Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Traveling to New England

While diesel prices will dictate how far we actually get--we are planning a New England trip this Summer and Fall. Leaving San Antonio around July 1 and will be in New York, New England States and Eastern Canada in July and August. Question, do the RV parks in that neck of the woods book up solid for the summer?--I know many are only open from May to October. I plan on making some reservations but leaving other dates open. Comments are welcome.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
In my opinion you should get reservations for the weekends and any holidays. During the week it is much easier to get a site most places. Also if there are special events going on a like races, celebrations, etc., places tend to fill up.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Tim and Susan, It has been several years since we made that trip. Was in New England Sept & Oct. We never had a problem finding RV parks with vacancies even during the peak of the leaf looker season. Fuel was even cheap in those days. I do remember, as many of the locals informed us, Northern New England closes for the season on Columbus Day. We just got back from 3 weeks in Arkansas and Southern Missouri. Officials of both state parks systems as well as several independent parks told us occupancy was down 40% so far this year. They are attributing most of the decrease to fuel prices. Jim
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Yes, we figure that after Labor Day, reservation will not be a big deal--ONLY Diesel prices will be. Thanks for the responses.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tim, plan your trip and check for CG's along the way. Many of the CG's close after the Labor Day weekend. Some stay open until October. You need to check, or look for Walmarts. As stated, you most likely will not have a problem during the week, but weekends and holidays can be trying on the nerves. Also, special event days in local areas.

We have stayed at the Freeport/Durham KOA in Maine. It is about 6 miles from the L.L. Bean Home Outlet Store. I forgot where we stayed in New Hampshire, but I used the GPS to get to Freeport and I was on some roads that were pretty crooked, but we made it. Sometimes at 25 mph.

I hope you get to Newport, RI. There is a lot of history there and the Mansion tour (Self guided) is great. We went to 8 mansions in a two day span. About $60 bucks a person, but see if you can get the Senior's rate[]. If you do spend a few days there, go down to the pier around 11 a.m. and get a couple lobsters for $8 apiece. Back at the Monty, throw them on the grill.

There is a place about 20 miles out of Newport gong toward the Block Island Ferry. It is Firsherman's State Park and Campground. Nice and quiet - or so it was.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
Many parks and CG's close between Oct 15th to Oct 30th in Ct..MA. and R.I. There have been times we found some CG's full but there was always another one close in the area that wasn't full and would take you in. Weekends can be a problem so a reservation is advised. State parks in Ct normally do not allow pets so keep
that in mind if you are traveling with one. Most of these state parks are dry camping with no hook-ups but there are bath houses etc. and of course are less expensive then regular campgrounds. If you travel I-95 in Ct, most of the campgrounds are in the western side of the state with very few on the eastern side. What waymen stated is right on and you should really enjoy that area if you plan on going there. Enjoy and safe driving.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #7
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Tim,
I don't know when you plan on driving thru Maine but Bar Harbor, Camden and Boothbay Harbor are very popular in the summer and fall. You might want to check out those areas to see what there are for campgrounds and then decide if you want to make reservations or not.
I think it might depend on what you want to see and how far you want to drive to see them.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Bar Harbor (Acadia NP) is a must on your way back. Allow lots of time. Hadley Point Campground is great for this and one of the least expensive.. If you don't a get fhu site, they have a honey wagon that comes around for a reasonable price. I would try to get a reservation for there if you know when you plan to be there but they seem to find room for you even if you don't. The only other time we got reservations was over the Canada Day holiday..(July 1st) It is celebrated just like out 4th of July and most areas are really busy.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:04 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Bar Harbor and Boothbay are both on our "trip plan". We will get reservations for these popular spots. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #10
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Tim,

We were in New England and Eastern Canada June through the end of September last year.

I don't think you need to make reservations months in advance but, you will need to call ahead a day or two. Except for holiday weekends and around Bar Harbor. There you night want to make reservations maybe a month in advance.

The biggest issue we came across we "seasonals". These are RVs on permanent sites that are used during the season. It seemed that everywhere we went the RV Park were at least half full of seasonals sites. One place we stayed near the Thousand Islands of up state New York out of 100 sites they only had 6 available for traveling RVers. Needless to say ALL of the good sites had gone to the seasonals.

We found that most RV Parks and campground close at the end of September and I don't recall any that plan to be open after mid-October.

Also I second Helen's suggestion of Hadley Point Campground near Bar Harbor.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tim, When Cathy and I did the trip two years ago we were travelling with my sister and bil. They had a 5th wheel also. We had reservations the entire time. The NorthEast can get very congested and we found many CG's used by locals and spaces were at a premium, especially around the bigger cities and near holidays. Obviously, the choice is yours, just be sure to allow plenty of time to see everything and have a lobster for me.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Thanks to all my Montana friends. We are making reservations now and so far -- all OK! Yes the seasonal issue has bugged me the most but I realize the RV parks have to stay in business. I would expect little decrease in seasonal business with diesel prices heading into the unknown. So far, I have to eat lobster about 4 times a week for everyone! OH Well--someone has to do it!