Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
New VISTA help!!

I just got a new laptop with the new windows vista operating system. It has lots of protection items---Norton Protection Center, Webroot Spy Sweeper, Phishing Filter, etc...

I am just learning how to use this new system and have a question. When I am reading the forum none of the weather banners from http://banners.wunderground.com are showing. I think it has something to do with the Phishing Filter, because that is what seems to be bogging it down. I am not computer literate and want to keep my new computer safe. All the weather bars in peoples signatures are just showing as the little red x in a box. Does anyone have a solution?

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Your weather banners are coming thru fine on my Vista laptop.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I am having a lot of problems with my new Vista laptop too. My biggest one is not being able to view my pictures that I post on my website and I don't know what to do about it either. It is so frustrating.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Thanks FireTruckerWife. Did you have to do anything or make any adjustment to your Internet Options to get the banners to show? I had the Geek Squad at Office Depot install Webroot Spy Sweeper, the full version of Norton Protection Center, and clean out a lot of the advertising junk & pop ups to increase speed. This was all done before delivery.

Helen, everything you have posted with your signature here shows up for me just fine. I checked out your website and all your photos are appearing for me. Can you see the weather bars under my signature here on the forum?
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yes Joyce, I can see it just fine and it looks like you are colder then we are in Silver Springs. We show 74 now

I can see my pictures on my website but I am having the problem on the page that I use to write the web. It is different than the one you view. Where I go to upload a picture I used to be able to view it before I posted it but now I can't. I'm not sure who to contact.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I have a dumb question but I am looking at getting a new laptop with Vista. I am wondering if any of you also got the package of windows stuff with excel, etc (and what do you have) or is the Works compatable with Word documents from other people.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Paul and Jan, My computer came with a 90 day free trial installed. A few years ago that would have been a must for me to have. In fact I purchased it for my XP but since I am retired I have no use for Excel, power point and those things anymore and don't want it. The works program works just fine for me and a whole lot cheaper.

Helen
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I know I have to turn off the popup blocker sometimes in order to see pictures. Don't know if this will help.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:53 AM   #9
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
thought it was me. glad to hear i am not the only one having problems with the new windows vista. bought a new desk top and can not use it because verizon dsl is not compatable with vista yet. new computer is sitting on floor and old xp back on desk. how frustrating.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
In talking with the folks at booster antenna.com today, they said there are alot of compatability problems with Vista and the mobile computing products. I was asking because I am in the "Buy a laptop" mode. They actually recommended that I get a machine with XP and pass on the Vista until they, (M$), get all the bugs worked out. I have been using a computer since they first came out in the early 80's and everytime M$ introduces a new OS it takes about six months to a year before the bugs are worked out. I do not want to go thru that again, especially on the road. My plan is to buy an XP Laptop so everything will work and possibly upgrade to Vista at a later date......Comments????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Phil, I'll let you know after my 15 year old grandson gets his hands on my Vista. He is a Guru and his mom works for Microsoft. So far thay have told me that I shoul have the office version and not the home version. They said that there have not been any problems with the Office version. I am on my way to Dallas to see them but will not be there until the 26th. We'll see what they come up with. I do feel that right now the xp is the best but a few years down the road they will be outdated and most pe[le want to keep their computers longer than that.

Helen
Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
From all the comments I've gotten, I think the idea of getting an "XP" laptop now and going to Vista in a year or two, after someone else has worked out the bugs, is a good idea.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Helen, I actually checked on the support for XP and several computer shops say there is still support for Win 98. I plan on at least 4 years with the new laptop. As I said in earlier post, I do not want compatability issues on the road. I think to go with XP for now is my primary choice. I remember when XP came out, not long after they had second edition. M$ just jumps the gun on these new releases and we have to pay for their testing. They get half way through beta testing, then they release and we all become beta testers. No thanks....
Old 03-15-2007, 05:22 AM   #14
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Last November we bought two new Dell laptops that are Vista Capable. We received a free upgrade to Vista when it became available and we received the upgrade last week. Last Saturday, we installed the upgrade on both computers. We followed the directions to the letter, but both computers were rendered pretty much inoperable. Nothing worked properly. We could log onto the internet, but when we tried to go to a different website, the computer froze up. We called Dell and spent about 6 quality hours on the phone with a very helpful technician. After discussions with his supervisor, it was determined that our computers had to be returned to their original state, so that's what they did, one "ticket" at a time. Mine was done on Saturday and things seemed to be okay. They called back on Sunday to "fix" Dave's computer.

After using the computers for a while on Sunday, we realized that while XP was back and we could use it, we had the same internet problems, and some of our other programs weren't working properly. After having spent a total of about 9 hours on the phone with Dell, we weren't ready to talk to them again on Sunday.

On Monday, while I was at work (only 69 more days!), Dave called Dell again and spent another 2 quality hours. This time he must have used the right words (probably can't repeat any of them here!!), because Dell sent out 2 brand new hard drives loaded with all the programs we originally ordered last November. My hard drive came in on Tuesday, Dave's should come in today. My computer is back to working perfectly.

Everyone we spoke to at Dell said that while Vista is a good operating system, it just isn't compatible with all the other programs out there yet. They advised us to wait 6-12 months before upgrading to Vista. After all the time spent trying to get our new computers to work again, I don't think we'll be upgrading to Vista - ever.

Bottom line, I would think long and hard before UPGRADING to Vista right now. I'm sure if you get a new computer that comes with Vista loaded, you'd be fine. Sorry for being so long-winded, but thought we should give you some food for thought. Good luck!
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:07 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I, too, have a new Dell notebook which qualifies for the free Vista upgrade. I have not received it yet, but do plan to get it. THEN I will let it 'sit' and may never install it.

Thank you, CanDO, for your report. I am not surprised, but it confirms my decision NOT to install Vista just because I have it coming from Dell.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Not only software compatibility, but drivers also.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, thanks a bunch for the updates. Looks like it will be an XP machine for sure. I ran the Vista compatability guide on my desktop and would have to change too many things out, including printer, go figure, video card, no thanks and remove some programs....Not at all worth it to me. On my way to Best Buy and Comp USA to look at XP Machines........
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, I did it, I bought an HP Laptop with XP in it. Brought it home, plugged it in, plugged in ethernet cable, called local ISP, configured internet and E-Mail and works great. Also bought a mouse and number keypad, but keypad will not work so it goes back tomorrow for another. Now if only I ould sell my house and the weather warm up......I must be dreaming again.......Life is almost GREAT!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #19
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CanDo
[programs out there yet. They advised us to wait 6-12 months before upgrading to Vista.
Funny (NOT) thing is that Dell is only selling VISTA with new laptops. We tried to order our laptop with XP one day and the order failed--timed out. The next day when we worked up the order again, ONLY VISTA was available. So, we got VISTA. So far so good. Trouble with pictures occasionally, but the MOC posts are coming though correctly. Vista really doesn't like our "home network" and disables it on a fairly regular basis, but DH has figured out how to get it going again, it's just an inconvenience. Microsoft then did some upgrade that made it not work, hubby had to remove that particular "upgrade" several times (after hours of phone "help"???) as it would reload itself each time we rebooted. He finally got it completely gone and it has done well since LOL and knock on wood. Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 AM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Sue, I hope you don't go through this for the next 6-12 months. I did have to look specifically at which machines still had XP. Actually wanted a Toshiba but ended up with an HP. Keep us posted on VISTA!!!