Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
Need Advice/Dealing With Keystone

I know the topic of axle/tire wear has been covered extensively here but it seems as though most people have had a pleasant experience in their dealings with Keystone. I can't say the same has been true for me.

I too am experiencing extreme inner tread wear on both tires on the back axle but was still feeling good about having bought a Montana from a company that seems to really support their customers.

Until just now that is.

My dealer called earlier today and said that Keystone turned down their request for an axle alignment. (I should add the my 2850RK was purchased new in Feb. 2004 so is well within warranty). My dealer, who has always done an excellent job supporting me on other issues, suggested I call Keystone which I did. Was told by the customer service rep. that alignments weren't a warranty item and that I should call AL-KO Kober. Incidently my dealer was told by their Keystone contact (Team Montana?) that I probably hit something to cause the problem. Talked to AL-KO Kober rep. and was told that usually this type of problem is caused by a trailer being overweight. I monitor this pretty closely so have trouble accepting that. Also he was surprised that Keystone referred me to him as the unit was less than a year old. But if my dealer would remove the axle and UPS it to them in Indiana for their inspection they would gladly replace it if it were found defective. He did say they had a few problems with some units from Indiana but that my Montana was manufactured in Oregon (which was news to me - I thought Cougars and maybe Sprinters were made in Oregon). Anyway as I live in Washington State shipping the axle to Indiana would be rather costly, especially if they said there was nothing wrong.

So I have instructed my dealer to get the axles inspected and aligned (at my expense) and to document everything they do and why. Hoping if they find anything wrong I can get reimbursed for the costs as most of you have been.

Is this the proper way to go about it? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Hank

Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I would send a registered letter to Jeff Rank at Keystone. You might search the previous topics and try to tabulate how many other people have had axle problems and not been overweight. Also send copies of your weight sheets from calibrated scales to them to prove you are not overweight.

I think the axles are just not strong enough for the weight they carry. For example, when your bouncing up and down on the road surface while traveling, you could exceed the limits of the axle. The axles should allow for weight and additional forces.

Good Luck.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote