Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #1
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Refrigerator Operating on Gas

We are still checking out our 2017 3820FK while we are still inside the 1 year warranty period. Last night brought it home with a list of things that we still need to run through. One is the refrigerator (Norcold Side x Side) operating on gas. We know the electric side is good to go. Started it up last night and after the gas line purged it fired up and this AM the ice trays are frozen solid and the frig is cold. Maybe too cold, about 28 degrees but it is also empty. It was set at 8 but I turned it 6 to see if the refrigerator temp warms a skosh. I like a cold beer but not a froze beer. The question I have is in regard to the gas.... I think the gas/fire has been running constantly vs what I thought would be cool down period, gas turns off, and the comes back on when it needs to cool the refrigerator back down. Should the gas be on constantly or cycle off and on? Thanks in advance for help, Joe

FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
My only experience is with the Dometic. It cycles off and on. Seems to me the Norcold would need to do the same thing.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
With our 2010 that had the four door Norcold, gas cycled on and off.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I have never heard our Norcold cycle and was wondering if they did. We are not having a problem with it freezing anything out site the freezer portion of the unit.

We just did 4 days running on gas without any problem.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I here the flame start on the outside from time to time but can not hear cycling from the inside of the rig on our Norcold.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Our Norcold does cycle. However it gets colder on gas then it does on electricity. So when we change modes we have to adjust the temp setting.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are on 4 setting on our Norcold.It stays there and keeps everything at the proper temp/ Ice cream freezes ,etc.The fridge is usually pretty full.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
So I called Norcold, figured I'd get a rock solid answer, no joy. "Well the technicians say it's a large unit and the flame may run all the time." What I am learning is that this forum is the best source of knowledge. Mudchief your comment makes sense to me, maybe I just need to turn my temperature to a warmer setting, the temp inside my refrigerator is right at 30'. I just really don't want to return to CW, not ever again in this lifetime. They were supposed to have fixed the doors that were coming open and tripping the alarm, nope. Shimmed one but not the other so just did it myself.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Aviator

M.O.C. #11487
I had a similar problem with my Dometic. Things were freezing in the lower part of the fridge no matter where I set the temperature control. I called Bill Little at Lazy Days. He told me to look for a tube (or wire) inside the refrigerator compartment about 1/2 way down the back wall on the right side - it's the temperature sensor. It's supposed to go UP to a plastic holder just below the freezer compartment on the right side of the cooling fins. But my sensor had jiggled loose from the bracket, and was hanging DOWN just above the fruit crisper compartment at the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. I reattached it to the upper bracket and WALA! - problem solved. All temperatures returned back to NORMAL operation! This may or may not be your problem, but it only takes a few seconds to check, and it's a super easy fix if it is the problem.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #10
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
My norcold flame does not run constantly, it kicks on and off as needed. As someone else mentioned, it does get colder faster and stay colder on gas. I did have a problem with my thermistor last year, its like a 5 dollar part, I wasn't getting cold enough. Got the replacement online, problem solved. I spent a lot of time trouble shooting the fridge when I had this happen and learned a bunch of things. If you want to see if your fridge is working properly, u need to un hook the thermistor, and let the fridge run 24 hours, with a thermometer in a glass of water on the middle shelf. The temp of the water needs to be between 35-40 if I remember correctly, That is the normal cooling range. If you do that, and all is well, I would replace the thermistor. I got these tips right from Norcold and a private RV repair guy, that really knows his s&^(t Ill try and search the threads , I believe I posted all this info on here last year.
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Here is the link to my thread last year, might not be the same issue, but there are some great tips and numbers in here, and I had posted some info right from Norcold.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...Norcold+Fridge
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #12
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Thanks for all the feedback. Asked Norcold directly via email, they confirmed the gas/ flame should cycle. After letting it run a bit and monkeying around with the temp setting, it was cycling. Last thing I need to work through before retiring in the next 2-3 weeks and heading out FT is our water heater problem. Won't go into that saga as I have another post on it. Thanks for all the help, Joe
Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 AM   #13
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Had ours set at 4 most times in the last 2yrs although if it gets real hot (high 80-90's) for a few days with humidity we bump it up to 5 or 6 while it is hot outside. The fans cycle on and off as needed although I have no idea if the flame does similar, nor do I care as long as the stuff in the fridge and freezer stay cold. The important thing to remember is when the weather changes back from high humidity and temps and slides back into low 80's and high 70's remember to move the fridge back to 4 or eggs, tomatoes etc start freezing in the fridge.......
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote