Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Valve stem question

We just bought the TST tire monitoring system. Needless to say our valve stems are not positioned to install the sensors with any ease. Actually I can't get my paw in to get to remove the cap on the existing stem on the inside dually. We are currently camped north of Montgomery, AL. Today I went to four stores, one an RV dealer, one an auto parts store and two tire shops. None had any metal valve stems that would ease my problem, nor could they recommend any source to explore.

Any ideas out there where to get metal valve stems that ease the TST sensor application? I would prefer valve stems rather than extensions if possible. The extensions are just another source of a potential leak.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Don,

I'll be following this thread as I am in the same boat and banging my head against a wall. I have a Ford dually and have the TST monitors too. I have been to two tire stores, one even an industrial truck shop. No one can figure out a metal valve stem to bring out the inner dually, LET ALONE putting the TST monitor on it. The couldn't come up with the outer dually or even the front wheels where the sensors won't fit unless you could get a valve stem with a bend to get it out from the oval hand opening.

Thought Les Schwab was going to come through, but no there too. And they won't install the flexible lines because they had too much trouble with them leaking.

I can't believe there are not aftermarket valve stems to get these things out for easy filling and pressure checks. I found one company named Berg or Borg or something which has some kits, but nothing for the F-Series Ford.

Hopefully someone will be along and have an answer. I've seen how hard it is for the young guys at the shop to check my tires, and there's no way I can get my old carcass down there to do it regualary or at all probably.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Greg, Fun ain't it. I found one guy with valve stems bent the proper way, but they were made for semi tires and could not be adapted to fit my rims.

Also found another fun point. The existing valve stems, inner and outer, are both accessed through the same hole in the rim. You rake your hand over the outer in an attempt to reach the inner. While the guy had my tire off to determine that the truck valve stem wouldn't work, I had him repostiion the tire so that the inner valve stem could be accessed from an open hole in the rim. Can't do. Five openings in the rim and the only one that gains access to the inner stem is the one with the outer stem.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Big Tire shops have the correct valve stems. They normally support dump and 18 wheeler trucks or off road tires.
My stems have the nut on the inside and stick out about 2 inches.
I do have to pull the dully tires to easily get at them for inflation.
I hope this helps and I have the TST system.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Thanks, John. The one tire shop that tried to install a longer stem did some limited semi tire work. I'll find a full blown truck garage to see if they can help. I have the TST sensors on the front tires and love what I see. There is real comfort in being able to readily monitor your tire pressures and temperatures as you drive. Lot less hastle than messing with a tire guage too.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 AM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DonandBonnie

Thanks, John. The one tire shop that tried to install a longer stem did some limited semi tire work. I'll find a full blown truck garage to see if they can help. I have the TST sensors on the front tires and love what I see. There is real comfort in being able to readily monitor your tire pressures and temperatures as you drive. Lot less hastle than messing with a tire guage too.
Hey Don,

How did you get the sensors to fit on the front wheels? We have the same truck - I have stock wheels with oval cutouts (you can sort of see in the picture in my signature line). I can get the sensors screwed on, but there isn't enough room for an air chuck then or even a tire gauge becuase the sensor is right up against the wheel cutout.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Greg, My truck had a small extension on all tires. The thing is only about a half inch long. I removed them and they fit. I also bent the handle on the TST wrench straight out. It wasn't perfect but it worked. I am now considering cutting the handle off of the wrench entirely. It think I can use it more effectively without.

If you have those short extensions, don't throw them away if you remove them. I understand they are there because some air chucks won't fit without them.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I took Grilla glue and glued the sensor so you don't have to use the special tool. I can use my hand to screw them on or off. I figure the only person who would steal them would already have a system so they would have the tool to remove them. Had the dealer turn my duals so the valves are about 180 degrees apart to make it easier too.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 AM   #9
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Good point. Just how widespread is the threat of theft with these things?

I tried turning the duals, but my outter rims block access to to the inner valve stem in all positions except where the two stems are directly opposite each other.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Mission accomplished with the TST sensor application, but it isn't pretty. First of all, I got a response from one of the tire shops I visited. They checked with the rep from the company that provides their valve stems. Bottom line is that only some sort of custom built one of a kind valve stem would work. The inside dually stem would have to be bent at some wierd angles to get around the sensor on the outside wheel. The outside stem would have to have almost a 180 bend to give clearance for the wrench. None of this is remotely feasible.

I took a hint from 2007dura. Instead of Gorilla glue I attached the sensors snugly to the short extensions that came with the truck. With great effort I was able to force my hand between the inner and outer tires and working from the rear managed to screw the sensor onto the valve. Had to do the same thing with the outer wheel because the wrench just won't fit. Hope I don't need to air up very often. It's almost certain that I will have to remove the dual tires to add air.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
2007dura ... you don't have to glue anything if your not worried about theft ... simply remove the 3 tiny screws and the anti-theft shell comes right off. When it comes time to change the battery, you may wish you'd never glued it up. There is another alternative to all this ... see if you can trade your new sensors in on the new TST sensors that mount inside your wheels like OEM sensors do. They are about $20 each more. Read up on their website.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

2007dura ... you don't have to glue anything if your not worried about theft ... simply remove the 3 tiny screws and the anti-theft shell comes right off. When it comes time to change the battery, you may wish you'd never glued it up. There is another alternative to all this ... see if you can trade your new sensors in on the new TST sensors that mount inside your wheels like OEM sensors do. They are about $20 each more. Read up on their website.
I have the flow-through sensors and they don't seem to have anti-theft, they just screw on...

I thought about those internal sensors too, only problem is you're still stuck with the problem of checking pressure and adding air with those darn factory stems.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #13
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

There you go...! As I was reading thru the posts that's what I was going to suggest in both instances. I've removed the anti theft caps, checked, and they fit fine on the front.

And I haven't yet but plan to get the internal sensors for the duallys. I have bent an offset tire chuck and pressure gauge and now have no problems checking and filling the insides wheels. I do have short valve extenders on the wheels.

Before I get the internals I just what to get the valve stem dimensions to see how they compare.

On my Ford Powerstroke forum, one guy suggested that you look down between the duallys when checking or filling - I can fit my head up in the wheel well easily. It gives you a good view of the inside stem and makes checking and filling a bit easier.

Once I did that a few times and got the hang of it - it's no longer the big pain in the butt it used to be.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I don't see any screws on mine to remove. The idea for glueing came from TST. You can also remove the screw that holds the special tool together, and then use the metal part only to install them.
I have a King Ranch, so that might be why I can get the valve stems 180 degrees apart on mine.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Wouldn't it be a novel idea for a manufacturer to put out a product that was user friendly!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #16
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I don't have the screws on my sensors, either. Using the short valve stems that came with the truck is the best option that I've found. Not easy, but better than the other choices.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I contacted TST to see if they had any suggestions. They said their wheel contact is "Always Shiny Wheels and RV". I did not readily see something in a rigid extender so I shot off an inquiry to them. they do have the flexible ones, so I asked if they have ideas to reduce/eliminate the leaking they are known for. Will keep you posted.

http://store.alwaysshinywheelsandrv.com/
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #18
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Seahunter, Be careful of flexible valve stems, The weight of the sensor spinning at highway speeds could possible cause the flexible stem to snap. This happened a few years ago with our pressure pro sensors on rubber valve stems. May be less of a problem with the lighter weight TST sensors, but none the less a potential concern.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm just familiar with the non-flow thru sensors. They have a 2 piece shell around the actual sensor that is supposed to deter theft. It has to be removed before you can change the batteries. I'm curious ... what exactly did TST say as in gluing what to what? What sensors do you have? My tool is one piece sorta shaped like an F. Any photos?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Here's the flow-through sensor I have: