Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Reservations ?????????

Well we started our trip to Ind. today had planned on stopping in Clarksville, Tennessee to stay one night and visit the kids and grandkids. This is our first trip we didn't make a reservations for the Clarksvill RV park. Well we were very disappointed, the RV park was full. So we pushed on to exit 117 KOA RV park just South of Louisville. Lesson learned never ever leave without a reservation. GBY..

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I am sorry but I never make a reservation unless its in the fall in the smokies or someplace neat but not on the road;;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Usually this isn't a problem if it's not a weekend (especially a holiday weekend like Memorial Day), but because of the rig size, some places run out of spots we can fit into. We've also run into situations where the park was hosting a special event and was full.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I think the key is you had specific plans, a place you wanted to visit and be close to. When that is the case you should make reservations. If you are heading that way and go where the road takes you it is not as much a requirement.

I feel the one big exception is the major holidays. I am not sure how no reservations work during that time.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If I know specifically where I'm going, I'll make a reservation. A lot of times we will start trying to find a place to make a reservation when we are about two hours from a stopping point. Most of the time I know that I will drive "x" number of miles the next day and I will find a place the night before. It has kept me from stopping only to find out the cg was full.

I have travelled over Holiday weekends and I now will make sure I have a reservation before proceeding. We will even make sure we are "camped" for the weekend should it be a holiday. Having called around before trying to get a place over a holiday, only to be told they were full - well, I make reservations when I find one.

Depending on the area, and especially in seasonal areas, I will make reservations for Friday and Saturday night on non-holiday weekends. I figure that all the moms and dads will be pulling up and travelling home on Sunday to get the kids ready for school the next day. It's easier to find a place Sunday through Thursday.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What Wayne said.

I know that most of the time we don't need a reservation, but, my comfort level does not allow me to just drive into ANY campground looking for a site. We always call a few hours out to verify they are still in business (yep, drove into one before we started the calling stuff only to discover they were OUTTA business). We also verify they have a site or two, with the services we desire.

Gotta work within that comfort level!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If there is somewhere I know I want to stay on a given day and in a popular area, I will make reservations days in advance. Otherwise I usually call ahead a few hours before I expect to arrive to ensure that I will have a site when I pull in. Don't want to have to pull off, pull in, and pull back out again because they had no vacancies.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I ALWAYS make reservations ahead of time. I am not fearless enough to take a chance on not finding a place. When I pull into somewhere I want to make sure I don't have to pull out until the next day. Perhaps someday we will go without and take our chances but not for now. I know we lose spontaneity, but peace of mind is better for us.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I might not make a reservation, but do always call ahead to check for availability. I want to be sure there is not a big rally or something that would cause the CG to be full.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
One other thing about calling ahead is you can ask specific questions that may not be covered on the web site or in their brochures. Since a 3400Rl is almost 40 feet, can they accommodate a 40 foot rig? What about pets? Are their breed restrictions? Just to name a few. If you don't have concerns about these things then it doesn't matter, as long as they are "open."
'
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Very seldom do we make reservations unless it is a popular spot or a holiday weekend. We usually pull in by 3pm and have noticed that the overnighters start to pull in sometime after that. If we are running late we will sometimes call ahead. Other than that we have never had to move on. On a long trip I will have everything planned out as to where we will be staying and for how long, even though it doesn't always work out that way. To me, part of the fun is planning a trip. And this has worked out very well for us.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote