Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
sjroark

M.O.C. #23222
Furnace Question

I have a question, hoping someone can help. When we run our furnace, the warm air comes from the vents in the floor but cold air blows from the vents in the roof. Why is this? Is it supposed to? It just seems to make the furnace counter productive. Any advice?

sjroark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #2
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Your Montana model number and year would help get a response.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't bother. This is really common. The AC fans will run when the furnace does unless the fan is set to auto. Just set your fan to auto and everything will be fine.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
sjroark

M.O.C. #23222
2017 high country model number hm305rl
Old 01-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
sjroark

M.O.C. #23222
Thank you so much. We switched fan to auto and they went off. You are da bomb.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
AVMatt

M.O.C. #21948
Furnace Air Return

Hey guys, I have a follow up question that is furnace related, so I thought I’d ask it here. I’m new to the forum and greatly appreciate the insight and support you all provide. My wife has sent an intro post, but I’ll stick to the topic at hand here. My question is with regard to where air returns when running the furnace. We have a 2018 Montana High Country 385BR and the only place I could see would be the small space under the stairs. With that said, when I removed that vent under the stairs it seems like it is all completely sealed. If it’s not needed then we would just cover it completely, but I wanted to make sure that it wouldn’t impact the air exchange. Thanks for any insight! Matt
AVMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:27 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Your inside air is circulated through the heater which constantly adds heat to the inside air instead of trying to heat much colder outside air, and all that air must return to the furnace via those slots in the stair risers. For each series furnace, there is a minimum area of opening to allow that air to flow unrestricted so the maximum efficiency or the furnace is realized. This is a page from an Atwood furnace manual, and I believe the newer furnaces are labelled as Dometic who bought out Atwood, but still essentially the same furnace, and the lower part of the page shows the minimum amount of area required for these furnaces. Ours is an 85 series furnace, which I think most of them are, and for that series furnace, 65 square inches of area of an opening is required. I would not close off the area below the stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	furnace air requirements.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	259.3 KB
ID:	3053  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
AVMatt

M.O.C. #21948
Thanks so much Bob! Thats great info and much appreciated. In looking under the stairs, there is wiring that comes in and penetrates the wall, but those penetrations are stuffed with wool. I honestly cant remember if I did that when trying to seal off for mice, but I don't want to block the air if thats important. What do you think? Thanks again!
AVMatt is offline   Reply With Quote