Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
tundra rose
Established Member

M.O.C. #1359
Air Bag Pressure

I just installed Firestone Ride-Rite air bags (without the onboard compressor) on my TV and am ready for a test run this weekend. I'd appreciate knowing what air pressure that others have found to be good for towing a Montana and/or your procedure for leveling out the TV.

tundra rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Montana_3696
Established Member

M.O.C. #3696
the literature that came with our Air Lift Air Bags calls for a minimum of 10 pounds of pressure ... we usually run 15-20 pounds when running empty which actually increases on its own when a heavy load is applied ... we level via use of an onboard compressor, you'd have to take your loaded truck/camper to an air source and play with it to determine the pressure your rig will need to sit level

Jim
Montana_3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
If you jack up the rear end too high, you will change the angle of the u-joints in the drive shaft at the rear end and it may "shudder" under heavy accelleration with the Monty attached.

I had started out with 50lbs in the bags (3,xxxlb king pin weight) and dropped down to 35lbs before the shudder went away on our truck.

My $0.02 worth...

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I also installed the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags recently and do not have the on board compressor and gauges. Without the air bags my Monty had my truck down on the truck's overload springs. Best advice I can offer is to experiment with your rig to see what is right. The pressure that I run is 25# before the trailer is hitched up. Take into consideration that when you drop the trailer on the truck the bags will compress which will increase the pressure in the bags. On my rig the above 25# increases to about 45#. When empty I try to relieve the stiffness of the truck ride and drop the pressure down to 6-7#.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had those airbags on our trusty Silverado,It is trial and error as to the proper pressure.I always kept 20 LBs of air in the bags empty. You do not want run out of air as you will harm the bags. My TT had a hitch weight of @ 900 lbs and 40 lbs was right FOR ME. I think Eric has the method to try.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:44 AM   #6
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I air up to 20-24 lbs. before hooking up for the reason Charlie states. However, unlike most folks, I've run the same bags completely empty when not towing for 10 years without a failure.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I run mine at 15 lbs. empty and 60 lbs with the Montana on its back. I found that at 60 lbs we have a nice smooth ride and it is pretty level. You will just have to play around with it to get the best feel for your vehicle. I have the onboard compressor so it was easy for me to make the adjustments. Good luck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I ran them empty when solo on our '99 and am doing the same on this one without problem. If you bottom the suspension then I think there's potential for damage. With the strength of the springs on this thing I really doubt I'll ever bottom it out when solo.

Like the others, I found dropping the pin on the hitch increases the pressure. I haven't checked on this truck yet to see what pressure I need before hitching. I always drop the pin on the hitch first, then hit the switch to increase pressure.

As for what psi, a lot depends on how much sag your truck has under the load. That depends partially on the pinweight and partially on strength of the suspension. I found ours runs level and rides best at about 65 psi when towing. Sounds like there's a wide range about what works with different setups. You might carry a 12v compressor with air chuck so you can stop and adjust the psi until you get a feel for what is best for your situation.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 AM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

[...]As for what psi, a lot depends on how much sag your truck has under the load. That depends partially on the pinweight and partially on strength of the suspension. [...] Sounds like there's a wide range about what works with different setups. [...]
That goes to show you how individual each RV is and how important it is for us to not only state what we did, but how we did it and why we decided to to so. By detailing the methods, we have a better chance to communicate success to all.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Which of you GM owners installed the Firetson bags yourselves? I'm getting a set next month and will probably install myself. Is the Firestone 2250 bag set really a "no-drill" set? How tough was it to put the compressor in? Where did you put it? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #11
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I did not install the air bags myself, but my compressor is mounted on the drivers side rear quarter panel just before the tail gate. They are a little noisy so that is why the guy decided to install it back there.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote