Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Let's talk generators.

We need to solicit some opinions and advice on the subject of generators.

Two dealers have told us that it is against code to install our Honda EU3000 gas generator in the compartment on the Big Sky so that it doesn't have to be lifted in and out each time its used. We are not going to argue the point because whatever is done, we want it safe and legal. We understand that some dealers somewhere have installed a similar generator. Wonder if the code thing is just Ohio? We have also heard that the EU3000 could be converted over to propane. Does anyone have any knowledge of this conversion or if it would be worth the cost and effort? We like the economy of this generator and would like to use it if at all possible. Maybe there is something that will lift it in and out for us. LOL.

We are not sure of the Onan generator that is a factory installed option in the Big Sky. One of my co-workers has a diesel Onan in his motor home. He complains regularly about the noise and frequent breakdowns and says he will never own another Onan product. One post here on the forum indicated that their Onan consumed two 30 lb. bottles of propane in under 13 hours. This does not give us a warm and fuzzy feeling toward Onan. Perhaps you could set us straight.

What are your opinions or suggestions? Thanks.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I put my 3000 Honda in my front compartment of my Monty but,I modified the exhaust so it would run down through the floor and out the side. I also put an exhaust fan in the compartment door to help circulate air. Works fine, I have used it with no problems.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
To me it's not worth the risk. Those generators aren't designed to do that. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a major problem! Many people die each year from it, and there is little warning.

Onan (my opinion only) is the best generator out there. Why else would most all manufacturers use it. We have had a few of them now with no problems. How often are you going to run your generator for 13 hrs? These campers are pretty self suficiant with out electricity. unless running your a/c for 13 hrs, then I wouldn't worry about it. We have an onan 5500 lp generator and it's very quiet.
I'm sure you'll get veried opinions out there, but not too many people will bad mouth an onan product (except for the cost).
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Not sure about the 3000 Honda but I know that I've seen ads in the past where Honda has both water and air cooled generators for the RVs. Might be worth talking with dealer and trading up -- or selling your's outright and buying a Honda for the RV. I just tried to find the ad and couldn't but kind of rushed right now. I know that Honda (and Yamaha) both make RV compatible generators that will go in the front compartment and meet code(s).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #5
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Onan is a very high quality product and nothing is immune from a problem here and there. With proper maintenance, any of the better name products out there that are designed for RV applications should serve you fine.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Don, I have my Honda 5500 permanently mounted. My dealer did this. I thought this is what you are / were trying to do. I now realize this may not be the intention, also you need the exhaust outside of the monty! The dealer did this also just like "gitrdun" 1 hole in the bottom piped outside they also added a muffler (very quite).

In the case of 2 gens I would upgrade to a bigger gen. One made for an RV application.

If I gave wrong info I'm sorry as I was referring only to what has been done with ours.
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with BillyRay on the CO. Don, you will not want your gen running all the time anyway. My 3000 Kipor - same as your Honda - has run all night and then some, as long as A/C is not running. But running continuosly can get expensive. I feel very happy at the fuel economy of my Kipor. One 3.5 gal tank in 15 hrs (A/C cuts it to 9 hrs). Sounds good - except that 3.5 gals @ 2.75/gal ~$9 to$ 10/ night of boondocking. Could push $20/ day of fuel to boondock.

A combination of battery bank (2 to 4 6v golf cart batteries), a 2K-3K inverter, along with a good gen is the best way to go. Solar is also an option, albeit expensive, that could be considered if a LOT of boondocking is planned.

BTW, I am only repeating here what the experts have posted here over the past 1 1/2 years that I have been reading on this tremendous forum. I personally am not that smart...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I have an Onan generator in our 2001 2880 Montana that we bought used. It was only one year old when bought. Over the past 5 years have only used it about a total of 1/2 hour and it starts every time after sitting for months. Is very quiet and is a propane model. No worry of carburator gumming up after sitting for months. Just retired about a 1 1/2 ago and will probably use it more in the future. A great unit.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I don't think I'd be trying to install a non built-in generator into my Monty, to save money. I have a Honda EM3000CC. It runs everything, But it will be chained to the frame of the trailer when I run it, not put it into a closed in area with no ventilation. Too risky, Life is short enough as it is..

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the Kipor 3500 that sits in the truck. We thought about installing it in the front compartment but were advised against it due to safety issues. I am not the expert in the safety area but listen to those who are. Also realized that in our style of camping we seldom use the generator and the space in the front compartment could be better used. We have many camping friends who use the Onan gen and although pricey, they are satisfied with the performance .
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
After reading your posts, we just would not feel safe trying to install the Honda in the Big Sky, therefore the Honda is out. It would be a great generator for use outside like has been mentioned. We just don't want to deal with the lifing. Anybody want a good generator? We bought it last summer when a line of tornados caused us to lose power for four days.

It seems that the only problem with the Onan is the walletectomy that is caused when you buy it. Seems like my friend that doesn't like his may be an isolated case. One dealer wants to talk about alternatives to the factory install. We will listen to what he says before making a decision. The saga continues......
Old 04-02-2007, 11:09 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don, how about mounting the Honda in the truck bed, run a power wire to the RV, have an electrician install an automatic transfer switch. That way, you only have to 'plug er in'
Eh?

I wired a pigtail into my front compartment feeding the transfer switch, all I have to do is plug in the generator.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Ozz, I thought about getting one of those generator boxes for the bed of the TV that looks like a diamond plate steel tool box. What concerns me is having adequate ventalation for our furry kids while we are out on the town. If the generator goes with the truck, how hot (or cold) will the Monty get while we are away for a few hours?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good point, in that case, you would have to unload the gen in hot weather. Of course all farmers are laughing at us now, having the pets and animals get hot when it gets hot, and cold when it gets cold...how pampered have we made our furkids!
I know I am reaching now, but maybe a removable pivoting small hoisting device??????
I have a hydraulic lifting tailgate on one of my trucks. Maybe overkill, just throwing ideas out there.
Makes those two Honda 2000's sound tasty about now...............
Old 04-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our 3000 Kipor is heavy, but occasionally can be lifted in and our of the truck. I can do it by myself, but if Cheryl is available, we both work on it. If we had to do that everyday, it would be a pain.

Last time I took it out of the truck was Nov 10th of last year. I will put it back in on the 22nd of this month and take it back out on the 27th. It will go back in the truck for the May Branson campout, then back out when we return back to our Bellaire CG.

I can live with that... Well worth that little piece of metal for a large peace of mind.

*On Edit~ I forgot to mention that I bought a nice large gas grill cover (heavy duty) at Target? and I use a bungie cord that goes all the way around the Kipor, snugging the cover. I put 2 of the 4 wheels on it so I can move it around better. I keep it under the 3400 rear electric outlet, cable locked to the scissor jack on that side. Put the full gas can right next to it and keep the Kipor full at all times (spectacular story of what happens in the middle of a huge thunderstorm/high winds/heavy rain/power outage one night when I realized I forgot to get gas for the Kipor...). I run the cable through the plastic handle of the gas container.

Also, when in the truck, it is up against the passenger side of the ext cab on my 2500HD, cable locked there. If we stop overnight at a Walmart/Cracker Barrel, I unhook and pull around to the back where I can plug right into the Kipor. Down in the bed, even in a Cracker Barrel parking lot, you can barely here it running 30-50 ft away. Also, is not running under our BR - exhaust.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
linda and chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6952
we bought a dock box from marine dealer and put a bolt on hitch and hitch carrier . the box sits in the carrier and put the generators in the vented dock box . works great onely 150 lbs st most .
linda and chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
linda and chas
Established Member

M.O.C. #6952
Almost forgot used metal roof vents on both sides to keep generators cool , in prosses to rig vents in box lid looking for plastic house trailer roof vents
linda and chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
DonandBonnie,
Whatever you end up with as a final product...... Make certain it is quiet! Everyone will appreciate you for doing so. This past winter at Quartzsite we had a small gathering and all or most of us used generators. A couple of folks had brought the "construction" type machines. Of course they supplied the juice but man were they loud! Even though they tried to reduce the noise by building some sound baffling things they were still much louder than the machines designed to run quietly.

Best advise is to get one that runs quietly.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:29 AM   #19
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
HamRad, quiet does us well. I have trouble sleeping next to something that sounds like a lawn mower.

The only safe and legal option for the gasoline Honda EU3000 would be to install it in the bed of the truck and power the Big Sky with an umbilical cord. As said, our concern is for our furry kids when we have to take the TV and leave them for the afternoon or evening, since the power source would go with us in the TV.

Several of you have mentioned that you use battery power. Could a bank of batteries in the Big Sky, charged by the generator in the bed of the RV, solve our problem? Enough batteries will power anything, what is reasonable. Will they run A/C and for how long? We will have fantastic fans in both the kitchen and the toilet room. Would one or both of these fans provide enough ventilation for the dogs without the a/c in hot temperatures when operating on battery only?

If this is not a feasible option, we will order the factory installed Onan. Again, thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Your A/C will not work with batteries and an Inverter, it would require too many batteries to make it practical.
The compressor requires up to 5 or 7 times running amps to start the system.
I have pictures of a set up that may work for a generator, I'll find the pictures and post them on another thread, also I have a picture of the extended run gas supply I'll post.