Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Q on using two 12 V batteries

If I had two deep cycle 12V batteries, could I get by living "off the grid" for two nights? Would I have enough juice to run a few LED lights, the furnace thermostat and the water pump sparingly? (plus the necessary carbon mono detector, etc). I do not have a generator (yet) but will be in southern Utah this Spring and really want to stay at some of the BLMs.

Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
if you have to run the furnace at night then I would doubt if you would make it 2 nights. Take the furnace out of the equation and you should be OK IMHO as long as you use things sparingly
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Flymutt,
I agree with Phil..... to a certain degree. Your usage sounds like you might just be able to make it on two batteries for a couple of nights. Mostly,as Phil indicates, it depends on how much your furnace runs. Give it a try. And keep your ears open for a small generator. I'd recommend a Honda 2000 or equivalent. Even a 1000 watt would keep you going without any problems. Good luck. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
Also keep in mind that you will have to bring in the rooms when you're finished, and that in itself uses a lot of power. I stayed all night in a WalMart lot and the furnace worked off/on about a dozen times. In the morning, there was just enough power to bring in the rooms. Just another consideration.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Or, purchase a Mr. Heater propane heater such as this:

Mr Heater

It will run for about 6 hours on a one-pound propane bottle or with an adapter hose and filter ($35) can be hooked up to a normal propane bottle. Cheaper than a generator and will save your batteries. We have one and it is an efficient alternative.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
As Bingo points out a propane heater can take the furnace out of the equation. The furnace will hog a lot out of the batteries. The propane heaters work great when dry camping.
Something to be aware of if you stay someplace on the road where it gets well below freezing. Your windows will ice over on the inside when using a propane heater inside the rig.
Robbie warned us in a post awhile back. Did I take notes? NO! It got 10 degrees out at a stop in NM on the way to AZ. I got up in the morning and thought I was in a painted fish tank. All melted out in an hour or two on the road. I left a top vent cracked open and a window cracked open overnight. Perhaps I needed more windows cracked open. Lesson learned and I will listen closer to Robbie the next time.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The key of being long times off the grid is to recharge the batteries everyday somehow - generators, solar, etc. If the batteries do run down a bit and you need to bring in the slides, I found that connecting the cord to the TV and with the TV engine running, its batteries can help provide additional juice. I'm not sure why this works since only a trickle charge is supposed to be going through the cord, but it does help with weak coach batteries. It will depend on how weak the rig batteries get.

I use portable gennys for recharging if I'm offgrid.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
If you are in the market for 2 batteries, consider 2 6 volt deep cycle batteries- 2 6s will produce considerally more amps over a longer time and last more discharges than 2 12s- Also adding a new battery to a used battery will pull the new battery down to the level of the old battery- JMHO- Good luck in your endeavors- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
While the extent of our boondocking is parking lot boondocking I have found that with 2 6v batteries(220ah) starting off at 12.4~12.5v when we stop. I can push out the 4 slides. Run a few lights for a few hours along with the TV maybe or the Microwave for a few minutes to warm up dinner, set the furnace between 55*~60* with outside temps in the mid 30*s my battery bank will be down to 12.0~12.1v by morning. Then we kick the furnace up to 70* as we start moving around plus run the water pump for a shower as we prepare to start our day. In the one hour or so that it takes us to get ready and pull the slides back in we will loose another .1v off the battery bank. (I need to add a meter to see how many ah we are really using). While we are aware we are on battery power and trying to conserve some, we could try harder but 2 nights in a row with out a chance for the batteries to recharge under these conditions I doubt we would make it. If we took the furnace out of the equation it would be much easier.

Personally I would look for a used 1000/2000kw inverter type generator to run for a few hours each day to top off the batteries or run it all night and you can keep your furnace running all night.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Mr Heater

It will run for about 6 hours on a one-pound propane bottle or with an adapter hose and filter ($35) can be hooked up to a normal propane bottle. Cheaper than a generator and will save your batteries. We have one and it is an efficient alternative.

Bingo
Curious how long you get out of a bottle with the Mr. Heater? I use the same bottles for my gas grill in the RV and for a really cold night that may be more efficient than running the generator so that we can run one of our electric ceramic heaters.

*** NEVER MIND, I reread and see you already answered my question. Trying to do too many things at one time ***
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Mr Heater

Bingo
Hey Bingo, this Mr. Heater thing has me intrigued. So, you crack a roof vent and/or a window to let some fresh air in? This is going to be a stupid question...how safe is this? I mean, with a gas heater running through the night? Or do you run it like, up until you "hit the sack" and then again early in the morning? I'd have to put the cats in the cage. I could see it now, poof!...2 cats with no hair!!!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The Mr Heaters seem fairly safe as they have low oxygen sensors and tip over sensors. For many countries simular style heaters are their source of regular heat in their homes. Mr Heaters are designed to be used as indoor heat so they should be fine. Now the cats, hmmmmm not sure how that would work out lol lol...a cage might be a good idea...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Or put the heater in a cage and let the cats enjoy their freedom, including the much needed access to the litter box. I have used our Mr. Heater in the garage with no issues. It is rated for indoor use so I would not see any problem with using it in a rig. The rigs are far from air-tight anyway, but opening a vent would not be a bad idea.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Here's what we use, a Coleman Procat Catalytic Heater.

http://www.coleman.com/product/5053A751#.UW94z7XCaSo
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote