Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #61
Forsch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20034
I recently followed the advice of a member with regard to wiring the 3rd A/C. I tracked down the power share box and separated the bedroom and middle A/C circuits. I then removed the wireing for the washer circuit (will never use it) and replaced it with the middle A/C’s wiring.

All three A/C’s work at the same time without any issues. We can even run the built in vacuum at the same time.

Total time took about 2 hours. It took me a little while to find the power control module. After locating the box it went fast.

2017 Montana 3160RL Legacy (6th trailer)
2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4X4
Love the cold, dislike the heat (A/C is my friend)
Forsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:22 AM   #62
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
[QUOTE=Forsch;1105963

Total time took about 2 hours. It took me a little while to find the power control module. After locating the box it went fast.[/QUOTE]

Can you share where you found the module, to maybe save someone some time?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #63
Forsch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20034
Sure. I have a 2017 3160 RL. I found the power share module behind the panel inside the curbside cubby. You remove the four screws and the panel lifts out. You then follow the yellow Romex wiring up to the top of the area you accessed. It ends up being just behind the stairs. The box is white and has three sets of yellow Romex wires running into it.

I hope this helps.

2017 Montana 3160RL Legacy (6th trailer)
2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4X4
Love the cold, dislike the heat (A/C is my friend)
Forsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #64
roypjacobs@aol.com

M.O.C. #26678
Help on 3rd AC Electrical

Kurt...I have the exact same year and model and had a 3rd AC installed. We also experienced the same conditions in Carlsbad a week ago. I would like to install a separate dedicated 20A line so that the 3rd AC can function separately as you have. Can you help with the following:
- Are the Power Share boxes behind the breaker panel. If so how did you access. Pulled the panel box out, from below????
- Which Power Share box has the 3rd AC. Front, rear, drivers side???
- Where did you run your connection on the RV for the shore power. Is it under the RV or inside?
- Did you include a new 20A breaker in-line somewhere or rely on the 20A breakers usually included with the shore power.

Thank you in advance for any help. Could you please reply to my email address at roypjacobs@aol.com.

Regards...Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeologyTek View Post
Ok...Here is the Deal on the 3rd a/c

I own a 2018 3811MS. I spend most of my time in Southern New Mexico around the Carlsbad area. Camping world installed the 3rd air conditioner for me when I purchased the unit.

The Weather: The temperature where I am at routinely climbs over 100 to 110. My unit is the oyster exterior so it is about the lightest color I could find. It is parked in a shop yard on black top (yes, I know its horrible but there is no where to live here).

My Life: I live in this unit full time and work in the oil field 7 days a week. When it is hot out I follow the golden rules. No heating up ovens, I take a cold shower, keep the doors closed, and I keep the awnings down as often as possible.

My Unit: The 2018 3811MS comes standard with 2 a/c units. A 15k heat pump & a/c combo for the rear of the coach and a 13.5k a/c for the bedroom, closet, and bathroom. They both are set up to circulate cold air through the 4" central vents in the ceiling, with the Whisper Air system. I added the 3rd 13.5k BTU for the kitchen.

The 3rd a/c: This unit is a 13.5K BTU DOMETIC Penguin 2 a/c only. It is a dump unit and is what I consider rather loud. But...It is worth it if you are going to hot places. EXCEPT FOR THE POWER SHARE SYSTEM

On May the 10th 2018 in Carlsbad New Mexico my thermostat was reading an outside temp of 110 degrees and with the 2 a/c's running the inside temp was 82. I sleep during the day and cant live like this.

The 3rd a/c is set up on a power share system that shares a circuit with the front unit. Heat rises and with the 3810ms having a black front window it causes the front cap to heat up quite a bit. This causes the the power share system to not work very well. To cool off the back you can turn the bedroom a/c off and turn the 3rd unit on. This leaves you with 28.5k BTU of cooling power at any one time. This was not cooling the trailer to a livable level. I added a 2nd circut to the camper to run all 3 a/c's at one time for a total of 70 amps and 42k BTU of cooling power. IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

The Power Share System: It is located behind the breaker panel/power converter box below my coat rack. It is a standard grey plastic 4" square electrical box that says Power Share System with a wiring diagram printed on the cover. It was pretty easy to locate. In my rig there are 2 Power Share boxes, the unit that controls the a/c's was to the right. I disconnected the 3rd a/c which is on the secondary line, the primary line that has control of the power share system is the front bedroom unit. I ran a 12awg 20amp line to the side of the trailer and added a shore power connector. I have a regular 12awg 75' extension cord that I plug in to an 20 amp circuit at my hook up. Now I have the standard 50amp hook up for the rig and a 20amp for the 3rd a/c. DOMETIC states that the 13.5k unit only uses 1731W and 15amps @ 115V. But, I ran a 20amp system for starting load...etc.

This has made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!! My rig went from 82 degrees to 72 degrees that day. I totally recommend this if you want to keep it cool!!

PLEASE PLEASE message me if you have any questions or would like any info on this!!

STAY COOL!
Kurt
roypjacobs@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:21 PM   #65
Jme1990je
Established Member

M.O.C. #26597
Added a third Brisk Air II today. We aren’t prepped for a third unit but had a fan-tastic vent in the living area in our 3750FL.
Managed to fish 10/2 romex from the roof, down to the fireplace.
I was going to add a separate 20amp service into the convenience center and power that way, but after some time looking at the breaker panel and how it is balanced between the two legs, I decided to run off of the 20amp breaker for the fireplace which is on the lighter loaded side of the panel.
Just used a manual control non ducted lower unit, as camping world near us didn’t have the control box for the CCC2 system we have. I may upgrade later on, but I do like the option of being able to shut off the front unit so easily.
Runs all three units on 50amp service just fine.
It was 98 this afternoon and right now the DW has a blanket out because all 3 units are cycling at 64 degrees!
Jme1990je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #66
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
3rd AC in Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsch View Post
Both are Dometic. I used the Blizzard NXT to match the unit in the main living area. 15,000 BTU.

The Blizzard NXT isn't low profile best I can figure? Does the little bit of extra high being in the center of the RV cause an issue with overall height at that point? I would think it would increase overall height a couple inches possibly versus using a low-profile unit?

Thanks,
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:52 AM   #67
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have 2 of the Blizzard NXT 15K units on our 3791RD. From what I was told, they are considered "low profile" for a 15K unit. I'm considering adding a third A/C also, but not because the 2 existing units can't keep up. They can actually freeze us out of the rig even in hot Florida in July/August. My problem is they won't stay running. They will run for a while then shut off and never turn back on until I reset them. I can't leave for more than a few minutes to enjoy my campsite or the area where we are camping for fear our 2 bulldogs will die from the heat. I am considering the third A/C with its own power and independent of the 2 Blizzard units so at least the dogs will have a fighting chance.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #68
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I have 2 of the Blizzard NXT 15K units on our 3791RD. From what I was told, they are considered "low profile" for a 15K unit. I'm considering adding a third A/C also, but not because the 2 existing units can't keep up. They can actually freeze us out of the rig even in hot Florida in July/August. My problem is they won't stay running. They will run for a while then shut off and never turn back on until I reset them. I can't leave for more than a few minutes to enjoy my campsite or the area where we are camping for fear our 2 bulldogs will die from the heat. I am considering the third A/C with its own power and independent of the 2 Blizzard units so at least the dogs will have a fighting chance.

Robert, do you run on auto and it shuts off? Ours seems to only like High or Low in order to keep running. On auto it will run, then shut off and more times than not, it will not turn back on.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:17 AM   #69
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
If I put the fan on high or low, the fan keeps running. The compressor will shut off and not turn back on so the unit continues blowing warmer and warmer air.
On Auto, it shuts off and doesn't come back on at all, fan nor compressor.
Originally, the theory was that the freeze sensor was causing the unit to not turn back on, and running fan on high should prevent that. Didn't work in my case. Brandon said his tech removed the freeze sensors and it didn't fix it for him either.
I'm at a loss.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #70
dbcustom
Established Member

M.O.C. #19738
3rd AC added

Mine came wired for a third AC and I did add the third AC in place of the kitchen vent. Works great but can only run two at a time. They installed a transfer switch so you can only run two at a time. So I installed an AC with the dump style vent.

On hot days I run the dump AC in the main living area along with the bedroom AC on the ducted system. Once it cools off I shut off the dump AC and turn on the main living area ducted AC and it works great

In south Louisiana in the 90's I am able to maintain 72-73 .

I have also check my line voltages and I am still balanced pretty well

dbcustom is offline   Reply With Quote