Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #1
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Outside Running Lights -Covers Moisture/Cracks

Our 2011 Big Sky is in the shop to have the bearings repacked and checked out before we leave on an extended trip. It was pointed out to us that "all" of our running lights covers have moisture built up and some have cracked. The shop was very surprised to see this in an RV that is only 2 years old.

We are going to get them replaced, but I was curious if anyone else on the MOC has had the same problem and if so, do they know what was the cause?

Thanks,
Marge

mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #2
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Marge, I found the same thing after an especially rainy weekend. I removed the red and amber light covers and dried everything out. After I reinstalled them I used black electrical tape and wrapped a piece around the side of the light so it covered the seam between the colored lens and the base of the light. Haven't had a moisture problem since. A couple of the tape pieces did come loose a year or so later so I just replaced them in about 10 seconds. Hope it works for ya.

Kevin
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Kevin,

Thanks for the information. I just thought it was so weird that all of the light covers had moisture in them and they were also cracked. Wasn't sure if it had something to do with Keystone when they put them on. I thought I had read something about this on the Forum but when I did a search, nothing showed up. Sounds like they aren't sealed/fit correctly?
Glad to hear the black electrical tape works.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Slufoot733

Marge, I found the same thing after an especially rainy weekend. I removed the red and amber light covers and dried everything out. After I reinstalled them I used black electrical tape and wrapped a piece around the side of the light so it covered the seam between the colored lens and the base of the light. Haven't had a moisture problem since. A couple of the tape pieces did come loose a year or so later so I just replaced them in about 10 seconds. Hope it works for ya.

Kevin
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
None of our 10 (five front five back) running lights leak or get moisture in them. Each is totally sealed...around the edge between the lense and frame, and on top of each screw holding it in place.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote