Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 04:43 AM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Doggy do's and don'ts

We enjoy traveling with our "boy" Lobo and he enjoys it also and is no problem at all. There are a few times when his presence complicates life a bit. We don't expect to take him into restaurants and other places like that so we leave him in the vehicle. In hot weather this requires that we lock the vehicle with engine idling, AC on and parked close to a window that we can monitor things from. Don't do this in Sante Fee or other places with restrictive ordinaces. Shopping, meals in cafe etc have to be done as fast as possible and there are some places where we take turns walking the dog while the other person goes into the Mission, Trading Post, Rest area Building etc. We get by ok. This reminds me that I do need to raise that PSD idle speed but that is not the point of this story.

But there are a few things out there that we need to do some new planning to accomplish. We don't like the idea of leaving him in a strange kennel for the day while we take a bus tour or ferry ride (Makinaw Island as example)
We won't leave him alone in the Montana. ETC.... But we don't want to miss all of the side excursions.

Has someone got some other schemes for handling the situation to keep all of us safe, comfortable and happy? There are a lot of dogs on the road and there must be some strategies that we could learn from.

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:52 AM   #2
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Why did I put this topic here? Don't really know. I guess Sitting Around The Campfire makes me think of Whats Cooking.

Random Line
Old 08-05-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
dJim when we have this problem we have a dog leash tied under the sink with enough sticking out that keeps him on a short leash & put his bed there. It works for us.
gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Gene,

Thanks. I'm worried that our guy would wake up find us gone and create a hellish racket for the neighbors.

Jim
Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, let ole Carol jump in here,

Are we talking about stopping along the road at some really neat historical site (shopping, whatever), an unplanned stop in the middle of the day while driving from point A to point B??

If so, when it is hot, there is no alternative, unless you have Montana set up with solar panels, or generator with enough juice (power) to run the A/C in the rig while you are off site seeing and/or eating.

If it is under 75 degrees, especially if we can find a shady spot to park, we have put the kids in the 5er, opened one of the roof vents and turned on the Max Air vent fan. Pulling air through will keep it cool enough that the kids will not get heat stroke.

If, we are in a campground and hooked up to power, we turn the air on high, lock up the trailer and pray that the power does not go out. So far, so good.

If it is hot hot, and it is lunch time and we are traveling, we have 2 choices, 1.) grab something from the trailer and eat in truck with engine and a/c running. 2.) one of us goes into fast food joint of choice, buys grub, brings to truck and eat in truck with engine and a/c running. We just have a picnic in the truck!!

They say that on a hot summer day the temp can spike to over 110 in like 5 minutes, maybe 10. Those numbers may not be exact, but you get the idea. It just ain't safe to leave the kids in the truck when it is that hot, even if you leave the windows down some, it just gets too hot in there too fast and the kids are gonna be real sick or worse.

Yorks have very little reserve, they are such small kids, it is something that we have accepted as part of how we travel, how we live. I chose them, they did not choose me, so, I am responsible for keeping them healthy and safe to the best of my ability.

OK, off my soap box. Those of you who have been around awhile know I get carried away with pet safety! Sorry if I offended anyone.

Cheers,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:05 AM   #6
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
That was awesome and so true! You chose them not the other way around.

We have a plastic dog crate under the desk and that is where Cleo goes if we have to leave the CG for any length of time. We don't do it often but there have been times where you have things you need to do.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

OK, let ole Carol jump in here,

Are we talking about stopping along the road at some really neat historical site (shopping, whatever), an unplanned stop in the middle of the day while driving from point A to point B??

If so, when it is hot, there is no alternative, unless you have Montana set up with solar panels, or generator with enough juice (power) to run the A/C in the rig while you are off site seeing and/or eating.

If it is under 75 degrees, especially if we can find a shady spot to park, we have put the kids in the 5er, opened one of the roof vents and turned on the Max Air vent fan. Pulling air through will keep it cool enough that the kids will not get heat stroke.

If, we are in a campground and hooked up to power, we turn the air on high, lock up the trailer and pray that the power does not go out. So far, so good.

If it is hot hot, and it is lunch time and we are traveling, we have 2 choices, 1.) grab something from the trailer and eat in truck with engine and a/c running. 2.) one of us goes into fast food joint of choice, buys grub, brings to truck and eat in truck with engine and a/c running. We just have a picnic in the truck!!

They say that on a hot summer day the temp can spike to over 110 in like 5 minutes, maybe 10. Those numbers may not be exact, but you get the idea. It just ain't safe to leave the kids in the truck when it is that hot, even if you leave the windows down some, it just gets too hot in there too fast and the kids are gonna be real sick or worse.

Yorks have very little reserve, they are such small kids, it is something that we have accepted as part of how we travel, how we live. I chose them, they did not choose me, so, I am responsible for keeping them healthy and safe to the best of my ability.

OK, off my soap box. Those of you who have been around awhile know I get carried away with pet safety! Sorry if I offended anyone.

Cheers,

Carol
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:49 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Melissa

Dog crates, the most wonderful invention!

We have crates everywhere, truck, van, trailer, house. The dogs are not allowed to stay alone unless crated. It is not safe for them, and I can come home knowing I won't have any unpleasant surprises, like shreaded toilet paper, or dinner from the stove eaten. I have heard some wild, sometimes funny, sometimes sad, stories about the trouble a york can get into while mom and dad are not home.

My dogs love their crates and will lay in one just cause they want to!

Cheers, happy camping

Carol
Old 08-06-2004, 09:30 AM   #8
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Carol,

We had a lab that even after 2 years still couldn't be out of his crate if we weren't home. We would come home and he would have eaten the whole house I just know it. LOL He was eat while we were home. Dog crates next to invisible fence are the best things ever invented. LOL We had to have our inside unit on the counter at home or Sam (lab) would be counter surfing all the time and he at a whole pie while we had company and we were just sitting here. I couldn't get to him fast enough and he was just a chompin' away, didn't know he could eat that fast. I'll bet he didn't either.

Cleo can be left out in the house while we are gone and we do that but in the trailer if she ever got into anything, DH would give her the boot and I would really hate for that to happen. I love her too much so it's better that she's in the crate.

Thank goodness she isn't a barker, she very rarely barks or we could not have her in the crate, alone in the trailer.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Melissa and Mike S

Carol,

the whole house I just know it. LOL He was eat while we were home. Dog crates next to invisible fence are the best things ever
================================

For sure the electronic collar/fence is a wonderfull thing. Also the bark collar and the bird collar. But I guess we could utilize the crate a lot mor than we do. This fall (Rally trip) I think we will try that. During cool weather that may ease the problem to some extent. I guess we need to start some traing sessions on the crate.
Lately we have just used it as a back of truck confinement.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:09 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Barker breaker type units are good for some dogs, but made one of my yorks a basket case. Now, every loud noise, he turns into our "shake and bake", he pants, he shakes, he wants to be held, then not held. What a mess he is. Still love him tho!

Previous yorks got left in previous RV alone, they were NOT happy, wanted to be with mom and dad. End result, they chewed on the venetian blinds. Lucky for them (and us) there were extra links in that set of blinds, we were able to take the doggy bite links out and still had enough length to cover the window.

That was the last time they got left without a crate.

Cheers and happy camping

Carol
Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM   #11
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
As a dog owner I appreciate the comments about the care and feeding of pets along our travels. They do bring us a great deal of affection and love and we need to be aware of their special needs. Yes I do agree we select them and need to care for them. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:41 AM   #12
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh your poor little guy... I'm sure he is a mess. Cleo does that too on occassion, especially when there are loud noises like fireworks. I turn on the radio loud and open the closet door and she hides in there. LOL Gotta love 'em though. Mike just laughs at her but she's my baby and I wouldn't go w/out her.

Quote:

Barker breaker type units are good for some dogs, but made one of my yorks a basket case. Now, every loud noise, he turns into our "shake and bake", he pants, he shakes, he wants to be held, then not held. What a mess he is. Still love him tho!

Previous yorks got left in previous RV alone, they were NOT happy, wanted to be with mom and dad. End result, they chewed on the venetian blinds. Lucky for them (and us) there were extra links in that set of blinds, we were able to take the doggy bite links out and still had enough length to cover the window.

That was the last time they got left without a crate.

Cheers and happy camping

Carol
Old 08-09-2004, 05:29 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Melissa

IF, it storms at night, he pants and slobbers all over me, and I know that I will not be getting any sleep till the storm passes. I have tried pills from the vet, a herbal drop that is supposed to help calm, wrapping tightly and holding close. Nothing much works. Sometimes I just put him in a crate, and turn my back. (Right now he is up here helping me type, maybe he wants to hear what I am saying about him! HA HA)

And all this from 5 pounds of cuteness and spit fire!!

Cheers, (Captain Hook sends his best)

Carol
Old 08-09-2004, 05:59 AM   #14
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We travel with 2 Siberian Huskies and 2 Shih Tzu. The big ones, we leave crated, and the little ones can be loose in the trailer. We have found, that after all their chores are done, they are fed in the morning, they are ready for their afternoon nap. So we are free to go out to lunch, sightsee, etc until about 4-4:30 when they wake up an want to go out and have dinner. Watch them at home and see what THEIR schedule is and adjust yours to theirs. We also leave the TV on to cover outside noises, fans or AC on, and we don't travel in the busy, hot season.
Sharon
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #15
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Awww, he sounds so cute! Poor guy, there really isn't much more you can do for him. My Mom has a 12yo Jack Russell (Parson Russell Terrier) and would love a Yorkie when Emmy passes on.

Quote:

Melissa

IF, it storms at night, he pants and slobbers all over me, and I know that I will not be getting any sleep till the storm passes. I have tried pills from the vet, a herbal drop that is supposed to help calm, wrapping tightly and holding close. Nothing much works. Sometimes I just put him in a crate, and turn my back. (Right now he is up here helping me type, maybe he wants to hear what I am saying about him! HA HA)

And all this from 5 pounds of cuteness and spit fire!!

Cheers, (Captain Hook sends his best)

Carol
Old 08-09-2004, 03:40 PM   #16
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Randomline;

When we go anywhere we take both pets, Buff & Crystal. When on the road, they don't stay in the truck alone, we generally stop and get a fast food item when stopping to eat. If we are at our campsite and go on an excursion, they stay at home in the Monty with the AC running. Pets of course are just like kids; they need to be attended to before leaving, Buff needs to go for a walk to do his business, Crystal needs to have her food, usually placed in the front closet with the door opened far enough for her to find and Buff can't get to it. We make sure that the water dish is full before leaving. We put Crytal's litter box in the bottom of the TV cabinet in the Master Suite and leave the left door open. This has worked fine without any problems; we generally aren't gone more than 4-6 hours, just like at home when we are gone to work.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 AM   #17
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Sorry, I posted this on the wrong topic - it doesn't have anything to do with "another step closer"!

Knock on wood, we've never had trouble leaving Sophie and Chip in the trailer. We make sure they've been walked, have food and water and their beds. Windows open if it's cool or air conditioning on if it's not. They're 10 and 10 1/2 and spend most of the day napping whether at home or camping . The one thing that we do enjoy and would recommend is having an X pen (foldable play yard) for them at the camp site. That way they don't have to be chained and we don't have to worry about them wandering off. Of course we don't leave them in there unless we are closeby. Since greyhounds are used to traveling from their kennel to the track, they make great traveling companions. They hop in the back seat of the pickup (2 70 lb dogs pretty much fill it up) and lay down. We've traveled up to 9 hours in a day that way (with stops for water and walks of course). We've thought about getting a smaller dog when these two are gone, but would still want them to be people friendly, quiet, and as "easy" as Sophie and Chip are. Hope that's a long way off!

Jean
Montana_1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:20 PM   #18
Montana_2022
Established Member

M.O.C. #2022
We have a 5 year old female Lab that we have been able to leave in the camper since she was one. We cover the bed with a sheet, open the window curtains and she lays up there like a queen on her throne. She can see out and is able to see us when we come back. This has never been a problem. Obviously she is not a barker. We now have another Lab, 4 months old, and traveling with her for 2 weeks was a whole nother ball game. We crated her in a good sized wire crate and let the 5 year old have her usual place. They are both used to being left during the day so this was no problem for us when we wanted to do the tourist thing. We made sure that they both got lots of people time and excercise when we were with them though.
Pat and the "girls".
Montana_2022 is offline   Reply With Quote