Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #21
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The new Sierra 3500's long box has a continuous metal side panel that's flared over the duallies.

KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #22
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

SRW form me. IMHO there is no more stability in a dually over an SWR and for no more reason than all the Cons already posted my next truck will again be an SWR.

On a GM there is no more towing capacity on a dually than on a SWR. They both have the same engine, tranny and everything else. Pin weight on a 3500 dually and a 3500 SWR is insignificant.
Thinking, by having a dually, that you have less concern about a flat rear tire is bogus, IF you don't realize that inside dual is flat is the problem. But you will absolutely know it just a few miles down the road. That inside or outside flat will get to rubbing against the inflated tire. It will build heat and eventually disintegrate. JUst where do you think all those road gaters come from? And if that dually disintegrates you will also be contributing parts of that fiberglass fender to the road liter.
Not carrying a spare and taking one of the duallys off to replace a front flat tire is dangerous as all the tongue weight now rides on one tire. And it would take a lot less time mounting the spare than messing with dismounting the outside tire.
The Gators you see are from big trucks because of the fact most big company's use retreads on their trailers.
If you replaced a front flat with a rear dually you would just place a board under the inside wheel and than remove the outside wheel,take it to the front and replace the flat. This would be a lot easier than pulling a heavy spare out from under the truck. That spare is extremely heavy,less weight you have to haul.
True,you would have weight only on one wheel on one side (just like the SRW ) and take it a little slower until you can replace the front tire and move the other one back to the rear.
I've done this a couple of times,having 4 duallies!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #23
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
A ford F-350 dually has more towing capacity than an F-350 SRW and that's where most of my justification is coming from. The RAWR is significant. While I've always thought it strange that a single tire's weight rating is less than when it is used as a dually, having two of these tires does provide more overall weight support than the single tire.

The real point to ponder is what are your LONG-TERM plans? If you are one to upgrade regularly over time, then a dually would be something to consider.

In my case I explained my next truck would be a dually. But here's my reasoning. I have a 3/4 now (not one ton). Due to weight concerns I will be upgrading my suspension to create a 1 ton to alleviate the weight concern because that's cheaper than a new truck. I plan to keep my Monty for a long time but if my truck breaks I would get a dually. If the trailer breaks we think we would go to a smaller trailer, but deep down with grandkids now coming into our lives I think we'll stay the same or even go heavier. Having a dually would support either decisions.

I forgot to mention under pros and cons, that I have also heard of others experiences that if one tire on a dually goes, then it can take out the second one and that would be a bigger problem than only losing one (two tires to replace, stability of the rig during the problem, etc.)

I guess when you ask a simple question in a forum, you're gonna get complicated answers, but that's what's good. More minds can be more knowledgeable than one. Besides, isn't it more fun to shop with someone else's money?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I have to go with the tire experts on this one.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

On a GM there is no more towing capacity on a dually than on a SWR. They both have the same engine, tranny and everything else. Pin weight on a 3500 dually and a 3500 SWR is insignificant.
This might have been correct when you got your truck, but not any more. The DRW has more towing capacity on most models, and nearly 1,500# more cargo capacity. With only 700# more GVWR than the 3/4 ton, the SRW one ton actually only has an increased cargo capacity of around 400# over the 3/4 ton due to the SRW being heavier. Also, the SRW has a GCWR of 22,000 and the DRW has a GCWR of 23,500.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #26
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

My turn... my turn!!!

Packer Fan- I have given my reasons for upgrading to a 1 ton dual rear wheel lwb truck on a couple of other recent topics/posts.

I drove eleven different Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 duallies before deciding on the truck I bought.Several were brand spanking new,three were 6 speed manual trans models.The manuals all had a super tight precise shifting pattern... most impressive.Four were the 6.7 with the new auto trans the rest 5.9 one being a manual.Each truck drove different with the exception of one thing.Unequalled stability...its there and you know it as soon as you drive away.

The best advice I can offer is to go and start driving the different trucks,2 dr/4 dr,4x4,2x4,srw,drw etc.The big three have alot to offer right now especially in this crazy economic situation.I had one dealer come off the msrp over 12k...hard to believe but true.

My 2006 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC has over 4600+ lbs payload/cargo capacity and most of all its what I wanted and will do the job for years even if I go to a much heavier fifth wheel.As for the extra width its no big deal for me...been through some drive throughs and other tight spaces with no problems.Just remember if the front mirrors will clear so will the big rear cheeks!!!

2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Well let me put in my 2 cents...........i have driven 1 ton and 3/4 ton trucks for years in my line of work.not only pull our Montana but for years pulled a 40 ft goose neck trailer and pulling both theres no way someone can say a single wheel is as stable as dual wheels i would never put my wife are anyones Else's life in jeopardy having a truck not being stable...............SO NO WAY A SINGLE WHEEL.................Allen
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #28
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Stability, stability, stability, how can a dually be more stable than a swr with a fifth wheel? We have been in cross winds so strong the steps kept blowing down and when stopped we could hardly open the truck door but stability was not an issue. There are other reasons for having a dually but I don't think stability is one of them
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #29
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Charlie, I agree with you about stability. I have owned both and the only difference is payload and that is mostly because of the dual wheels carrying the load.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #30
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
HA! I thought I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in too, but I think I'm about broke after those other weight threads. One thing is for sure, we don't all like the same thing. I think it is a personal preference issue. Get what you feel comfortable with. Just because someone else thinks it is better, does that mean it is better for everyone?

That being said, if I were buying another TV, I would prefer the dually. To me, a wider stance means more stability. Really, I don't care what everyone else wants, just as long as me and the bride are happy.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
PackerFan- AS you can see your very valid question brings out quite the discussion among the members of the MOC family as it comes up most every year with the results being very similar. I actually thought I might refrain buuut. The two reasons to buy a dually are for the increased payload capacity and the extra stability, plain and simple. Many argue the stability issue but in simple terms with duals one has an extra set of tires set outside of the singles resulting in a wider stance and as a result there is nothing left to argue. Having towed with both I doubt I will ever tow a rig of this size in the future without one. Now for the drawbacks, they have already been pointed out by the many previous posters and are all valid. One thing for sure I would never own a dually without the 4X4 option as those duals will hang up in snow, mud or soft ground and YOU WILL need to use 4 wheel drive a lot more often to get moving in those conditions.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
And probably most of the dually fans also think a louvered tailgate or no tailgate gets better fuel mileage than the OE solid gate..............NOT

and how about those air foils so many put on the TV's cab??

Now there's something new to discuss. And they are off and running.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:58 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I respectfully refuse to reply on the ground that it may incriminate me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #34
deadeyenevermisses
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9268
The wing reduces the bugs...........I can prove it.
deadeyenevermisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #35
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
And probably most of the dually fans also think a louvered tailgate or no tailgate gets better fuel mileage than the OE solid gate..............NOT

Yeah but Dually owners would NOT be over weight.gggg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #36
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
The wings reduce milage....after spending the $$ on wings you have less to spend on fuel, thus reducing you milage.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #37
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
I think that a solid top on the truck bed gives better mileage, so I roll the retractable tonneau to cover the bed as much as possible without restricting the turning of the pin box. Since we have a non-sliding hitch, I have to leave some space. Those with sliding hitches would not have to leave as much space.

Off topic, I think.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Could someone please explain why a dually does not go good in snow? Seems 4 tires pushing would be better than two. I have driven in snowy and icy conditions with my dually and never felt like I had more or less problems. Never driven in the mud with it. If more tires are bad the 18 wheelers should just stop running at the first snowflake but they seem to do fine. I hear this a lot and wonder if it is just hearsay or if some one has actually experienced it.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:12 AM   #39
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We made the choice and will continue to operate with the Dually TV; it gives us that feeling of confidence, great braking power and good relaibility that we are not overloaded. I have ran a SRW on previous trucks and was concerned about being overweight; plus if a blow occurs your vehicle is down immediately. Singles have been tried on different applications with the Big Rigs but they always come back to the duals. Ellis
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the dually because we had no choice. When we chose the 06 3400 and ran all the numbers and it came up 1 ton and dually. We would rather not have it but..need and safety outweighs "want" Have never driven the dually in snow so can't comment. Have driven 1 ton dually school bus in the worst of conditions and had little problem. The bigger school busses are also duallies but weigh like 30K. They stick to the snow petty good but once they unstick you are in for a ride. We also jury rig our tonneau cover as far back toward he hitch as we can get it to reduce turbulance in the bed. That is where most of the drag is and I think it helps some. It keeps things in the bed for sure. I learned something else now today on the forum about if you get a flat on the front just run the inner dual on a board , remove the outer dual and use it as a spare till you can get to a repair shop..... another good day..the learning never stops.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote