Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
IOTA Automatic Transfer Swithch

Here is one for the electric guys, I have the IOTA ITS-50R automatic transfer switch ( 2008 3400RL ) . Been plugged into a 30 amp service for nearly a month, same pedestal I have plugged into here for the last five years we have been coming here. I kept smelling this plastic odor, well finally it got worse, then the 30 amp service breaker tripped a couple times, got to looking in the battery compartment, and what I assume is the incoming power to the transfer switch was almost too hot to the touch. Pulled the cover off, and now I know what the smell was, melting wiring, With the power shut off I taped up the one wire that lost some of the outer covering, tightened all the wiring lugs. The one white wire is all that seemed to be getting hot, and discolored the wires next to it. None of the wires are touching each other , so I have no worry about them shorting together. The big question is what got it started in the first place, and after tightening everything, and taping the wires in question nothing has even got slightly warm, everything is cold to the touch. No more heating up, everything in the trailer is running okay. Tightening up the wire lugs, the ones in question seemed tight , I loosened them ,and retightened .

I contacted a Montana dealer in Utah where I live, and he told me that he thinks there is a recall on that transfer switch. I won't know until tomorrow, when he talks to Keystone, but looks like they will replace the switch. I am more concerned about the burned wire then anything. I can't see why the switch would cause the wires to get hot unless they were loose, and arcing. Service guy told me it could be because we were drawing too many amps thru that 30 amp service , but we are not doing anything different then we always have on 30 amp service. Any thoughts on this ? Thanks

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Generally, actually always, a loose wire will overheat. You probably skillfully repaired the problem by tightening the connection post.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides loose wiring you might need to know what the recall is about. Another problem could be the materials used in the device. Maybe their construction wasn't up to snuff. There's one thing that an engineer comes up with the right capacity of component, but then it's another thing that the component is not manufactured correctly so that it meets the specs. (Remember, that Goodyear Marathons have the right engineered specs for our trailer but it seems that maybe they are not built to those specs in China? Maxxis uses the same specs but you don't hear of their problems)

Maybe the recall includes this problem that the materials do not withstand the AC current properly or maybe that they found that their techs were not tightening things done correctly and they'd rather do a recall than have owners open their boxes and fix things themselves? It's good that you are now getting some attention to this. Electrical problems can cause all kinds of damage to devices and your rig. And may are not comfortable enough to take care of things themselves. Good job you were able to do your own.

At least, thanks for making us aware of this. While I am pretty diligent about registering things I buy so I can receive notices, most times I get some, but sometimes not. I don't have an ITS-50R but I have had other products involved in recalls or must remember to go out and look for them on my own (and I probably don't do this enough).

Keep us posted.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The recall was for loose lugs from the factory installation. As Ozz says, sounds like you fixed themre problem anyway. I don't think the recall was for replacement, but rather for the techs to tighten the lugs which were not torqued properly. That is what I remember, but I have to put a disclaimer with that after being subjected to several days of plus 100 degree heat index readings!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
They recalled for loose lugs and later recalled to replace IOTA transfer switch. We have had both. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

They recalled for loose lugs and later recalled to replace IOTA transfer switch. We have had both. Larry
Yes, just got of google on this subject, first was the torque, and the second was replacement. I never have received a recall.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I've never received a recall notice either, but also have not had the problem. Actually, I have NEVER been notified of a recall for anything.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RJI47

I've never received a recall notice either, but also have not had the problem. Actually, I have NEVER been notified of a recall for anything.

I am not sure, but not all have them. Some may correct me if wrong, but if you have the inboard generator or the generator prep. then you will have the transfer switch. If you do, the least you should do is check the torque on the wiring lugs. They are supposed to be 45 inch lbs. Of course this should be done with no power hooked up or generator running. If I would have known about this problem I would have checked them every trip, they are no big deal to check, but it is something that really should not have to be checked if done properly.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
I do have the generator prep, but still no notice of recall for transfer switch problems.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Your dealer gets notified not you, unless your dealer notifies you. Dealer notified me both times.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we had a letter from Keystone back in Oct-Nov 2010. had it checked and then had melted wires in March 2011. Keystone replaced the transfer switch
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
This is the notification: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...e&refurl=email
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
The recall says that KEYSTONE will contact the owners and the dealers will replace the switch for free. It also says that the "new" recall which includes replacing the switch was dated Feb. 2012. I've had my Montana in to the dealer since then, and still was never informed about the recall.