Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We're up and running!

We are connected with our new EVDO aircard and KR1 router....wireless in our house in the woods of middle Alabama. Goodbye dialup! It is so great to know that we can get a connection here at the house and still use our phone. And it should work equally as well on the road. Yeah!!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Congrats Judy!
I am amazed at how much withdrawls I go through after a few days of not having internet service. Sounds like you are set up and ready to go for your summer travels. Enjoy!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Judy how well does it work with 2 computers?
As it is now only I am able to get online with my puter. If the router works as well as advertised we definitely want one.

is this the unit you are refering to.... EVDO Products
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glenn, it seems to work great. We configured the router via our dialup connection and I was connected as soon as the router was configured. Glen's computer is older and we use a D-Link card for that one. He gets connected but the computer has some problems of it's own so that's been frustrating. The aircard goes into the router which is the size of about four decks of cards but thicker. Basically, it's small. It came with a cord that goes into the cigarette lighter and a regular cord. We also got a booster antenna that connects to the router. They're sitting over near the kitchen window and I'm in the living room. We only have a couple of bars on our Verizon phone here in the woods and our connection is 54Mbps. Not real fast but it will improve in areas with better connection. Looks like a winner to me!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
24 hours later and we are very pleased with our wireless system. Found out that we get a lot of phone calls during the day if we're not on dialup.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have been home now for the past 5 months and I cannot believe how many times a day the phone rings. Out of 22 calls today only 2 were actual people I want to talk with, the rest are just sales.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Judy,

Your new setup is very interesting to me. I had considered purchasing a Direcway/Hughesnet tripod system but may go your route instead. BTW, I think the 54 mbits may be the speed of your local network. Even a highspeed cable modem connection only does 4 - 6 mbits. I would think the EVDO is probably only doing 1 mbits or so.

Montana sky,

You may want to consider adding your phone to the National Do Not Call list. This has certainly reduced the number of sales calls to our phones both wired and cellular.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:41 PM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Lamar, the speed does vary according to your location. In large cities with broadband we should get a lot faster connection but even our present connection isn't too bad. It certainly is a simple system to move around and setup. Tomorrow we're going to our son's house overnite and he doesn't have an internet connection anymore since he is moving. I'll take our router, antenna, and laptop and check out the speed in Birmingham, Alabama. It's very simple to move and reconnect. I could even use it in the car, but since I'm driving, that wouldn't be adviseable.

We purchased our setup from Booster-Antenna and have been very pleased with their support. Our equipment was supposed to be mailed all at one time but the router delivery was delayed about 18 days. This meant we had an activated aircard during that time that we couldn't use. When I pointed out that our charges shouldn't start until the day the router arrived, they (Verizon) gave me a month's credit on our bill, estimated to be around $75.00. We'll only pay $60.00 per month because we have our cell phone account with Verizon also. But I thought it was a very fair thing to do.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
xea
Established Member

M.O.C. #5306
We just installed the same set up! LOVE IT!

we could only get dial up to but now we are in highspeed area (just on the finge) and can get 400k down not as fast as they can go but blows dial up away and we can have both computers on it too

I had a few issues and booster-antenna was great with helping me out.
xea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 11:32 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Congratulations, xea! I think it's a great choice. It certainly conquers the storage problem. I just put the router with the aircard and the antenna in my computer case and carried it to Birmingham when our son was moving. While we were waiting for the movers, I surfed. It's so portable. We haven't experienced the highspeed yet but it's faster than dialup. Glen just ordered a new computer so it will be fun to see how it works with the system.