Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Fort De Soto Florida County Park

Has anyone traveled to Fort De Soto County Park in Florida? We enjoy biking and beach. Any information I have found on the net is really positive. Only negative is trying to get a campsite because it books early. Any information please email me at wdanielsc@juno.com. We are going 2009 1st 2 weeks in March.

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
That is really a busy time of year. Generally speaking it does not start to slow down until the middle or end of april. However speaking it is hard to get rental parking at the park. Try 727-577-6820 or Fax 727-577-2621. It is a beautiful park and the campground is really nice. No full hookup (use dump station). Better to try now and get the info because you will have to make reservations way ahead of time. If I can help in any other way send me an e-mail. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We can not make reservations until 6 months ahead, so I have it marked on the calendar to the day that I can call. Do you know anything about the bike trails? I acquired the map of the trails from the county and it looks like it just goes one way or the other, to return back you need to backtrack. Has lots of towns along the way. If I call 6 months ahead what do you think the possibilities would be to get a site? (Not that I am holding you to your opinion)
Old 04-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
cdaniels, We love Fort Desoto. Just be aware that the unpaved roads have some low limbs and you may have to sepentine as you go. Also go online and look at your campsite that you want. Look for the overhang limbs. Not all have 13 ft. clearance.
Some are cleared for pop ups and travel trailers.
LOOK UP before you back into a campsite!!!!!!!
Local county residents get a month jump start on others for making reservations.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hugh, I have went on line and looked at generic campground sites, is there a way to actually visualize the campsite you would like to pick and if so where do I go to get to it? Any alternative campground if we can not get in? KOA looks good but pricey but you get what you pay for so we are thinking it is our backup plan but any suggestions as a back up would be appreciated and we could look into it also. Going through the Trailer Life and researching and the net. Sometimes they present better in pic then they are, so if anyone has actually camped at a nice campground around that area I would appreciate your input.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Get on the Ft. Desoto web page and go to reservations. Look at the map of the park. Pet section is about 85-140 Pick any variable dates and go to make a reservation and the picture of the campsite will come up. Englarge the picture and look for the limbs.
Any problems...email me.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cdaniels

Hugh, I have went on line and looked at generic campground sites, is there a way to actually visualize the campsite you would like to pick and if so where do I go to get to it? Any alternative campground if we can not get in? KOA looks good but pricey but you get what you pay for so we are thinking it is our backup plan but any suggestions as a back up would be appreciated and we could look into it also. Going through the Trailer Life and researching and the net. Sometimes they present better in pic then they are, so if anyone has actually camped at a nice campground around that area I would appreciate your input.
So far most all info already given is pretty accurate. I just want to add....

If you are refering to the St. Petersburg / Madeira Beach KOA I would forget it.
In my opinion you never get what you pay for at any KOA but that's just my opinion. At the St. Petersburg / Madeira Beach KOA you absolutely don't get what you pay for. First of all to get into the KOA you travel down what is nothing more than a wide alley. This alley takes you through a run down industrial zone. If you do stay there get a site on gravel or concrete. We do get rain in March and many of the sites become mud holes.

As far as alternatives you can email deerahn as he lives in St Pete or me as I spend 7 months in Clearwater/Largo, Pinellas County about a 1/2 hour from Desoto. Never camped at Ft DEsoto but have visited there many times.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #8
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I have been to Fort DeSoto several times. It's a beautiful park but I won't take my Mountaineer in there. Two many low limbs and hard to manuever a large rig in there. Last time I was there I had a waterfront site and a 32 foot fiver. Because of the low hanging limbs and the narrow road, it took me about 45 minutes to get in the site where I wanted to be. I agree with Glenn on the Maderia Beach KOA.....
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We camped at Ft Desoto this past Feburary 2008 and it is a nice campground. As stated earlier, the trees are close to you on each side and above as you are driving into the campground sites. We were with a group of 4 and I would recommend site 150 - 151- 152. These sites are at the end of the pet campground. You will need to pay close attention while driving the road to the end of the campground, but these site should not be difficult to back into, the drive curves back toward the entrance and allows for room to maneuver. Site 151 and 152 have great views of the bay and had a little "beach".

We have a Montana 3400RL and one of the group has a Double Tree, both are 38/39 ft. outside and 13' 3" in height.

We were up at 12 midnight 6 months in advance to make our reservations. The campground was completely reserved in 20 minutes, so plan ahead and take a nap!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote