Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Dish or Direct?

Looking for feedback on either. We currently have Direct at the house, and a tripod mounted dish when camping. We are seeing a lot of the Dish Traveler dishes and are considering changing providers. Dish seems easier to deal with. Presently in Colorado, and no national networks since we are out of our billing zip code.

Thoughts? Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 AM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I think they both are a pain in the butt. I have Direct only because I have them at the stick house. Don't like the idea of paying for two services. We have a LA feed box and a Phoneix feed box. The LA box gives me more channels when on the road. The LA box is great when I have my tax office open in CA and the Phoneix is great when in AZ. One would think both services would be a bit more acomedating to the RV people as there are a lot of us.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have had Dish at home for many years and in the Monte for 3 yrs. I have never had any problem with them and am very happy.

We just returned from Colorado where there was no cable and no OTA programming. Called Dish and ask them to change my service address to South Fork, CO so that I could get Denver locals. Within a few minutes I had Denver locals. Called again when we returned home and in a few minutes I had the DFW locals again.

Used a tripod dish the first year. Sometimes got signal quickly, sometimes took a long time. Bought a Tailgater and am mostly happy with it. I say mostly because occasionally it takes several resets for it to finally find the sats.

Have never had Directv so can't comment on them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We use direct, again because we have had home and have always had good service. We have been able to get the local (national channels) easily once set up. We just call Directv and they activate for us. Rate does not change, but billing may go up or down since based on the taxes charged at the downlink location. We only do that when we are going to be in one place for a month or so. Otherwise we use the air antenna. Direct is certainly easy to set up. I am told, but have no personal experience, that Dish is a bit harder to bring in because of the satellite footprint.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I am a Fulltimer and We use the Dish Taigater pay as you go plan for 50 bucks a month 120 channels works great after you replace the cheap 50 ft coax they give you and buy a thick high quality 25ft RG6 ,also the customer service has been good to deal with when you go out of state and have to change your receiver address to get the local channels, it takes about 15-20 min to set up and then you are good to go, just got back from a 2K trip and only once could I not get a signal as we were at a campground between mountains and a lot of trees
Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Switched from Direct to Dish primary so we could get HD with the Traveler type units. I liked Direct better but Dish works fine.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Before going fulltime we had Direct at house. Talking to others it seemed like they were all about the same. We went with Travler on top of Montana (Direct) because we didn't want to mess with setting something up when moving around. It works good and we get all kinds of HD channels. When traveling we don't call for the switch to local channels because 90% of the time we can get the locals on our antenna. We only switch our service address when in Florida for the winter. Just like waynemoore said, they are all a pain.....not very good customer service sometimes.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Simpson9508
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13509
We had Direct until a year ago when we wanted to have satellite in the trailer. We wanted a portable unit. Direct did not have an option to receive HD programming on a portable unit. We switched to Dish in the Ouse and bought a tailgaiter for the trailer. I also purchased a receiver exclusively for the trailer. Since we own the receiver we can have it turned on and off by Dish. We turn off the service during the winter months when we are not using the trailer.
Simpson9508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have RV account with DirecTV which gets me my locals (when I am within range of the spot beam) and the national network feeds from NY and LA (you only can get one of them today but I am grandfathered in). I am basically locked into DirecTV because of the two national network feeds. I record everything before I watch it (except major sporting events). With the national feeds, I can set the DVR to one set of channels regardless of where I am. If you use the local channels (after calling the provider to turn them on where you are), the channel numbers change and you have to re-program the DVR. More work than what I wanted.

I am also a HD bigot. Having DirecTV complicates that obsession. None of the portable antennas support HD reception of DirecTV. But portables receive HD for Dish. I have found setting up a portable antenna in order to receive DirecTV HD signals is relatively easy. The roof mount Travler is even easier. If you are doing it today when you take a DirecTV receiver from home, then setting up a HD antenna is no more difficult. If you don't care about HD, then the portables work well for DirecTV.

Dish is much easier to deal with when trying to change the local channels as you move around the country. I don't bother changing with DirecTV as I have the two feeds for my recordings and I just use the batwing to get the OTA locals. However one of the guys who travels with us calls DirecTV whenever he moves and tells them he is at his summer/winter/spring/fall cabin, gives them a zip code and moments later has locals. Dish allows you to have a receiver in the RV as part of your home plan. DirecTV wants you to have a separate account for the RV (i.e. twice the cost) although some have been successful getting a RV receiver on their home DirecTV account.

If I had it to do all over, knowing what I know now, I think I would lean towards Dish. They can receive HD on the portable antennas, have a month to month pay-as-you-go program, and are more RV friendly by easily changing the locals. They don't have a good solution for recording every show before watching it and only DirecTV has the NFL package if you are a football enthusiast. I don't know much more about the differences in programming between the two. They both have more channels than I care to watch.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We just ditched DirecTV. Their programming choices continued to drop while the price went up. Perhaps it was my inexperience with setting up the dish but it seemed that we needed an absolutely perfect clear view and sky to receive the signal. We changed over to dish with a tailgater. It was slightly cheaper but with a significant increase in programming choices. We are currently in a campground where it is virtually impossible to get a clear view of the southern sky. We were able to get good reception on several but not all Dish channels. With DirecTV you had to get all or nothing.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Hi Jim I have Dish but my friend has direct. His LMB is only 1 LMB for all his TV channels and hdtv, where my dish has three for standard TV and hdtv it can be a pain sometimes with alignment of sat # 110,119,and 129 (HD broadcast)and for him none he puts his auto sat finder on the ground and he's done that's the one I like even though I have dish.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

I have RV account with DirecTV which gets me my locals (when I am within range of the spot beam) and the national network feeds from NY and LA (you only can get one of them today but I am grandfathered in). I am basically locked into DirecTV because of the two national network feeds. I record everything before I watch it (except major sporting events). With the national feeds, I can set the DVR to one set of channels regardless of where I am. If you use the local channels (after calling the provider to turn them on where you are), the channel numbers change and you have to re-program the DVR. More work than what I wanted.

I am also a HD bigot. Having DirecTV complicates that obsession. None of the portable antennas support HD reception of DirecTV. But portables receive HD for Dish. I have found setting up a portable antenna in order to receive DirecTV HD signals is relatively easy. The roof mount Travler is even easier. If you are doing it today when you take a DirecTV receiver from home, then setting up a HD antenna is no more difficult. If you don't care about HD, then the portables work well for DirecTV.

Dish is much easier to deal with when trying to change the local channels as you move around the country. I don't bother changing with DirecTV as I have the two feeds for my recordings and I just use the batwing to get the OTA locals. However one of the guys who travels with us calls DirecTV whenever he moves and tells them he is at his summer/winter/spring/fall cabin, gives them a zip code and moments later has locals. Dish allows you to have a receiver in the RV as part of your home plan. DirecTV wants you to have a separate account for the RV (i.e. twice the cost) although some have been successful getting a RV receiver on their home DirecTV account.

If I had it to do all over, knowing what I know now, I think I would lean towards Dish. They can receive HD on the portable antennas, have a month to month pay-as-you-go program, and are more RV friendly by easily changing the locals. They don't have a good solution for recording every show before watching it and only DirecTV has the NFL package if you are a football enthusiast. I don't know much more about the differences in programming between the two. They both have more channels than I care to watch.

I have had directv since 2002 in my fifth wheels, and never been asked to have separate accounts for the fifth wheel and the house. Two years ago, they came to our fifth wheel in Florida to install a DVD receiver and have been to the house as well. Not saying one is better than the other, but I am saying a requirement for separate accounts is not accurate.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We have been with DirecTV since they started in 1994. They have always took care of us. We have the Traveler on the RV roof and receive four inputs: two to the LR DVR, one feed to the BR, and one feed to the outside compartment TV. All are DVRs and all are HD. We take the DVRs from the S&B and put them in the RV when we travel. No problems. Have NFL Sunday Ticket and all NHL games, as well. No one compares to DirecTV.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have had Direct TV since 1994 and they have always been good to us. When we travel if we feel we need to have the local channels we just call them and have them change our service to our current location. We have the Wingart Travel'er dish mounted on the roof of our rig but I also carry a dish & tri-pod for the occasion's when a tree blocks the roof dish. Friends have the Dish network and they sometimes have a lot of problems trying to aim their dish but the Direct TV system, IMHO, is a lot easier to aim when I need to use our portable dish. It seems to shoot through a few tree branches a lot easier.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #15
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have heard others talk about a "RV package" of some type for Direct TV. They have never brought it up to us. We used to have it at our house and on our dock in Michigan (for use on our boat). Direct RV considered the marina dock our second, or summer home and always switched our locals up there when we requested it. When we sold the house and boat we told them our only service would be in our fifth wheel....they never mentioned any type of different package. Like CaptJoe I really can't be without the NFL Sunday ticket. Everyone's needs are different though.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don't know anything about Direct TV but I have had a Wineguard Carryout and a Dish Tailgater. The Carryout seams like it takes about 10000 little steps to set it up. You can go to their web site and down load the instructions. The Tailgater you plug it in choose the state hit scan and in about 7 minutes the TV comes on. It couldn't be any simpler. I gave my Carryout away. Best move I ever made.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

...The Carryout seams like it takes about 10000 little steps to set it up. You can go to their web site and down load the instructions. The Tailgater you plug it in choose the state hit scan and in about 7 minutes the TV comes on....
I have setup four friend's with Carryouts on DirecTV and they are the easiest thing I have ever seen. Put it on the ground, connect a 12V power cord (only until it locates the satellites), connect the coax to the receiver, and away you go. I haven't done a Tailgater, but I believe it is basically the same (other than it is a Dish only device? That means at least two satellites to find).

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

...We just ditched DirecTV....it seemed that we needed an absolutely perfect clear view and sky to receive the signal. We changed over to dish with a tailgater... We were able to get good reception on several but not all Dish channels. With DirecTV you had to get all or nothing.
This I do not understand. DirecTV satellites are at 101 for SD and if you need HD, they are at 99 and 103. That is a 4 degree swing. Dish satellites are at 110, 119, and 129. That is a 19 degree swing. In a heavily treed area, finding an open spot to DirecTV's 101 for SD is much easier than finding Dish's two or three satellites. If HD is required, usually 99 and 103 are so close in the sky to 101 that if you have it, you have the others. Not so for Dish. Either receiver will work even if they can't locate a satellite. You just don't receive the stations broadcast on the missing satellite(s).

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

...I have had directv since 2002 in my fifth wheels, and never been asked to have separate accounts for the fifth wheel and the house...
In the past it was easy to add a RV with a receiver to your account. Not today. If you want Distant Network Service (DNS) programming (i.e. the LA or NY networks stations) on your receiver, it has to be on a RV account. Yes, you can take a receiver from the house with you and try to get the locals changed if you move out of the spot beam. But when they change the locals it affects *ALL* of your receivers including the ones you left behind. If one of them is your HD DVR recording all your favorite shows until you return, you will be very disappointed. The current "local" channel numbers likely don't match what you have programmed and even if they do, the home receivers are out of the spot beam for where you were.

Lastly, price and programming are always hot topics. Each service raises prices periodically. Each service offers sharply discounted rates to "New" subscribers for 12 months on a new 24 month contract. Each service offers basically the same set of programming with a few exceptions (NFL Sunday Ticket for one). Each service has a reputation for poor customer service.

Much like the RV industry, it is all the same basic pieces parts and crappy installation.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Times 2 on Carl's statement.
Dish told me that if I use the location or zip where I'm camping to get local TV channels and networks it also changes my receivers at home too, that because they are on one account number , but if you subscribe to another account number for the RV then you will not loose any of your stick house programing for the DVR. but I use the bat wing for local channels and leave my Dish Net alone. I just have to call them up to do a reprogram because my receiver has been turned off for a few months , the zap it and im in business.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 AM   #19
astrungis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13151
I had to break down and buy a SATV setup because we were staying at a campground too far from OTA channels and no CATV. After investigating both DirecTV and Dish, I went with Dish. They offer a "Pay as You Go" for $48 a month. You can activate and cancel anytime. When I get home, I have a great OTA antenna on the house. However, when I contact Cox about setting up the internet, they sometimes have an enticement to add basic CATV for a few dollars more. If not, I have the OTA - no problem. With the Dish setup, I bought 2 receivers (LR & BR) with a Weinguard Pathway X-1000 portable antenna and 2-50' RG6 cable extensions to get a clear shot of the SW sky. Altogether the hardware cost $700+.
astrungis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #20
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I won't get into which company I think is best I've had them both and are currently with Dish, but I will say the Winegard Carryout was very easy to use for us. Dropped it in the yard or put in on it's ladder rack, if we were staying for a long time, and it was good to go. We replaced it with the Traveler in order to be able to watch more satellites at the same time and to free up storage space in the basement.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote