Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Floaters and Flashes

The aging of our bodies provides a new problem for us much too often.
I think I know now, why I used to hear my aunts and uncles talk about operations, hearing problems, and aches and pains when we would all assemble for the holidays.
My new medical situation are Floaters and Flashes. The floaters have been around for a long time, the Flashes are new.
I have one Floater that has taken up residence right in front of the focal point of my left eye, lucky me. I look to the right or left for a second, and the little guy drifts off a little until he wises up and scurries back to his home position. The Flashes were a present from the New Years Eve fairy, woke up with them.
Floaters are small specks, clouds, dots, or little lines we see, they show up better with a blank wall or clear sky. (Or anytime we really want to focus on something)
They are actually small clumps of gel or cells inside the clear gel-like fluid that fills the inside of the eye. What we see is the shadow they cast on the back side of the eye, the layer of cells called the Retina.
Middle age brings on this condition, the gel decides then to shrink or thicken forming clumps or strands inside the eye. I guess it figures we have seen all the good stuff by then anyway.
The guys and gals that know all about these things, warn us to consult them and get an eye exam if we see new floaters, or to make things even worse for us, Flashes.
The Flashes, or milli-second bright white bands of light, to the side of your eye, is caused by the loose gel inside your eye when it pulls or rubs on the Retina, or lining of cells on the back of your eye.
Remember when you hit your head or eye and saw ‘stars’?; same sensation.

If a person wins the tri-fecta and sees new Floaters, Flashes, and loss of side vision, you are deep in ‘it’. You need to go and see the Ophthalmologist right away, you may have a torn retina, which will require surgery.
My brother has only one good eye now, the surgery for his torn Retina didn’t come out well.

My edit; Floater was in the way, had to correct spelling....

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
OZZ,
Thanks for the Golden Age Update. Sorry your brother's surgery did not help.
Happy New Year.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:21 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ozz, take care of those eyes, you are a window to the world for many of us.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have had all of what you described. Torn retina, surgery, on right eye. Flashes and floaters on the left eye. The surgery was successful with little loss of vision. My doctor cautioned me to watch for loss of vision when experiencing the flashes as it can be an indication of a torn retina. The joys of getting older.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
OZZ, Take care of yourself. The Golden Years are full of "Rust Years".
Keep on posting as I've enjoy and learned from every post you have made.
I've found that the more probelms/troubles I have that instead of looking down and trying to find answers, I look up and find them.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote