Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Tripod blocks.

I bought a fairly cheap tripod that has no screw adjustment, you just set it up under the pin by raising the front of the Monty with your landing gear and then lower your landing gear being careful to share the weight between the landing gear legs and the tripod.

This thing works pretty well but is a little short for a Monty so I cut some 4"x4" inch blocks and used my cut off saw set at 45 degrees to put a notch in the top of these blocks as the tripod feet have a rolled foot and they sit well in this notch. My driveway has a fair slope so I even needed another 2"x4"block under the notched 4X4.

I have the Combo washer dryer and when it goes into the spin cycle, the front jacks do help as well as for other activities which we won't go into at this point in time. Take care and have a great Easter.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f7...tures10029.jpg

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
It looks like they are working pretty well. My legs are adjustable and I have been experimenting in where exactly is the best angles to put the tripod legs at. Have them spread out quite far, or more straight up and down like your is. I haven't noticed a big difference either way but may be to the fact that I am at a different site each time I try something new.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Just last week while camping I could of used the blocks under mine too! The spot we have was so high and the tripod was to short. Thanks for the tip on this!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We had a lot of vibration with the washer until I got the wheel chocks. Still have a little, but nothing near like it was earlier.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wrenchtraveller and gkbutler, is there a chance something is amiss with your washer? maybe in its mounting? The only place we can feel ours at all is just outside the washer compartment you can feel a very slight tingle in the floor. That makes me think something is not right with yours?

I used to have a tripod that sounds like the one you have. I liked it. Easy to set up and break down. But, like you, I found it too short for most setup situations. The blocks sounds like a good solution to that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Steve,

I have checked the level and we are off a little bit on the front to back. I can't get into the back part to try to put the legs down on the washer. I have shimmed the front and we are level side to side, but front to back we aren't. I have no idea that is causing the vibration. But, I do have to say I had a lot of vibration prior to getting the wheel chocks. Now the washer vibrates when it justs starts the spin cycle and not during the entire time it is on spin.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
Looks like a good fix to help make things more solid. A stackable washer/dryer is on my wish list for next summer.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Wrenchtraveller and gkbutler, is there a chance something is amiss with your washer? maybe in its mounting? The only place we can feel ours at all is just outside the washer compartment you can feel a very slight tingle in the floor. That makes me think something is not right with yours?

I used to have a tripod that sounds like the one you have. I liked it. Easy to set up and break down. But, like you, I found it too short for most setup situations. The blocks sounds like a good solution to that.

Steve, We have the little Splendide washer dryer combo unit and our 06 2955RL has this unit in a corner of the bedroom closet so this area is prone to vibration. The Splendide is very quiet and you don't even know it is running until it goes into a spin cycle. It automatically balances the load but to do this it makes a few cycles to balance the load before spinning up to 1200 RPM. I believe in a better location, the unit would not vibrate the Fifth wheel but because of the location in my unit, you feel it a bit but no more than when my Doberman scatches herself up in the bedroom lol

We have heard a few negative comments about the Splendide but we absolutely love ours and we do a small load evey day and everything comes out nice. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the replies, both of you. It just didn't sound right to me but your explanations help me understand. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote