to start, since then it would have the most clout plus he'd probably be the best at getting information we might need (sorry to commit you). Being the current resident MOC expert on tires - bless you and may you rest in peace, Glenn Adams - tire discussions are very common and there is more to inflation than picking a number and there are many rig combinations to consider. We must all learn how this works to be safe and to help others.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Parkranger07
Established Member

M.O.C. #12093
Parkranger07 here,
I will get this down soon I guess, not sending the posts before it is ready! I have been reading the tire posts with great interest as I have been thinking about getting the G614 tires. Do any of the rims that come with load range E have 110lb capacity? That would really be a nice feature of Keystone. Does anyone know what the 110lb rims cost? Appreciate any replies, everyone have a great day and happy travels.
Parkranger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Most of the newer rigs have 110 psi rated rims. I know our 2010 mfr'd in Sept 2009 has them. It's embossed into one of the spokes on the back side of the rim.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Parkranger07,
Welcome to the forum and as a suggestion, if you go into your profile (menu at top right of page) and edit the signature area, you can list your rig model number and year, then when you post you have the option of including your signature and whatever you put in (photos, text, etc) will appear at the end of your post. This information is handy when members of the forum reply to postings since as you can see from the previous post, the newer rigs have the 110psi rims. If there is a stamping on the inside edge of the rim that states 3750 pound capacity then your rims will handle the 110 psi tires. As has also been noted, the 110 psi may not be warranted since the pressure should be determined from a Load Capacity table (see goodyear's web site for a PDF). For example our 2011 3750FL has the 3750 pound rims and after consulting the load tables, I am comfortable with our rig with the tires in the 95-100 psi range. As Art stated, knowing your rig loaded weight is an essential part of the equation.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.