Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
How To Enlarge Queen Bed Frame Top

Spent some time with Larry (AKA HOOK) down at the Fayetteville Camping World yesterday and sure like the new Monty lines. But, I like the layout of the rig we have and the only improvement I would like to undertake at this time, other than the withering decals, is to replace the existing queen mattress with a larger one. Don't know the exact size we will put in there, but there is a good mattress factory nearby that can make us any size we want.
What I need to know is:
1. How to widen the existing plywood base by up to six inches on each side below the hinge.
2. If that is not a good idea, what do you recommend as a replacement base board to include where to get it if commercial, or home made variety plans.
Lastly, it was good to see Larry again.
Tim

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I just measured my base at 51.5" wide and believe all are the same size. I believe they just add a larger (wider) plywood, hinged portion, top for the King size.
I did the opposite and cut the edges by six inches on each side for a queen size mattress. The part of the top on the wall side of the hinge was smaller in width than my hinged portion of the top. So I just cut the hinged portion.
Therefore, I believe you could add a wider plywood section and make it King size.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I also did the reverse and went from king to queen. You will really notice the difference in usable floor space! Of course yours will be less instead of more. DW really had a hard time making the bed when it was king and she is a small lady.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Like John and David stated. The plywood from the hinge to the foot of the bed is just wider. I cut a king down to a queen. I think it was about 6" I cut off each side. Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ditto what every one else said. Lots more room going from queen to king. We did buy a ne mattress in Goshen and love it.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
slfaircloth
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13407
I think you will enjoy the King bed. We don't spend alot of time in the bedroom, but when sleeping with a sideways schnauzer, the extra room in the bed is much more comfortable!
slfaircloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We prefer the King, too, because in the bedroom the priority for us is to sleep comfortably. We'll tolerate the few minutes of tight fit to fix the King bed in favor of the hours spent on the bed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote