Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Hints for a good PDI

I,ve read some posts about PDI's and the time some of you have spent on them. We will be driving 150 miles to pick up our new 3402 Hickory Edition. Can anyone offer any tips on the less obvious things to look for or questions to ask at delivery. I want everything to go as right as it can.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
This one covers a lot of material:

http://www.montanaowners.com/PDI.html

Good luck, hope it helps!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Take your time, ask questions, and if the person doing the walk thru can't answer your question ask for some who can.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Go prepared. Do not hurry or allow your excitement to cause you to move to fast. Take a notebook. There is no dumb question, so ask until you are satisfied. Make sure you understand the way to operate everything, then do it yourself. See everything function, hot or cold see the AC and heat work. Be prepared to stay a couple of days, either at the dealer or at a nearby CG. The best way to learn is to live in it. It's worth the time investment. When you are completely satisfied, then return home. IMHO Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If you can, take an experienced RVer with you. Second set of eyes never hurts.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Unfortunately many of the areas prone to shoddy workmanship, plumbing , electrical wiring, loose wiring,holding tank support are all in the underbelly or behind panels and can not be seen. It took us two days a over 8 hours for the PDI on our 06 Montana. It is going to take a lot longer than that on the new Big sky.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:39 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Somethings you will only find the hardway during usage and at the most inconvenient times. Thats a downside to buying a new rig. Get all the bugs worked out, all the mods finished, get it exactly right, and then the wife sees a new one and wants it and we start all over. Part of the RV lifestyle!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

It took us two days a over 8 hours for the PDI on our 06 Montana. It is going to take a lot longer than that on the new Big sky.
Rich, do you have a list that you're using for this? Did they stay with you that whole time or just kick you loose and come back? I would be more comfortable if they just let me go over the trailer by myself for the most part, other than something I might not know how to use. I guess that's a good way to divide the PDI - things you need to be shown how to use, and then your inspection of the product which would be the majority of time.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

It took us two days a over 8 hours for the PDI on our 06 Montana. It is going to take a lot longer than that on the new Big sky.
Rich, do you have a list that you're using for this? Did they stay with you that whole time or just kick you loose and come back? I would be more comfortable if they just let me go over the trailer by myself for the most part, other than something I might not know how to use. I guess that's a good way to divide the PDI - things you need to be shown how to use, and then your inspection of the product which would be the majority of time.
The listing that can be found on this forum is a good one.

They opened up the camper for us and we went over it stem to stern by ourselves with the PDI. We gave them the list of issues we found and told them to call us when repaired. Two weeks later we were back and another PDI which passed muster and a demonstration on how everything worked.

However the first problem we had was a shorted wire in the under belly that would have required the belly to be dropped to be seen.

When we got it home we removed panels, invertors tie wrapped wiring and should have dropped the underbelly.

After 6 years in a Montana and the experience on this forum we are a lot more educated and this PDI will be a killer. We would have no problem in having them hook it up and send it back to the factory.

We have purchased the top of the line highest $$ montana made and we expect the quality to reflect that.No execptions.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #10
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Take as many people with you as you can and have them open and close everything that will open and close, operate every switch and faucet or valve, take drawers out to look inside, run their hands on all the panels and trim, open every window, plug something into every receptacle, try the leveling system and awning, make sure the satellite connections in the convenience center work (plug a portable antenna into those connections to see if you get a signal), and don't forget to inspect the undercarriage and the roof.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #11
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:

The listing that can be found on this forum is a good one.

They opened up the camper for us and we went over it stem to stern by ourselves with the PDI. We gave them the list of issues we found and told them to call us when repaired. Two weeks later we were back and another PDI which passed muster and a demonstration on how everything worked.

However the first problem we had was a shorted wire in the under belly that would have required the belly to be dropped to be seen.

When we got it home we removed panels, invertors tie wrapped wiring and should have dropped the underbelly.

After 6 years in a Montana and the experience on this forum we are a lot more educated and this PDI will be a killer. We would have no problem in having them hook it up and send it back to the factory.

We have purchased the top of the line highest $$ montana made and we expect the quality to reflect that.No execptions.
I think you could have a nice little side business doing third-party PDIs! Seriously, I would pay someone to go with me on my PDI just like a pre-purchase home inspection. It would definitely be worth the inspection fee. If you can be in Washington in a couple months, I'll let you try it and see how you like it

Is a lot of what you found on that last one cosmetic, or more functional problems?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Thanks for all the great input, especially the list from the forum-I completely overlooked that. We just left out niece & nephews. They picked up a new TT yesterday and spent less than 30 minutes on it. Today they have multiple items to take it back for.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most of the PDI problems were cosmetic and a result of shoddy workmanship. Example the tank guage indicator pulled right out of the wall of the 4 screws holding it to the wall only one held it in the other 3 went nowhere.That is shoddy workmanship. We will not tolerate that kind of c**p on a top of the line top $$ unit.

We have accompanied other rv'rs on the purchase or delivery of a Rv any brand and all Rv'er with experience should do the same if possible. Last time was just this fall on the purchase of a used TT by a friend.

I am a supporter of Keystone .They have treated us well over the 6 years we have had this 06 3400. We have toured the plant every year for the last 6 years
we see how these things are built and who builds them.There is no excuse for shoddy workmanship and we need to hold keystone accountable for that.

Adhere to the same standards you do when you accept delivery of a new Car/truck no excuses and let Keystone know about the problems.
This is not a negative or bashing post.. just reality.