Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Never lube bearings from Mor/Ryde IS /Suspension

We are putting the IS Suspension System upgrade with the disc brakes on next week. Have heard some negativity about the never lube bearings.

Looking for feedback about the never lube bearings. Also if anyone has the IS and disc brakes, what do you think about them?

Thanks,
Jim & Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just had it done this week, so can't really judge yet, but I can tell you it STOPS much better. I asked the Tech what he thought about the Nev-R-Lube Bearings. He thought they were fine for medium weight rigs such as Montanas, but no so good for rigs like Mobile Suites that weight up in the 17 to 20K range. They do carry a 5 year/100K warranty so time will tell. I did opt for them with my install. Best of luck
Old 10-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Have had my IS system for over two years and really enjoy the stability and braking abiity. No problems with the Dexters as yet. Everything seems to go smoothly. We did have to install a Prodigy in our '08 Chevy 3500 as the mini voltages in the Chevy IBC would not operate the controller for the brakes. I think that has been fixed now. MorRyde, in Goshen, did the install and they were very professional. Even let us stay in our unit while it was in their garage. Lunch on them each day also. If you really want the best system, opt for a MorRyde hitch pin and a TrailerSaver air hitch. We opted for the onboard compressor so we can air and deair from the cab of the truck. Sweet deal.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
al-an
Established Member

M.O.C. #9719
We had the Never Lube Bearings on a previous fifth wheel. They were great until we went past the five year time to replace. They are very expensive to replace. If I remember corrctly they were 150 to 175 each to replace. And they are recomended from Dexter to be replaced every 5 years or so many miles. We would much rather clean and repack bearings than spend that kind of money on replacing bearings every 5 years!!! When we replaced ours 2 of the bearings fell apart when we took them off. So your choice we would not get a camper with them again.
Ken and Julie
al-an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by al-an

We had the Never Lube Bearings on a previous fifth wheel. They were great until we went past the five year time to replace. They are very expensive to replace. If I remember corrctly they were 150 to 175 each to replace. And they are recomended from Dexter to be replaced every 5 years or so many miles. We would much rather clean and repack bearings than spend that kind of money on replacing bearings every 5 years!!! When we replaced ours 2 of the bearings fell apart when we took them off. So your choice we would not get a camper with them again.
Ken and Julie
Ditto !!! No Nev-R-Lube bearings again for me if I have a choice.
Good theory, but they are under-built for the weight they carry. Think about it,, how many trucks do you see replacing their bearings every five years. No reason Dexter can not build a bearing that needs no service for the life of the trailer. The five year warranty- useless as they are not going to come out on the highway and replace a wheel that came off on us. I would be the first in line if an ordering option was to have "Timpkin" or another major bearing maker offering lifetime no-service bearings as an option! No reason in todays day and age of technology that we should have to fool around repacking or replacing wheel bearings. JMHO
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
I had never-lube on my 2001 3670. One got a little rough running when I was checking brake shoes for wear at 50,000 miles. Don't remember cost for sure but was around $100.00 at that time. You can't buy them a local NAPA or other parts store. I got mine at Dexter.
Jars #1529
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks. I was thinking about the never lube bearings but after reading this, I don't think so.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
There are two sides to every coin (unless you have the two headed version). I opted for the Nev-R-Lub to go with the disk brakes. With drum brakes they need routine inspection, so repack the bearing while you're at it. If done by a shop approx 100 to 200 bucks (my guess), with disk no need to disassemble to check pads, so why mess pulling the caliper and hubs to check bearings. Set of 4 Nev-r-lub approx $500. So if you have to replace them after 5 years it's close to a wash between std and nev-r-lubs in cost. Only time will tell and it's one less think I have to mess with. If mine fail, I'll let you know.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:55 AM   #9
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
A good friend of ours has a five year old Mobile Suites, with Nev-R-Lube wheel bearings. He had what he thought was a braking noise so took it in for an inspection. He was told that his wheel bearings were bad, brakes were okay. The cost estimate was $970.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Thanks to all for the information.

After the rally Jim decided to have the Mor Ryde IS and the disc brakes only installed. I can say that the brakes worked very good on the way home. A few drivers didn't seem to realize that a truck and 5th wheel can not stop instantly.......

Marge
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Steve & Cindy, that's exactly what the Tech are MOR/ryde told me. Heavy rigs such as Mobile Suites were too heavy for the Nev-r-Lube Bearings. I would think that estimate is a little high unless the hubs were also damaged as I was quoted 550 (I think) for a set of 4 bearings.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had never lube on several different 5th wheels to include the Cambridge by Keystone. Never had a issue, the key is to make sure the system is torked to the right torq number. They should be check each year.

I have been told the new system my SOB will have a oil bath system similar to whats been use on big Trucks.. I'm not sure which is best, I do know some are having issues with all systems.. I do like the never lube systems. Didn't know it was so expensive to replace??

I do like the IS system by Mor/Ryde, I almost had it installed on our Cambridge when I had the Disk brake system installed. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote