Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Toilet Burp??

Well the issues with toilet continue. My tread on the thetford leak lead to "no leak found" by the mobile RV guy while we were in Florida. Back home and no leaks since then. He installed a cutoff. We did have an unusual problem on our last CG before arriving home. We do not have sewer connection at home. Before leaving Florida, dumped as usual after three days the day before we left for last stop. Left one days stuff in all tanks for drive to last CG to dump. When hooked to water DW flushed and brown water came up into the bowl from drain to black tank. Clean water came from water hookup. Flushed the brown water and since then no problem. The next morning dumped and flushed okay. Clean water flowed after using the black tank flush, then closed black tank valve for 3 minutes to flush again. Then left black tank valve open and opened the two gray tanks' valves until clean water came out.
Is this the "burp" everyone talks about or something else? No problem draining the black tank at last stop as far as can tell. I am going to check the top vent to the black tank. By the way, mobile repair guy said he has not seen any more problems with thetford compared to Dometic. He said all brands seem to last about three to four years. He has 15 years experience.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
Well the issues with toilet continue. My tread on the thetford leak lead to "no leak found" by the mobile RV guy while we were in Florida. Back home and no leaks since then. He installed a cutoff. We did have an unusual problem on our last CG before arriving home. We do not have sewer connection at home. Before leaving Florida, dumped as usual after three days the day before we left for last stop. Left one days stuff in all tanks for drive to last CG to dump. When hooked to water DW flushed and brown water came up into the bowl from drain to black tank. Clean water came from water hookup. Flushed the brown water and since then no problem. The next morning dumped and flushed okay. Clean water flowed after using the black tank flush, then closed black tank valve for 3 minutes to flush again. Then left black tank valve open and opened the two gray tanks' valves until clean water came out.
Is this the "burp" everyone talks about or something else? No problem draining the black tank at last stop as far as can tell. I am going to check the top vent to the black tank. By the way, mobile repair guy said he has not seen any more problems with thetford compared to Dometic. He said all brands seem to last about three to four years. He has 15 years experience.

If you are taking about the Thetford Aqua magic 2 china bowl toilet. The rv repair guy doesn't know what he talking about. the Dometic 310, 320 are far superior to the aqua flood, and if you have that toilet it isn't the matter of if it floods your camper but when. We didn't listen to many, many people on this fine forum and paid the price. Now we have the 320 and the aqua flood went to the dumpster. Don't listen to him or you will be sorry.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Eagleback - we are back home and not traveling again until this September. We are not ignoring people's opinions! Just reporting what we were told by the repair person. This new problem could be the vent pipe or a pyramid. We will be taking to the dealer for some other items this summer and may well replace the toilet at that time. Just want someone's opinion on what could cause this new problem. This only happened the first time the toilet was used at the last CG. Stayed overnight and did our business and showers with no more brown water in bowl. Not sure the toilet is the cause of this new event. Not as concerned about the toilet since we have a cutoff, always turn water off when leaving and have leak detectors under sinks and toilet! And, will take to dealer some time this summer.
Have read about burps and pyramids but not about this particular problem. Just not sure a burp is what we had or not.
Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Our 2018 came with a Thetford Mod- 42070 style 11 high white tray, is this the same toilet you are talking about " Eagleback " ? And if not has anyone had issues with it ?
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
navybanker, can you expound about the leak detectors? Where do you get them and how are the installed? Thanks
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Purchased on Amazon. Someone else mentioned them some time back. They are battery powered and probably 2" x 4'. If your hands are moist and you pick them up they will go off! The brand is Zircon leak alerts. They are not expensive. We were traveling in the NE and stopped at a rest area and the one in the bath was going off. There was some water on the floor. How did that happen traveling. Talked to the dealer and they said the thetford has a swallow bowl and will splash out if too full while traveling. Now we leave very small amount of water in bowl while traveling. Two years and has not happened again. I try to remember to turn the water supply off when we leave the camper in a CG. Started doing this after seeing a neighbor's camper in a C G with water pouring out from under it. Turned his water off and left a note. He said he forgot he had the black tank flush on and ran an errand!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Thank you navybanker, I was unaware of these. Looks like a good investment!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Navybanker, do you keep your black tank valve open while at campgrounds? That will cause a pyramid, since all the water runs out leaving solids and TP behind. I am not sure what/how the plugged vent pipe does, but I think they say it causes burps too.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The "burp" everyone talks about is a burp of air that comes up through the toilet bowl when the tank is nearly full. That is an indication that the tank is nearly full and is in need of a dump. From my understanding the reason for the "burp" is the water and waste in the tank has reached the vent pipe and the air cannot escape through the vent when you flush the toilet and the only place the air can escape is up through the toilet, thus a "burp"!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thanks Rondo, was wondering if "burp" was just air. So, what happened to me appears to be something else. I do not keep the black tank valve open ever until I dump all tanks. The"brown" water happened when we set up at the last CG and when DW first used the toilet to pee. It didn't happen again. Actually, we used the facilities for two days not one as I first said before dumping. Emptied the tanks the afternoon before leaving for the last CG the next morning. Stayed one night at last CG and dumped the next morning. Usually dump every three days based on experience and the inaccurate sensors. Probably over thinking this and maybe the tank was full enough that the trip caused contents to move up into drain from toilet??? Doesn't seem logical but strange things happen. Travel with one days worth of black and gray waste many times. That is my limit. Going to check the vent on top of camper. Thanks everyone!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
If you are taking about the Thetford Aqua magic 2 china bowl toilet. The rv repair guy doesn't know what he talking about. the Dometic 310, 320 are far superior to the aqua flood, and if you have that toilet it isn't the matter of if it floods your camper but when. We didn't listen to many, many people on this fine forum and paid the price. Now we have the 320 and the aqua flood went to the dumpster. Don't listen to him or you will be sorry.
I second the RV Donetic 310, had those in my last 5er and current Montana, best on the market if you ask me
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote