Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
OK...I am convinced...if I see any more "puffs of white smoke" coming out of the rear of my truck, I will stop looking out of my rear view mirrors until the show is over.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

OK...I am convinced...if I see any more "puffs of white smoke" coming out of the rear of my truck, I will stop looking out of my rear view mirrors until the show is over.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #23
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Kinda sorta hijacking this post, but I'm with old turbo ... as each of this type of post gets mulled over, I'm sooooooooooooooooooo glad my old, dependable, non EGR, non catalytic convertered, non DPF, non dual turbo'd 7.3 Powerstroke sits in my garage. It may be down some on HP/torque and it may have lost its new truck smell, but it's dependable, low maintenance, and sure cost less come tag time. Heck, I think I'll go out and give her another coat of wax for Christmas!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never noticed white or any other smoke.We do keep up on the latest flashes. The only way we know we are in regen is by the increased EGT's on our aftermarket gage. Had 6% fuel in Oil at 10K miles
5% at 20K miles. The truck is stock and will remain so.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
GM made a change for the 2011 Duramax in that they added a 9th injector after the turbo in the exhaust. They no longer dump raw fuel into the engine on the exhaust stroke, but inject it directly into the exhaust after the turbo to raise the temp to complete a regen, thus the fuel contamination of the oil should be eliminated. I currently have several thousand miles on mine, so I'm sure I've been through numerous regens, but I never noticed any change in engine preformance nor could I even tell when it was taking place.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Like dieselguy said the old 7.3 is a great engine but like everything its all a comprise.
It sounds like GM is on the right track with their 9th injector. I think Rich changes oil at 5000 miles, and still had 6% fuel in his oil. I would not to be surprised to see a big class acton suit when these engines start wearings out too soon.
Back to the white smoke its really no big deal, its just water vapor. It don't even pollute the air in California.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #27
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Worst thing about dieselguy's truck is he says it lost the new truck smell. I guess this means that the trucks now smells like..... dieselguy. Not to worry, it's gotta be better than smelling like.... me.

Okay, kidding aside. I have the older 6.0 but newer than the 7.3 and sure hear about this DPF and stuff a lot. Is this only the 6.4L Ford and someone mentioned their 2011 Duramax does something similar? Are there other truck makes and models that do this? At least I can say my 6.0 has been good to me so far, but I'm just getting ready for its 60,000 miles service (oh boy). I'll do most of the work myself, but some work I'll need some kinda help. Now THAT'S when I'll worry when someone else touches my truck and screws something up. If I ever see white smoke it better mean a new Pope was picked.

I hear I will eventually be having to smog check this beast since I live in California. Has anyone ever done this with their diesel in California?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"I think Rich changes oil at 5000 miles, and still had 6% fuel in his oil" I Change every 6K miles and IMO there should be "0" Diesel in the oil. Ford says 5% is "OK" I am having it analyzed at this oil change next week.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #29
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Art, new tougher Fed std went into effect in 2010. Right now Dodge and Cummings seem to have gotten by without all the extra junk, but will only be a matter of time. Even the Big rigs are starting to use DEF (Diesel Exhauxt Fluid) so it will eventually affect all new diesel trucks, big of small.
My question is: With all this extra stuff usually decreases fuel mileage so we burn more fuel but cleaner, but are we really gaining anything. Cleaner burning, yet burning more of it?? I haven't gotten enough mileage on my new truck to really know how the mileage will compare to my 2005. So far towing the Monty it has been about the same 10 to 12 at 62 MPH, but with the exhaust brake it sure stops much better.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #30
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Please note that the Spartan Tuner was built specifically for the 6.4 Diesel only by two Ford Engineers ( they are likely building something for the 2011 6.7s now). It has been a superior product and is in thousands of 08, 09, & 10 Ford 6.4 diesels. Many of the guys that are running their trucks up north 24 hours a day in the mighty oil patch and some of the most extreme conditions; in all weather conditions, are running the Spartan tuner with the DPF delete and haven't looked back with absolutely no engine problems ( the exhaust has no restrictions whatsoever). I know a few guys that had their exhaust systems and engines replaced ( both warranty and past warranty) because of an original malfunctioning Filter system; yes to the tune of about $25,000 plus. My mechanical background just could not except that fuel guzzling, exhaust restricted regen DPF at every 150 to 200 miles; so I had to change to the Spartan when the truck was new; This has been about 18 months now of hard work amd we love the truck; it pulls 95% of the time!!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Art they all have a DPF.,and they all have the same trouble except the 2011 Chevy if they dont have the DPF.
Rich when I had 13% fuel in my oil my mechanic contacted Ford Motor Co and they said that was OK and besides that they did not go by what a oil report said. As far as I can tell Ford said 2% was OK in a 7.3, 5% was OK in a 6.0 but in the 6.4 almost any amount of fuel in the oil is OK. I have herd if people having 3 1/5 quarts of fuel in their oil, no problem. Led us know how this report turns out, good luck.
8e3ko you are wright the best computer people don't work Ford or any body else. They do something on their own. That is certainly true of Spartan. If you won't a trouble free Ford 6.4 get your self a Sparten tuner.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
From this point on I will want the oil analysis number to be included in the maint records kept by Ford and I will spring for the cost of the report every 10K miles. We have the ESP warranty from Ford so there will be no modifications. I want fuel in oil number to be on record.....just in case.

Now Ford will not pay for damage caused by contamination like bad fuel or water in the fuel as they do not warranty outside sources like Flying J, etc. However the fuel in oil is a inside source and the primary reason for warranty denial is....improper Maint/ not following the maint schedule, etc. What they are saying is that if you do the maint on the recommended schedule, in my case severe, Fuel will not build in the oil to a level that may cause damage.. This is why For does all my maint and I follow it to the letter.

Not saying I beleive that..but that is the story
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #33
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
One of the reasons Ford specked 15W 40 as a recommended oil to be use instead of the lower viscosities. (Interesting here as we use 0W 40 for the cold winters up north, the 15W 40 would be like tar until it warmed up!!!) On the 6.4s, this was mainly do to the crankcase dilution of fuel knocking dowe the oil viscosity with some numbers as high as 15%. Ford now is recommending a lower weight oil on the 2011s as they feel more confidence that the regen with urea does not permit as much fuel to enter the oil system ( simply a none use of diesel to burn the soot build up in the filter).
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote