Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
3500RL

I am thinking of trading my 2980RL for a new 3500RL with 5500 onan generator. Now my questions are: generator, gas or propane. Whats the best. For me gas but there might be something I do not know about propane(that being everything). The 3500RL, how does it handle with your Ford 250. Dodge 2500 or Gm 2500 diesels. Is it to much weight or to long. I am sure I can count on the pros who pull these and I value your input, positive or negative. I know many of you have the 3400RL so your input is very much needed, because the units are much the same except the 3400 weighs more.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I really like the 3500RL with the option to close in the living room as a bedroom. They are nice looking units with the transom glass over the doors. As with the 3400RL, I like the w/d closet and open bathroom. You'll have a deeper pantry than ours.

Looks like the pin weight is nearly 500 lbs lighter than our 3400RL, so you might slip in spec with the 3/4 ton, although it seems each truck manufacturer offers different payloads. The generator itself weighs 294 lbs setting on the landing gear, so I would plan for about an additional 100 lbs pin weight.

I like the propane generator because I don't have to worry about the hazards of a gas tank or carrying gasoline. I also don't have to worry about sour fuel the next spring. Fuel consumption is about the same between the two, so about 10-13 hrs is all you'll get out of the fuel. The only advantage to gasoline is it doesn't interfere with your LP supply, but we have never found that to be an issue with our type use.

Regardless of what you decide, have fun!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We had the Onan 5500 in our Cambridge, and it was Propane. I recomend Propane because your going to have Propane. I don't know if your Truck is gas or Diesel but if its Diesel you then would have to have a Container for gas. I don't have a Generator in our (SOB) because we don't boondock. And really only stay were we have full hook-ups. We actually didn't use the Onan much at all. And it will add more Pin weight. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

P.S. We also have a Tool Box 50 amp Generator but leave it at the stick and bricks.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
Guess I would have to disagree with those that favor propane for the generator. Our experience, with a motorhome, was that any extensive use of the generator really took the propane down fast. Of course with a motorhome you can not remove the propane tank to get it filled but need to drive the unit to the propane station.

Also had a friend with a propane generator in his pickup camper and had it removed because of its demand for propane. He bought a Honda gas generator in place of it.

Dean Nelson

DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Can't help yopu with the generator but I can comment on the Ford F250 SD Lariat Super cab LB pulling a late 2006 3400RL. We have a 2003 F250 7.3L Diesel SRW with 3.73 rear end ratio. It handles it fine after we added Firestone rear air bags. The 3400RL pin weight was a bit much for this year and model truck. I don't recall if the pin weight on the 3500 vs the 3400 is significantly different. Everything balances out nicely at slightly over 5,000 lbs on each axle, truck and 3400RL. No real power issues. We have about 8000 miles under our belt with the combination including mountain passes in the western part of the US. If the generator is in the front garage that may add more pin weight than we have. That would be my only concern. I haven't thought about this much recently or weighed it recently but I think we are running about 2500 lbs pin weight. But have weighed each axle several times and have never overloaded any axle, truck or trailer. We looked at the 3500 before selecting the 3400RL. We preferred the openness of the 3400RL vs the 3500 since we don't have overnight guests very often. But your needs and preferences are what is most important.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have the propane generator and regret going that way. It eats a lot of propane for one thing. For another it is a pain trying to keep it running when you have to balance the outside temperature and the level of propane in your tank. It's caused me a lot of problems. If I had to do it again I'd spend less on a generator, like perhaps a Honda 2000 and more on solar. Solar is the way to go, IMO.

BTW, I have the Onan 5500 generator.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
I can't provide any info on the generator as we don't have one.
We pull a 2005 3500RL with a F250 Superduty Powerstroke, and it handles it fine. F250 is bone stock, no airbags, no chips. It did come with the LT275/70R 18" tires which have a bit more carrying capacity than the smaller tires. Prior to the Ford, I pulled it for 2 years with a Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison. I did have Air Lift air bags on it. It too handled the 3500RL with no problems. I only got rid of it because I got new truck fever and my SIL wanted a diesel, so I sold him the Chevy and bought the Ford. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the numbers from the scales.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
We have a 2007 - 3500RL. I've owned it for 2 years and had the Onan 5500 propane installed after about 6 months. We are basically weekend campers and most places we go to have at least power and water so the generator hardly gets used - maybe 12 hours in a year and a half. It is sure handy to have when we are at a site with no services. Because of the limited use of the generator, propane usage has not been a concern. The convenience of just pressing a switch to get power without having to worry about carrying an extra gas can is worth it to us.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

I have the propane generator and regret going that way. It eats a lot of propane for one thing. For another it is a pain trying to keep it running when you have to balance the outside temperature and the level of propane in your tank. It's caused me a lot of problems. If I had to do it again I'd spend less on a generator, like perhaps a Honda 2000 and more on solar. Solar is the way to go, IMO.

BTW, I have the Onan 5500 generator.
You're correct about solar. We have solar but we have also found the need for a generator (Honda 2000i) during those times when the sky is overcast for a couple consecutive days.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
So what I am reading from you guys; the weight should be fine,just watch the loading weight, and if I do not use a generator much skip the money for and use my 3000 Honda. Sounds good to me. Thanks for all the input.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
These threads are always the same, it "pulls fine, handles fine, does fine" ad nauseam. However, if you will take the time and do the numbers, you will find the vast majority of 3/4 ton trucks will be over the manufacturer's GVWR with any Montana. As has been mentioned on this forum many times, look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post, it will tell you the cargo capacity for that particular truck. Compare that number with your pin weight, hitch weight, passenger weight and everything else when ready to travel...you won't like what it says.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
Tom,

Ford calls the total(truck, content, passengers and 5th wheel weight) guidelines: GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. They also provide weight guidelines on each of the axles, cargo capacity(pin weight), etc, etc by model and configuration. In our configuration 2003 F250 and Late 2006 3400RL we are right at or occasionally very slightly over) the GCVWR that Ford recommends. So I would take some issue with the words (vast majority). We have over 8000 miles on this combination in widely varying road and driving conditions some of which were quite adverse and a couple times external caused events that were really dangerous. At no time have I detected that we were pushing the truck limits or safety limits that created a unsafe environment because we were right at the GCVWR or I wouldn't be doing it. One externally created near miss would have been the same at 50% of the GCVWR. So yes, the manufacturers guidelines should be followed and respected but in many years of experience of hauling heavy trailers cross country, there are many other external variables that negatively impact safety considerably more than being fully loaded at rated capacity. The key is driving alertly, sensibly and defensively. My biggest frustration relative to hauling these rigs is relative to leaving adequate space in front of the truck while driving. In heavy and even in light traffic conditions there just seems to always be someone who has to switch lanes right in front of me and take away the safety margin. I used to get really worked up about it but a very high percentage are usually driving a very small car (rice rocket) and probably aren't going to do a grass hopper stop unless they run into something standing still and then the end result won't be much different whether I'm running at 50 or 80 or 100% of GCVWR.

My driving habits are totally controlled by the external environment conditioned by knowing how heavy I am, what my maneuverability is and what my stopping capability is. I drive differently because I know I'm running heavy. Would I prefer a truck that could handle twice as much, absolutely. But that is not in the cards. So I guess what I'm saying in summary, the more you are pushing the recommended rating of the TV the safer and more defensively you have to drive. What I have found is that I now drive allot more safely even without the RV attached. Have become much more safety conscious and this is good.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

These threads are always the same, it "pulls fine, handles fine, does fine" ad nauseam. However, if you will take the time and do the numbers, you will find the vast majority of 3/4 ton trucks will be over the manufacturer's GVWR with any Montana. As has been mentioned on this forum many times, look at the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post, it will tell you the cargo capacity for that particular truck. Compare that number with your pin weight, hitch weight, passenger weight and everything else when ready to travel...you won't like what it says.
Only when asked do the 3/4 ton truck owners give you their answers. I never will tell someone they can safely pull one of our Montanas with a 3/4 ton truck. Though I've been towing our 3555RL for over eight years with a 3/4 ton truck, I realize the safety problems caused by the "over weight" condition. I've been lectured several times and when the time comes for another tow vehicle I will upgrade to at least a one ton. Probably another Ford, or maybe a Dodge (I've always loved that Cummins engine).

Orv
Old 09-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

......... or maybe a Dodge (I've always loved that Cummins engine).
WHAT!! After you just told me your Ford was running better than ever at over 100,000 miles! You'd go to Dodge! You were my ROCK.....my IDOL....and you say you might get sucked in by that bacon face grille on the "other" brand! - Another Sreigle .....Jee-Zoots!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

......... or maybe a Dodge (I've always loved that Cummins engine).
WHAT!! After you just told me your Ford was running better than ever at over 100,000 miles! You'd go to Dodge! You were my ROCK.....my IDOL....and you say you might get sucked in by that bacon face grille on the "other" brand! - Another Sreigle .....Jee-Zoots!
Brad,
Sorry that I may have disappointed you. I'm thrilled that anyone would put it in writing that I was their idol. I have a son who works for Chrysler! Need I say more? The thing that has always intrigued me is that the Cummins has many less parts than other diesels and still has that power. But, my Ford is wonderful. It's only when it gives up the ghost that I'll consider anything different.

Orv
Old 09-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Orv, hahahahaha

I'm actually a fan of all of them, and have owned all of them with no specific favorite. I just thought for sure you of all folks would have gone back to Ford given the mileage and use you have gotten out of yours.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:20 AM   #17
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I see the weight police have been well represented on this thread, makes one proud, huh.. Funny, I pull a 3400rl with a (gasp - OMG, are you insane) 3/4 ton. I am well within the weight loading on my tires, axles
(front-rear and trailer) but the gcvwr is over, shame, shame, and shame. Will I spend 30K for a bigger truck; I don't think so, not until this one is worn out.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Yea, those weight police...imagine thinking you should adhere to what the engineers at the factory have determined to be limits for the trucks they build.

My suggestion for this thread is that the people who like to make the "pulls fine, never had a problem" posts with their 3/4 ton trucks need to tell the 'rest of the story.' When somebody asks what an appropriate TV is, they are looking for honest and complete advice and suggestions. The rest of the story would include a comment in the post to the affect that "as wonderful as my 3/4 tows, I'm over weight." Then the questioner can decide whether he wants to tow over weight or not...do some research and go from there.

The "tows fine never had a problem" post is only half an answer...the person seeking information on our forum needs, and should get, all the information available to make an informed decision.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Yea, those weight police...imagine thinking you should adhere to what the engineers at the factory have determined to be limits for the trucks they build.

My suggestion for this thread is that the people who like to make the "pulls fine, never had a problem" posts with their 3/4 ton trucks need to tell the 'rest of the story.' When somebody asks what an appropriate TV is, they are looking for honest and complete advice and suggestions. The rest of the story would include a comment in the post to the affect that "as wonderful as my 3/4 tows, I'm over weight." Then the questioner can decide whether he wants to tow over weight or not...do some research and go from there.

The "tows fine never had a problem" post is only half an answer...the person seeking information on our forum needs, and should get, all the information available to make an informed decision.
I think you'll note that my post does exactly what you say.

Orv
Old 09-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Weight police must have been off this past weekend -- I was at the local Montana dealer picking up a part and in comes a 3400 being pulled by a Ford gasser!! Not an HD either -- he was pulling it with an OLD F150!!! Truck must have been from the 80s if that new. In any case, we (a neighbor and I) were admiring the trailer and I asked him if he was a bit over loaded -- said it was his fathers' truck, his F350 Super Duty was in the shop again!! ( his emphasis) and he had to get this trailer delivered so his dad told him to take the truck -- it would handle anything he could load on it!!! Mike asked him how it handled and the young man (well, younger that either of us) said he would never pull anything like that again. No problem starting but he told us flat out that there were a few times he expected that truck to lift up off the ground as the trailer bounced. Guess that it just goes to show you -- given the right hitch and gearing, even a 50cc motorscooter will pull one of these things, it is just guiding and stopping them that becomes problematic. In any case, wish I'd had my camera to document it -- Mike took a picture using his cell phone but didn't keep it.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote