Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have a 2006 3400. We traval a lot. We never travel with liquid in our tanks. We have had two holding tanks split and leak and we now have two more leaking tanks. two black tanks, One grey tank and one galley tank. That is reality. Leaking tanks particularly the black tank is not a pleasant or cheap thing to deal with.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:52 AM   #22
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I understand, but it just don't seem right to pay that much for an RV and then not be able to use it as an RV. Like I said before the RV I have now has a 100 gal fresh water tank and I am not afraid to travel with it almost full as well as the waste tanks. Most of the people I know with Alpenlites do the same. Reading on line lots of folks travel with full tanks on other 5'ers with no problems. One would think with the quality of a Montana that Forest River would come up with a fix and have done a recall or something. I just hope mine can handle the pressure because the way I travel the tanks will be used in route, that's what they are for. Guess it's a good thing I also got a 4 year ext warranty lol lol...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You say Montana and Forest river as if Forest River is the manufacturer of the Montana..Not so..Montana is Keystone. The fact is holding tanks leak on Montana's .Don't know about other brands but I will bet they do.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #24
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Sorry got my manufactors mixed up lol lol I've looked at one too many RV's in the past several months on our search. And I beg to differ, RV's do not split their tanks. This is the first I had heard of such a thing. They should be made to run with their tanks full that is the whole idea of having tanks on board. Why drive empty to a camp ground to fill your tanks and then dump them before you leave? All these RV's have their little quirks but this one is kinda serious for me. We travel a lot and most times are headed cross country and need to have water on board since we overnite sometimes 2-3 nights in a row at Walmarts etc on our way to our destination. Like I said just hope it's more of an isolated case then the norm. But I feel like the OP and hope things are better then they appear on this forum.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
robert285rld
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11885
Have a read of the material on this blog. It changed my view re what really happens with RV tires. Owners have a great responsibility to ensure their tires are ready to handle the task we ask of them. As fasteagle states "he can't provide an authority for his views" but they make sense to this 30 year RVer. Most of blow outs are on Montana's larger units - possibly over loaded??

http://fasteagletiretalk.blogspot.com/
robert285rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I learned a long time ago that if I let every problem posted on this forum worry me I would have long ago left my monty in the junk yard.
There are thousands of Montana's being used today, one of the best selling 5vrs out there yet you only have a very small percentage of those with problems posting on here. Now I am not taking away from any concerns of those who have had problems because an issue is an issue and has to be dealt with. I have an 06 3400rl bought new and used as a recreational vehicle the first 4 years and have not had the same problems as a lot posted here on this forum. Yes I have had some minor issues mostly caused by my own failure to do something or just do something plain stupid like dry fire the hot water heater. I have camped at a lot of local state parks where I only had 30 amp and had to haul my own water. My tanks have yet to leak. When making long trips like down to Florida I usually only carry about 5 gal of water of toilet use but I don't do the Walmart thing because I don't have a Gen and I like having electrial so we use PA and find a cheap stop over CG. So what I am trying to say is - let your own issues guide your thinking about wheither you made a good buy or not. When people take something and use it for something it was not designed for will more than likely have to deal with things others may not.
JMO -
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #27
JnSWells
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12081
We are still anticipating arrival of new montana, no word lately from dealer, although he promised to let us know progress on the 17th.. We are getting the queen mattress on the moving to montana upgrade hopefully it is ok, if not have 3 in memory foam to add... I enjoy this forum and all the info, members seem very friendly.. Weather has been extremely bad lately so hopefully by the time rv is ready for pick up will be better... If anyone is interested this is the site to view our Cedar Creek we are trading, I'm going to miss it, gave us 6 good years..https://picasaweb.google.com/suzanne...77378173092386
JnSWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #28
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Jim & Suzanne, Looks like you folks took good care of the old girl. She looks good!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robert285rld

Have a read of the material on this blog. It changed my view re what really happens with RV tires. Owners have a great responsibility to ensure their tires are ready to handle the task we ask of them. As fasteagle states "he can't provide an authority for his views" but they make sense to this 30 year RVer. Most of blow outs are on Montana's larger units - possibly over loaded??

http://fasteagletiretalk.blogspot.com/
After I got bored of reading his dissertation on how its our own fault and not the manufactures fault of using the bare minimum on our rigs, I counter his multipage bable with this page.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...explained.html

Maybee if mediocrity wasnt the new norm in this day and age we could actually buy something good the first time around.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #30
gobears
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9216
Welcome to the MOC, great information here. Cedar Creek are nice units, Forest River has a pretty good product. We started with a Salem TT. We then moved up to a Cardinal 5'r. both FR products. Then one day at a show, the dealer made me an offer I couldnt refuse, and traded the Cardinal in for the Montana. Just counting the payments now until its feesable to trade the Montana back for a Cardinal or Cedar Creek. Mine is nothing but a money pit, repair after repair...tires and mattress are cheap off the lot with most brands, kind of a given replacement. Its the decals, pumps, inverter, hardware, door handles, circuit breakers, tank leaks, valve leaks, antenna, etc, etc. I think I had a bulb burn out in the Cardinal once.....
gobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:01 AM   #31
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
When we picked up our 2011 3400rl we had the dealer change our our matress with the one out of the old trailer. They did this with no problem. As for the tires the manufacuturer will da what they can to cut costs. We will be replacing the "china bombs" in March before we hit the road.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote