Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2005, 04:07 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Prodigy Brake Controller

I note this morning that Camping World has a Prodigy Brake Controller on sale for $138.99. I could use an upgrade. Any comments would be appreciated especially from any who have used this controller and have installed it themselves. I will be looking today. Thanks

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Prodigy was easy to install and set up (as far as setups go). But before I paid that price, I would look at PPL at: http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...nsha%20Prodigy and by the $10 (approx) prefab plug and play harness they offer. If your not in Texas, no sales tax. Total of prodigy and harness, $120.00.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Padredw: David, I have the Prodigy and love it! Make sure they give you the right harness. Double check and then double check again. They gave me the wrong harness the first time and the Prodigy didn't work right. Easy to install and setup. Let us know when you get one and I will tell you what I found the best setting to be. I am sure Stiles will let you know his setting also. Stiles and I have the same model rig.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have the Prodigy also and love it.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Of all the aftermarket controllers we've had the Prodigy was heads and shoulders above the rest. Easy to install, easy to use, very smooth and forgiving. Set it once and forget it. No need to change it when the brakes are cold, then when they warm up, etc. It's not as smooth as the builtin controller in the new Fords but if we were going aftermarket again it would be a Prodigy. Just my opinion but I was never happy with any of the other aftermarket controllers we had.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
OK, friends, and thanks. I have just ordered the Prodigy and the wireing harness from PPL as Stiles suggested. Of course, I am, as he is, from Texas so I will have to pay the sales tax. Still came out a few dollars ahead and glad to do business with a Houston firm recommended by Stiles. Will let you know how I come out on the installation.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Can anyone tell me if the 1999 Ford F-250 super duty is wired for the brake controller from the factory?
Thanks,
Charlie
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Steve,
It is my understanding that Tekonsha (maker of the Prodigy) actually helped design the new Ford unit. It probably has some of the Prodigy technology in it.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlie and Sue

Can anyone tell me if the 1999 Ford F-250 super duty is wired for the brake controller from the factory?
Thanks,
Charlie
Sue, and Charlie and Sue, if it has the Tow Package then the answer is yes. We had a 1999 F350 superduty with tow package. The plug is under the dash. The adapter for the controller to plug was laying under the rear seat on ours. If you need the adapter and it's long gone, the Ford dealer should have it available or can get it.

Palebluedot, that's my understanding, too. Prodigy "guts" with input from the truck's computers. Even uses a different braking strategy when the truck's ABS kicks in. I'm very impressed with this controller.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:04 PM   #10
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Steve,
Here is a quote referring to this subject:

The Ford TowCommand trailer brake controller is built and engineered jointly with Tekonsha who is famous for their Prodigy trailer brake controller. With adjustable gain in a digital readout, the Ford "built into the dash" trailer brake controller was smooth braking even pulling a 15,000 lb triple axle conventional trailer. We did the fast lane changes and panic stopping on Ford's oval track. TowCommand being different from most aftermarket brake controllers, ties into the trucks hydraulics', so it senses truck brake pressure and can apply trailer brakes as fast as the truck's brakes. Master Brake Systems BrakeSmart trailer brake controller is the only controller that I knew of that tapped into the trucks hydraulic lines in modern trucks.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks. I remember seeing that. They don't say for sure it's Prodigy innards but everything else seems to point to that being the case. It sure is smooth, I do know that from experience.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Steve,
Thanks for the info.
Charlie
Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:07 AM   #13
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I would check Ebay as well, just got one, and shipping including, paid $108, and it was brand new, in the box.
Ebay is alwasy a good place to look, lots of brand new products, and I almost alwasy find things cheaper on EBay
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Just to finish up my portion of this topic: my Prodigy controller and harness arrived today from PPL (thanks, Stiles!). Controller = $109. Harness another $10. Of course, I had to pay shipping, and tax since I live in Texas, but I was glad to do business with a Houston business, and will keep them in mind for future needs.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Weather was finally favorable enough for me to get out and install the new Prodidy brake controller. Seemed to go well. The only problem I had was getting the cover off that "wiring box" on the pickup where I needed to plug in the new wiring harness. The rest was easy. Now I'm ready to try it out. The past few weeks have been unusually cool and wet, but better days are coming soon!