Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Returning to the water filter subject again

Since the camping season is officially starting here tomorrow, I have convinced the DW that we really need to get a filter system installed on the rig. Typically, I lug five gallon jugs of water from the house everywhere we go. She is very particular about her water since that is practically the only thing she drinks besides coffee. We carry a zero water filter pitcher with us for her drinking water. I think I have zeroed in on a 3/8" under counter Culligan filter system that I will be installing after the initial trip this year. Yes, that means three jugs of water needing toted at just shy of 40 pounds each for the first trip, but hopefully for the last time. The model number of the Culligan I have settled on is a US-600A and it can use one of four different filters. Initial installed price will be about $60 and annual filter replacement at about $30. I think the under sink model will suit our needs since I really don't need to filter the shower, sink, washer and toilet water. If it works well, I might consider adding one for the bathroom sink. Uncle Sam finally gave our money back, so I can splurge a little now. Fuel tank will be ordered as will the filter system. Have decided to hold off on the tool box for a year to save some dollars for boat gas!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Used a culligan reverse osmosis unit on our sink at the stick house for over 20 years and the water was great. Culligan makes a good product.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am with your wife Bingo! I refuse to drink the water out of the trailer until Keith installs a 'REAL' filtration system on the trailer...not one of those rinky dink blue tubes!!! We have well water at our house and I have seen what 'grows' in water that has NOT been treated with a water softener or reverse osmosis system...and let's just say it is not pretty! When we have left the dogs water sit for a day or two at various campsites it grows the same stuff! YECH! I would drink it if we had the proper stuff so I will have him check on the Culligan system because it would be nice to not have to worry about it. Keith has told me that the water does not usually taste very good either so if you are someone who likes their coffee I can't imagine that would be very good coffee making water! Tell you wife I envy her and to enjoy!!!

As for your whining about lugging water around....NO COMMENT!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 AM   #4
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I have long used water filtration systems on my cruising boats and rv's. The approach I have found that works for me, is to use a whole house filter that contains a sediment only filter at the source. Inside, under the sink, I use a charcoal filter to remove the chlorine.

My thinking on this is that most city water is chlorinated, and that chlorination keeps the water reasonably free from stuff that grows in the water until you are ready to use it, thus the charcoal filter to remove the chlorine. Even if you just fill your tanks for a trip, leave the chlorine in the water, it too will help keep critters growing in the tanks. The sediment filter at the source takes out small pebbles and other junk flowing down the water system pipes. After a few months, it is amazing what the sediment filter has trapped and kept from entering your water system.

When I see someone with one of those CW hose filters dangling off the side of their rv, I just chuckle. No point suggesting anything to them, you just get that blank look for your efforts. Nothing beats a good RO system, but I found them to be overkill for rv use. Oh well, each to their own. When it comes to water discussions, they can go on forever.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
That's not nice. Making fun of me and my little blue filter...
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Internal plumbing, valves etc also appreciate a good filtering system.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Actually I was and still am considering the external in-line little blue filter just for the purposes of a sediment trap for all water entering the rig. I agree all of the internal plumbing would like that, but I also agree that they do nothing to promote the ingestive quality of the water. I am slowly re-educating myself on Level I, Level 2, etc.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #8
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Something filtering the water is better than no filtering. The little blue ones don't last very long. I have about 300 Gallons through the one I have now and it's letting chlorine through. Time to change it again. I plan on installing a better system in the future but the little blue filters are pretty convienent and easy to install for now. They only seem to last 2-3 weeks or maybe less with high chlorine levels. Had some really stinky water at a park in Georgia and the little blue filter helped a little when it was new. Didn't last long though. I think the flow rate is just a little to high for the little filter to be very effective at removing dissolved chemicals and minerals. However it should be good at removing sediment and it doesn't seem to restrict water flow.

Please share any information concerning filters with us, so that we can make better desicions down the road.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Admittedly I do have a whole house filter mounted near the water inlet on my fiver as there are some campgrounds that provide water you can't see thru .... but ..... (Tounge in cheek) I am in awe that most all of us grew up with zero water filtration ... drank it right out of the tap at home and are still here to talk about water filters today! Next week, I'll talk about growing up riding a bike with no helment, no knee pads, no bright shiney pants! Sorry waayyy off topic.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo, I have two filters and a water softener. I use the Berta water pitcher filter for my drinking water. If I added anything I would add a RO for just drinking water. The bad side is RO uses 2/3 to 3/4 of the water as waste. I would route that waste water back to my holding tank esepcially for Boon docking consideration. My down side is I would have to run an additional water line from the convince center to the rear kitchen through the floor. That is why I have not already done it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have been in Vegas since November, we have as usual two carbon/particulate filters before the softener. The softener here is a must. The city water here is VERY alkaline and eats water heater anodes and tanks very rapidly if not softened. The first week we were here there were three rigs here that need water heater tanks replaced. All opted for new heaters. One of the rigs had an Atwood which has a glass tank liner but it was so fouled with the white deposits that id no longer worked at all. My point being that if you are staying out here in the southwest (NV, AZ,) be aware of the city water conditions. Southern Nevada and all of Arizona have the most alkaline water in the country.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I don't mean to offend anyone who uses the little blue rinky dinky filter...we use one too!!!

However, we use it more for the protection of the RV than to make the water drinkable. Some of the CGs we stay at do NOT have city water and are pumping either cistern, or well water both of which goodness only knows how they have been treated. Some CGs have even had signs up saying that their water did not pass the tests for potability but could be used for showers/potty use. Let's be honest, I don't think many CGs have their water tested very often. Where we live there are a lot of nitrates in the water because of the farm fields.

You are right Dieselguy...I remember drinking out of the hose...which now is considered a HUGE NO NO! Somehow I survived! I can't pinpoint what changed but now I am a big ol' scardey cat! Maybe it is being a mother.

I would love to have a system but like John said...they use a lot of water to make RO water.
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:43 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The model number of the Culligan I have settled on is a US-600A and it can use one of four different filters. Initial installed price will be about $60 and annual filter replacement at about $30. I think the under sink model will suit our needs since I really don't need to filter the shower, sink, washer and toilet water. If it works well, I might consider adding one for the bathroom sink. Uncle Sam finally gave our money back, so I can splurge a little now. Fuel tank will be ordered as will the filter system. Have decided to hold off on the tool box for a year to save some dollars for boat gas!!
Bingo
Bingo,
Check out the RV Water Filter Store. Click on Ask Rick and tell him what you told us and he will fix you up. I've gotten my filter setup and filters from him since March 2002. Very good to deal with and won't sell you anything not needed.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #14
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Bingo,

We use a Pure Water Pitcher. We take in the house when we get home. Since you are not full timer, my concern about under counter mount would be the things that grown in it while you are sitting in storage.

Also part of my pack and unpack includes the water filter I use for all water going into the Montana. I don't leave it in the Montana while it sits in storage, for same reason.

Something else that I find that really helps water quality, is I drain the water header, fresh water take, and blow out water lines. When you know what socket you need for the water heater, the process only adds 5 minutes to the unload process. I leave the anode and fresh water drain cap off while I drive to storage, and install them when I get to storage. This gets the last of the water out.

If the Montana is going to be sitting in cold temps, I just add a little anti-freeze to the drains.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
After 3 months in SW Arizona we are thinking of a RO system from the RV Water Filter Store. The one I am looking at has 2 membranes and produces 1 gal of water out 2 1/2 gals. they recycle the brine water through the second membrane to reduce the waste water. I have talked to a few that have this system and they are very happy with it. I use a blue filter mostly as sediment filter and it was completely plugged in 3 mo. on our trip.
Our water at home in south western B.C. is very good and we notice the difference when we are in the south.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #16
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
For the first year we had the rig, I used a blue inline water filter. Upon traveling south the second year, found a leak just behind the convenience center. Looked behind the white panel and found an installed water filter on the city water line that had frozen and cracked. Am I the only one that got a filter from the factory or do all Montana's have them?
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #17
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We got an internal filter on our 08 Big Sky 340RLQ (3400). But the mount broke twice and I made a new one out of aluminum but then the plastic housing barfed the screws so I just took it out and continued to use my two external filters. It was also extremely hard to reach to change the filter element. They installed it behind the service bay and I found it easier to just remove the wall when changing it out. Now that it is gone I don't have to worry about it...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #18
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have two home style filters from the water filter store installed just in front of our water softener.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo, if your wife is used to R.O. water, I don't think she will be happy with anything less. You just can't beat the sweet taste of R.O.
I would buy water until you can install the R.O. system, it wasn't a bad install, and you are handy.
We LOVE ours.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I've posted this before but here's a link to my setup from the water filter store. Takes up little room in the basement storage and works great. First filter is a particulate one and the second filter is a carbon block. Perfect water all the time and no noticable decrease in pressure. Well worth the money.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1145520...FilterInstall#
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote