Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
slide floor

hi all, the floor on my sofa/dinette slide is getting bad on each end and needs to be replaced. its the flush floor so all it has is the 3/4 plywood for the floor. i've looked and called just about everybody i can think of and cant even get any advice. i even called a keystone dealer, and as usual, he didnt have a clue what i was talking about. i know someone has replaced their floor before so where in world do you get 12 foot plywood? i've got an 03 everest, but it's the same company. any help will be appreciated, dave.

aaadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I've never replaced the floor in a fifth wheel but I had to in a M/H. You won't find 12 ft. plywood but you can use a sheet and a half. 8 ft. plus 4 ft. There will be joists under the floor and cut the 3/4 plywood to fit the joists and then use the 1/2 sheet. It's not as hard as it sounds just time consuming. A circular saw, carpenters square, ruler, pry bars are the basics. I used wood glue (the good stuff) to glue the plywood to the joists so I wouldn't have squeaks in the plywood.
After replacing the wood and tile no one ever knew the floor had been replaced.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I am assuming you are talking about the slideout floor of which, most of them had a carpet over the plywood. We just replaced the carpet with laminate flooring. But the slideout did have carpet. If you need a 12' sheet I sure would check a lumberyard. They may have to special order it
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
4x12/3/4 superply is $165.75 at local lumberyard in Oregon
Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
thanks blarkman, if ore. has it it should be found elsewere. the floor now has two pieces glued together with some sort of joint to make one piece. if it was not a flush floor it would have floor joist under it and it would be an easy fix, but the flush floor has nothing but the 3/4 plywood, nothing under it but air. thats the reason for the solid piece. if you can, will you post the phone# of the lumber yard in ore? thanks, dave.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Some of the newer units had weak spots in the floor of the large slide and the fix was to lay 1/4 inch plywood over the 3/4. Being it is put on top you could most likely go with 1/2 inch and not have a problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
thanks dennis, i've already glued some 1/4 inch hardy concrete board on top a couple of years ago and it held up well. but the floor was so bad that it's starting to get soft again. there was a post a year or so ago where someone changed out their slide floor without taking the slide out, but i've searched every thing i oould think of and still cant find it. thanks, dave.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #8
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The number is 541-258-7107 and is called Economy Lumber and is part of Ace hardware chain. The person said they just called their plywood supplier and gave they him a price. There must be some plywood mills in your part of the country that layup those sizes. Could you not install a floor joist there? A regular sheet is $41 and change according to him(4x8x3/4)
Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
aaadave
Established Member

M.O.C. #5261
thanks for the #. no, cant put anything under the slide. it would hit the nylon runner as the slide comes in. if you ever notice your main slide when its in, your slide floor is about an inch off the main floor.it rides on the nylon runner as it goes out, and right as it comes out all the way it drops down and the edge of the slide rest on the nylon. thats why there cant be anything under it. thanks again, dave.