Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Best storage bins to get?

We want to get some clear stackable storage bins to organize stuff in the storage compartment under the bedroom in our fifth wheel. There are a number of brands -- Ziploc, Sterilite, Hefty, etc. Also, some have detachable lids that snap on and some have those attached bi-fold lids that fold over the top and interlock. Just wondering what ya'll have found to work and hold up the best.

Thanks.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I don't store the bins under the bed but have used the sterilite bins for years storing the dw's Christmas ornaments. I like the bi-fold lids when I have containers in the back of the truck as they seem to secure better but under the bed of your rv it won't really matter. Which ever is cheaper might be the best for what you are wanting them for.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
I don't store the bins under the bed but have used the sterilite bins for years storing the dw's Christmas ornaments. I like the bi-fold lids when I have containers in the back of the truck as they seem to secure better but under the bed of your rv it won't really matter. Which ever is cheaper might be the best for what you are wanting them for.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. They aren't going under the bed platform, but in the big storage "basement" area of the 5er underneath the bedroom (not the bed).

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 02-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
Chasw98

M.O.C. #23304
I have found the Hefty bins work best for me. Most bins are not very tall and you waste space at the top of the storage area. I also like the "click and lock" method of attaching the lid. I have 3 of them in my garage underneath the bedroom and they have held up well.
Chasw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You were very clear, I just saw the word bed instead of bedroom. In the storage compartment you will be handling the containers more than under the bed. I don't know that you would need the bi-fold lids as you won't have to worry about the lids blowing off. I've bought several containers from Wal-Mart that just snap down and they would work for the basement for many years. This is probably more of a preference than anything.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Whichever ones you can get the best price on.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
They are not clear but Lowes has some great black and yellow bins on sale right now. They are perfect size for pass thru storage, the lids are attached and importantly they nest one on top of the other.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
We bought 6 Sterilite translucent storage bins because they were the tallest that would fit into our basement. Two of them have cracked on the bottom after two years of use. Gorilla taped and continue to use. Next time will get some that are more durable.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have used Sterlite for 8 years of full timing in several places in the rig. In the basement, however we use four trunk size storeage containers with rollers on one end we got from Walmart. The four fit in the middle of the basemen with plenty of room for our other items on the sides. The containers also have a raised place on the lid and a recessed place on the bottom so when they are stacked they stay in place. They aren't clear, but we have three colors so we know what's in what.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
We bought bigger bins thinking that would be good , wrong! We were digging around looking for stuff all the time.
Pretty much have changed over to 10 gal size and double stack.
We also figured out we took way to much out our first year.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post
We bought bigger bins thinking that would be good , wrong! We were digging around looking for stuff all the time.
Pretty much have changed over to 10 gal size and double stack.
We also figured out we took way to much out our first year.
Good point. Kinda like when we had a chest freezer -- all that room was mostly wasted because we couldn't get to/find anything!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 02-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We have used Sterlite for 8 years of full timing in several places in the rig. In the basement, however we use four trunk size storeage containers with rollers on one end we got from Walmart. The four fit in the middle of the basemen with plenty of room for our other items on the sides. The containers also have a raised place on the lid and a recessed place on the bottom so when they are stacked they stay in place. They aren't clear, but we have three colors so we know what's in what.
I agree with Dick on this one. The "nesting" feature of some of the heavier duty storage containers is very important. They really don't need to be clear as you can simply put a label on them or get different colors (granted the ones from Lowes only come in black with yellow lids). You should check those out though they are only $12.00 on sale and they are a LOT heavier/thicker than the WalMart Sterlite boxes. They are almost an exact fit on our front pass thru storage area.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #13
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
Costco has clear ones. 3 pack for $16 bucks. Yes they are the bigger ones. Best price for the quality I have found. They also stack.
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Walmart has an entire row in their local stores of Sterlite and Rubbermaid bins of all shapes and sizes. I like the wee bit heavier duty Rubbermaid -- except their much higher pricing for not much better bin then the Sterlites which we have been using since 2009 with nary a busted one, Home Depot has had the Sterlite bins on sale lately too.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
basement storage

I started with stackable tubs but I always needed the one on the bottom. I bought the Walmart sliding 3 drawer plastic units that are about 14 x 24 (guessing - you better measure) and have one just inside the basement doors on curb and street sides with the back toward the front wall. Did not have to fasten down and they haven't moved. I use 1 drawer for electrical, 1 for plumbing, 1 for cleaning supplies,etc. Clear so you can kind of see thru but easy to label. Uses the vertical space to within 4-5 inches of the top of the compartment. Easier for me to open a drawer rather than move the tubs. I still store lesser used items in tubs in the center of the basement like jacks, stands, charcoal.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #16
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
I started with stackable tubs but I always needed the one on the bottom. I bought the Walmart sliding 3 drawer plastic units that are about 14 x 24 (guessing - you better measure) and have one just inside the basement doors on curb and street sides with the back toward the front wall. Did not have to fasten down and they haven't moved. I use 1 drawer for electrical, 1 for plumbing, 1 for cleaning supplies,etc. Clear so you can kind of see thru but easy to label. Uses the vertical space to within 4-5 inches of the top of the compartment. Easier for me to open a drawer rather than move the tubs. I still store lesser used items in tubs in the center of the basement like jacks, stands, charcoal.
good idea!

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 02-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #17
rickw328

M.O.C. #21266
I don't have a brand suggestion but we did take these wire shelves from the home improvement store cut them in half and placed them in the basement so we can get to each of the totes without having to pull them from under others out. We did three layers so we can place the truck bed topper under all the totes without moving them and a layer on top so we can slide our beach chair etc on top of everything. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Storage-...vZc89kZ1z183qx
rickw328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
banks732

M.O.C. #19162
We use 18 gal clear bins with locking lids. They work great for storing heavier clothing, extra bedding or whatever you need to keep inside. Our bed keeps 6 bins comfortably underneath with room between the top and the bed platform.
banks732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I use Sterilite bins with detachable lids. If they are all the same size, you can stack them and slide the upper ones on the slower ones. On the lower level in the center I have one for safety flares, a bottle jack, a jacking saddle and an assortment seldom used items. On the lower level on the utility side I have one for electrical cords. On the lower level I have one for the small gas grill (note-this one is used without a lid). On the upper level, I have one for water hoses and my water filter. For travel, this one is slid on top of the center one to help balance weight side-to-side. When it is time to set up, I get my power cord out and put the lid back on that bin. Then I slide the upper level bin toward the utility side to get the water stuff. I use smaller bins for the water pressure regulator, a Y-connector, replacement hose washers, spare quick disconnect fittings for water lines, etc.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #20
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
About 4 years ago, I bought some from Home Depot. The bin is clear so you can see what's in it and the top is solid gray. They're about 14" wide X 18" long and they come 8" deep or 16" deep. These are about numbers. Don't quote me.
The covers lock with a large tab on each end. I really like them. They are also stackable.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote